1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Importance of a block plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Importance of a block plate?

This may sound like a rookie mistake and it is, but during the process of replacing trannys, it wasn't until I got everything clean and shinny, that I noticed the gap between the flywheel inspection cover, and the top of the bell housing & block. I didn't notice B4 when everything was old and dirty, so I just once again reassembled the way the PO had had it. Ok what I would like to know is the importance of a block plate ( I thought they were for starter support on certain applications). I now realize they are designed to keep debris out of the flex plate, starter, and torque converter. Do I "A" need to pull back the trans. to install one, "B" Fab a piece to cover exposed area until the next time I pull the trans., or "C" can I just leave it as is with just a inspection cover. Pro's & Con's welcome.

Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2014, 02:09 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I would put the plate back in....they give the lower part of the trans some support and I think that extra 1/8" is figured into the spacing between engine and trans. It also keeps water and grit out.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I've ran without one on my SBC engines for years... Never had a problem, not even with my 4x4's. I wouldn't say that something didn't hit it when I grenade my flywheel one time either... Not saying I had 35" tires, Posi rear end, and a lead foot didn't help either...

Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Jim,
Unfortunately I think I too would also recommend to install the block plate. Its one of those Ford better ideas and like Scott said, the clearances were designed to have the thickness of that plate in there. On GM applications that bellhousings bolt directly to the engine blocks and there is no block plate. GM used a dust shield to cover the lower exposed portion of the flywheel. Some of the 4x4 applications had a pretty substantial aluminum dust shield with some extra bracketry.

But for Ford applications I'm pretty sure that block plate is an important part.

By that way, and, I know this is going to sound a little strange.......but....your bottom end looks great! Thats a great looking oil pan.

Bobby

Old 01-19-2014, 05:22 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Scott, Moe, and Bobby, thank you for your responses, they are very appreciated. I just ordered a block plate from Summitt , its from "Performance Automatic" (#PA26445). I do want everything on this truck as right as I am capable making it. So with that said the easy part is done, now all I need to do is muster up the motivation to get back under the truck, and loosen that trans one more time. Im not quite sure when that will be , but I'll post it when I do. LOL (Go 49ers)

Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Without the plate the torque converter can put pressure on the crank and take out the thrust bearing.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
It's also very important for correct starter placement .

Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think ya would be having starter issues at least without it. I did, And still had some after installing it as the one I had was worn where the starter nose bolted in.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok here is my rookie question. That doesn't look like my y block? So .-... Is it a flathead?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Jim(car-9)it is a 302 SBF.

Jim(under the bridge), I would recommend having the plate, it helps index the starter.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My motto has always been "Whatever is hardest" and it is usually appropriate. Do it and you will feel better after your done.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with everyone else, Id find one. I had to straighten mine out very carefully. PO mus have disassembled with a crowbar? idk.

Nice oil pan!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Wow! I haven't been on the board since yesterday. Thank you everyone for all the good input. I guess I'll be installing it sooner than later. FTE rules!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Jim,
I feel for you. After all the issues you had with the tranny its got to be a little frustrating to have to dive back in there and pull it again.

You might be able to sneak the block plate in there without having to drop the tranny all the way out. I've replaced several flywheels on a variety of vehicles without dropping the trans. Might be a bit tougher with the block plate though.

Good luck with it. You'll get there
Bobby

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
I was just doing some internet research on how to install the block plate, and I have another question. As I understand it, the plate goes between the block and the flexplate and has its own 2 bolt holes to secure it to the block? If this is correct I'll need to separate trans from block while unbolting TQ. Con., remove flexplate, bolt plate to block, reinstall flexplate, slide trans back into position re securing TQ. Con., re bolt trans to block. Doe's that sound about right, besides D.S., shift linkage, and cooler ines?

Quick Reply: Importance of a block plate?