1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OH, WI, IL, IA, MN,MI, IN FTErs, it's Truckfest time

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM
durod
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could have a timed race to the top and plant a magnetic flag to the top. Low time wins. Maybe have three man teams. I would imagine that you would have to allow a handycap for falling off and possibly for cardiac arrest.

I would suggest you do this on Sunday as I currently beleive I will not be able to attend on Sunday.

Du

Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by durod
You could have a timed race to the top and plant a magnetic flag to the top. Low time wins. Maybe have three man teams. I would imagine that you would have to allow a handycap for falling off and possibly for cardiac arrest.

I would suggest you do this on Sunday as I currently believe I will not be able to attend on Sunday.

Du
You're going to fit right in.

Too bad about your availability. But the good news is you will be there for the one-legged endurance balancing contest on the edge of the manure pond. I'll pencil you in for the first heat.

DW

Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Thanks Abe.

Those big blue beauties were a kind of farmer prosperity measure back in the day. The more successful spreads could afford to migrate from the traditional stave or cement versions to the high tech solution. There were downsides - Bob mentioned the unloader as one- and they have fallen out of favor to other solutions.

They are a magnificent sight.

Now, if you want to talk grain storage bins, well sir Sukup is the name to know. If you think I'm kidding:
You want to be very careful during any discussion of stiffened versus non-stiffened bins. Just sayin'
DW
Yes, as a kid you could tell the "rich farmers" (read more in debt) from the struggling ones by the number of Harvest ores they had.... Now days, big time farmers are using trench silos. No need to blow silage to the top. My brother -in-law milks 1000 cows three times a day and has 3 big trench silos. Just dump the chopped corn in the trench with dump trucks and cover it with plastic. When its time to feed just use a front end loader.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Thanks Abe.

Those big blue beauties were a kind of farmer prosperity measure back in the day. The more successful spreads could afford to migrate from the traditional stave or cement versions to the high tech solution. There were downsides - Bob mentioned the unloader as one- and they have fallen out of favor to other solutions.

They are a magnificent sight.

Now, if you want to talk grain storage bins, well sir Sukup is the name to know. If you think I'm kidding:
You want to be very careful during any discussion of stiffened versus non-stiffened bins. Just sayin'
DW
Yes, as a kid you could tell the "rich farmers" (read "more in debt") from the struggling ones by the number of Harvestores they had.... Now days, big time farmers are using trench silos. No need to blow silage to the top. My brother -in-law milks 1000 cows three times a day and has 3 big trench silos. Just dump the chopped corn in the trench with dump trucks and cover it with plastic. When its time to feed just use a front end loader.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here I thought this is where you cheese makers put the cow pies

Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Computer problems

Hey guys, for some reason my home computer took a crap on me. It fires up Windows and allows me to use any program except internet related programs like Internet Explorer and Live Mail. It will open those two programs but then just stalls. Although it lists all the emails I've gotten it won't let me open individual emails. So for right now hold off on sending emails letting me know you're planning on coming. After trying to get the beast to work I have given up and I am taking it in for service. This usually means they'll reformat it and I'll lose everything I have on it.

I am using my shop computer and cell phone to check emails for now but I would like to save all the Truckfest related stuff saved on my home computer just to make everything in one place. I'll let you know as soon as I can to when I want the emails coming to my home.

BTW, my son has one Harvester from his grandparents and uses bag silos for the rest. They're like thick white garbage bags that are about 75 long and about 10 feet round. They work like bunker silos, sort of. Also, if your curious, there is a science of storing feed in silos. The feed has to "pickle" to preserve it. As he fills the bags he sprays a mild acid on the feed to help it ferment. When he seals the bags there's a small hole on one end and for about two days there is a constant flow of air out of the hole as the feed starts to ferment. After those two days he seals the hole and the bag is left alone for about a year. If the bag is damaged and a hole is put into it the entire bag of feed, I think he said it's 15 tons, can rot fairly quickly. Just thought you may like to know. The back of the farm looks like we're being invaded by giant white caterpillars.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
[QUOTE=bobj49f2;14013077]Hey guys, for some reason my home computer took a crap on me. It fires up Windows and allows me to use any program except internet related programs like Internet Explorer and Live Mail. It will open those two programs but then just stalls.

JMO, ditch IE and run Chrome or Firefox. I have all three installed and mainly use Chrome. There are other good browsers, as well. But, you probably know all this.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
They use the bunker storage in Germany for there sugar beets - Once they have enough beets in the bin they cover them with cow crap, top that with hay, plastic and tires - I saw one that didn't vent and self ignited - It blew parts and pieces for at least a 1/4 of a mile - no one injured unless you count the number of olfactory burn outs

Are we gonna play Cow Patty Frisby?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
I have been studying up on cow tipping!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
They use the bunker storage in Germany for there sugar beets - Once they have enough beets in the bin they cover them with cow crap, top that with hay, plastic and tires - I saw one that didn't vent and self ignited - It blew parts and pieces for at least a 1/4 of a mile - no one injured unless you count the number of olfactory burn outs

Speaking of beets and that thread on snow.... in PA , Penndot is experimenting with using beet juice brine as an additive to the salt they put on the roads.... other states are adding molasses. They both lower the melting point of ice and stick to the salt.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I personally liked the cow chip bingo in one of the above posts. I'll get some green and yellow utility marking paint. We could even go to a smaller scale, chicken bingo

I have a whole line up farm related activities:

Egg gathering contest

Calf roping

Fence painting

Hay baling and stacking

Cow manure gathering and piling

And then the finally, cow tipping.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
I have been studying up on cow tipping!
Well then, you're in charge of leading the cow tipping excursion along with being fire marshal. Both of these tend to be late night activities.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Hey, just found this picture I posted last year for the Flatlander Truckfest thread. It's a picture of the cow lane to the back of the farm, the big white thingies on the left side are bag silos.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
And here I thought those white thingies were full of this stuff

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Hey, just found this picture I posted last year for the Flatlander Truckfest thread. It's a picture of the cow lane to the back of the farm, the big white thingies on the left side are bag silos.

That's them, with the calf hutches in front. Does your son bale hay in the big round bales? And does he wrap them in plastic?

Quick Reply: OH, WI, IL, IA, MN,MI, IN FTErs, it's Truckfest time