1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Torque App on an OBS Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I haven't read the SD thread but you guys are losing me on the wireless. Surely, our PCM's don't put out wireless information, there has to be a connection to the PCM somehow? And yes, wireless bothers my wife also, no wireless in our house or camper, just ehternet cables. There is a book out called 'zapped' I think, in our modern world we are killing ourselves with electricity and wireless. Some schools are seeing the problem and not allowing wireless. When you live with a evorimentality sensitive partner like I do, then you become aware of a lot of things that a 'normal' person doesn't even think about. I'll stop now, I'm sure most don't even want to hear about it.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I haven't read the SD thread but you guys are losing me on the wireless. Surely, our PCM's don't put out wireless information, there has to be a connection to the PCM somehow? And yes, wireless bothers my wife also, no wireless in our house or camper, just ehternet cables. There is a book out called 'zapped' I think, in our modern world we are killing ourselves with electricity and wireless. Some schools are seeing the problem and not allowing wireless. When you live with a evorimentality sensitive partner like I do, then you become aware of a lot of things that a 'normal' person doesn't even think about. I'll stop now, I'm sure most don't even want to hear about it.

The module that plugs into the OBD II port transmits to your PC based smartphone or tablet, this one I think uses Bluetooth, some use a WiFi signal..

Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe it's through the dongle that you plug into the truck, Glenn. It uses Bluetooth. Which is wireless.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Nate, good job ... tried to rep you but no go.

Now .......... if you could find the PID for the Buzz test that would really be cool. You need the buzz test to download IDM codes to the PCM. I think the CC test is a waist of time as it's always giving false results.

Scan Gauge has a scan rate parameter, how fast it updates (1 - 5) so maybe the Torque device does too.

Overall, very impressed ...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks Corey and Thomas.

I also want to mention that this is one of the reasons I'm a OBS fan. My wife gets into a new vehicle and she wants out at the next corner. Most of our vehicles are twenty years old.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Corey and Thomas.

I also want to mention that this is one of the reasons I'm a OBS fan. My wife gets into a new vehicle and she wants out at the next corner. Most of our vehicles are twenty years old.
IMHO, less is more... I was just telling my girlfriend last night about people who have vehicles for transportation as opposed to people who have them because they like cars/trucks, enjoy driving and take pride in owning something they enjoy...

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM
bertolini
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are wired versions of the OBDII to Iphone/Ipad (and Android) interface as well, saw a few hanging on the shelf at a local cell phone storefront. One end plugs into the vehicle's OBD port, the other end plugs into your device. No Bluetooth, 3G/4G/LTE required. It allows you to use such apps in areas where wireless connections are not permitted (ie. secure govt. locations, certain school/university "no cell phone" areas). Turns your device into a conventional wired code reader/data screen. Perhaps this can mitigate issues one has with wireless signals and activity.

Also try looking here: ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software. I have been going back and forth to this site for ideas for other non OBS applications and have found some interesting stuff. Both Apple/Android compatible devices and lots of (some pricey$$$) options.

However most if not all of ScanTool's products are proprietary to their app which limits the comparison abilities, (your locked into using their equipment and programs...can't use their dongle/interface with another app and so on) but this app/set-up is also popular among other vehicle makes and seems to be liked. Again I have no experience with ScanTool on an OBS....another project for me and my computer geek girlfriend .

Hope this helps, I would like to play around more with these apps on Monday but my OBS currently has a valve cover removed....GPs/GPR and what not is taking priorities on my day off, then an ICP code has shown up (on a conventional scanner), cooling system needs a flush and recharge...so no app testing unless I get time.

-Craig

Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
IMHO, less is more... I was just telling my girlfriend last night about people who have vehicles for transportation as opposed to people who have them because they like cars/trucks, enjoy driving and take pride in owning something they enjoy...
Couldn't have said that better myself! My neighbor is always telling me to buy a new one and stop working on my truck. One day he said, don't you get tired of working on that truck, I said no, I get tired of you saying these things to me. He hasn't said a word about it since, LOLd

Originally Posted by bertolini
There are wired versions of the OBDII to Iphone/Ipad (and Android) interface as well, saw a few hanging on the shelf at a local cell phone storefront. One end plugs into the vehicle's OBD port, the other end plugs into your device. No Bluetooth, 3G/4G/LTE required. It allows you to use such apps in areas where wireless connections are not permitted (ie. secure govt. locations, certain school/university "no cell phone" areas). Turns your device into a conventional wired code reader/data screen. Perhaps this can mitigate issues one has with wireless signals and activity.

Also try looking here: ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software. I have been going back and forth to this site for ideas for other non OBS applications and have found some interesting stuff. Both Apple/Android compatible devices and lots of (some pricey$$$) options.

However most if not all of ScanTool's products are proprietary to their app which limits the comparison abilities, (your locked into using their equipment and programs...can't use their dongle/interface with another app and so on) but this app/set-up is also popular among other vehicle makes and seems to be liked. Again I have no experience with ScanTool on an OBS....another project for me and my computer geek girlfriend .

Hope this helps, I would like to play around more with these apps on Monday but my OBS currently has a valve cover removed....GPs/GPR and what not is taking priorities on my day off, then an ICP code has shown up (on a conventional scanner), cooling system needs a flush and recharge...so no app testing unless I get time.

-Craig
Thanks Craig, that's some good info that I put into favorites.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bertolini

-Craig
Link looks good, I saw a few interesting alternatives too for around the 180 range.. You just can't beat the 12 freeking bucks!!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM
bertolini
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link looks good, I saw a few interesting alternatives too for around the 180 range.. You just can't beat the 12 freeking bucks!!!!
Exactly. When I bought my wireless ELM327 dongle, I basically looked for the smallest sized one with multiple 5 star ratings at no more than $15 on Amazon. The port on one of my vehicles is rather close to my left leg and the car is a 5 speed. If the app and dongle didn't work as expected, I was only out $11.99 for the dongle and $4.95 for the app. Needless to say both work well in every OBDII vehicle in our little fleet, I have yet to use on the PSD.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
It has been a fairly common question that has come up lately as to whether the Torque app for Android devices will work on an OBS Powerstroke. In my attempt to find an economical way to monitor some basic engine parameters (and as a result of having others tell me this was possible) I came across THIS thread up in the SD section. I purchased the app and a cheap Bluetooth OBDII dongle. All I can say is WOW! This thing works great! So, for the rest of OBS-dom I thought I would do a little writeup and give some reassurabce that this is a very doable and economical alternative to buying AE or an Aeroforce Scangauge to monitor engine parameters.

First a word of caution. Don't expect this app to do everything that AutoEnginuity will do. AE is a very powerful piece of software and it does a lot more than this app is capable of (it had better, for about 20 times the price). So far, Torque will not monitor a few parameters that AE will (namely Throttle position) and it will not perform a Buzz Test or Cylinder Contribution Test. I also want to clarify that I have a 5 speed in my truck so I cannot verify that Torque will monitor anything in the E4OD. I suppose I could hook it up to my old truck and see what it will read if anyone is interested.

Now, for the obligatory specs and such. The BT dongle I am using is THIS one from Newegg. Supposedly there are others out there that work better (faster), are smaller, and will shut off automatically when the ignition is turned off (which this one doesn't) but this one is $12 and the other one (the one that is recommended and can be found HERE) is $100. So I took a gamble that the less expensive one would work and WHAT DO YOU KNOW!? It works. It's not perfect but for my curiosity's sake, it was worth a $12 gamble.

It works! I can see where a faster data throughput would be nice, but the slower speed works like somewhat a buffer and evens out the rapidly fluctuation readings of some parameters (ICP especially).

I have the app set up on both my phone Samsung Galaxy S III) and my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1) and it works really well with them both. The tablet is a lot easier to see everything on and really makes a nice display. I think I may have to find a creative place t mount it since I have a 5 speed, but it really seems to work well.

One thing I was unable to get on the display (that I would really like to have is the TPS position. I tried all 5 or 6 of the different PIDs and none of them display anything. I may have to work on that. All in all, I'm extremely happy with how well it works for the $17 I have in this setup!

The screens are completely customizable. You can change the size, number, type, scale, and style of the gauges on the home screen. You can have up to some ridiculous number of screens (17 or something) and a bunch of gauges on each page. There is a cool HUD display mode (I have yet to try) that mirrors the images off the windshield when it's dark. I may try that out later on.

The app pulls and resets trouble codes, reads tons of live data, wil log data out the wazoo and seems to work really well.

I like that the app is open source and everything is customizable. You can even edit the formulas for the different PIDs that are displayed. Don't like that the RPM's display in thousands, change the formula and have it display in hundreds, then change the gauge to read "RPM X10" There are a few little things that don't come right up and work like I liked them, but they were easily changed.

All in all, I really like this app. I may eventually invest in the better dongle, but for right now, the el-cheapo dongle works just fine! This is a great way to spend $20 and get the ability to pull and read data. I can't wait to start logging my drives and comparing data to help pinpoint the issue I'm dealing with now.
Nate, I just saw this thread! This is awesome. I wish I would have known before my trip. Where do I get the dongle? Thanks.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Awesome find! Will you keep this updated as you progress with the monitoring points, I'd consider buying a used tablet or other non "I" devise to monitor for sure.. What have you found that you can monitor so far or if its easier what cant you monitor? Do you see boost there somewhere? BTW, I just bought a Kenwood head unit similar to yours, love it...
NOTE; a quick search reveled this Sears.com I'm sure rolling w Nate's find would yield some "I" friendly hardware. If its ok w you Nate maybe this could be the Pioneering thread on wireless monitoring with people adding what they find?
So far I have found that I can monitor:
ICP Pressure
IPR D/C
Boost (through the MAP sensor)
Exhaust backpressure
Injector Pulsewidth
Engine Oil Temp
Charging system voltage
Engine Speed (RPM)
Vehicle Speed (MPH)
Intake Air Temperature (and it gives a verbal "Ice Warning" at startup if it is below freezing)

Other values I have not been able to get the app to monitor as of yet:
Throttle position
BARO (From the PCM, but it can read it through the tablet if you have a data connection IE-- Internet)
Injection Timing Advance
Coolant Temperature (because the PCM uses EOT instead)

I think it would also monitor transmission gear and T/C lockup (slip) if I had an automatic truck. I may just have to hook it up to my old truck and take it around the block to see what it reads on an auto.

I really like my Kenwood head unit too, Corey. I got it from Crutchfield a couple years ago and it has been well worth the money I spent on it.

As for the other app from Sears, there are a couple things that I would be careful of.

First is that not all apps will communicate with our trucks (like not all scanners will). I would do some investigation to see if it says explicitly that it will talk to a PSD as they seem to be a bit of an oddball.

Second, one of the huge advantages of the Torque app is its open architecture. The fact that you can get into the displays and parameters and edit the formulas to make changes is a big advantage. I have done that on a couple of the gauges already. For whatever reason the default value for injector pulsewidth was listed in microseconds and not milliseconds like most apps that are used for out trucks. It's not a huge deal as you can easily convert it in your head by moving the decimal 3 spaces, but since you can edit the formulas in Torque, I just changed the formula so it would show the value in ms instead, then I changed the label. I'm telling you, you can change just about EVERYTHING in this app. There are 6-8 different options for how the gauges look and the data is displayed, there must be 15-20 different pre-made themes that change the design and look of the gauges, the colors, the backgrounds, etc. If you don't find one you like you can make one for yourself. I may actually mess with that a bit and see if I can come up with something that is very similar to the look of the OBS gauges. You can change the range of the gauges, the high and low limits, set alarms for high or low values, which can do different hings on the display to alert you to the fact that the values are out of range. I'm telling you, there is a LOT going on there. I wouldn't doubt it that someone with sufficient know-how could figure out how to make the app do a buzz and CCT test. Again, I don't want to take cheap shots at Apple, but the open architecture thing is not something they really do well. They're very proprietary and protective and that has some definite benefits, but if you're like me and you want to play and fool around with stuff, then it really limits what you can do. Android was more or less built on the open architecture idea. Torque follows that ideology. It's a set of tools and the keys to the toolbox.

It is up to you what you decide to do with it. It's a great little piece of software and it's only $5. Five bucks! I have less than $20 in getting this to work. That's a heck of a value in my opinion. Can you tell I'm pretty stoked about this?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Nate, I just saw this thread! This is awesome. I wish I would have known before my trip. Where do I get the dongle? Thanks.
There is a link in my first post about where I got the dongle and which one I got. I got mine through Newegg.com. Be advised that these cheaper ones have been copied and there are knockoffs out there that have been known not to work at all.

I will say that if you intend to run it all the time, I think springing for the more expensive dongle would be worthwhile. The cheap one that I have works, but it doesn't turn off when you turn the vehicle off. It is also fairly large whereas the more expensive one is a lot smaller. It also requires that I enter the BT pairing PIN every time I pair the tablet to the dongle, which isn't a huge deal but would be a hassle if I use it all the time. The more expensive dongle (as per Tugly's review) can stay plugged into the truck all the time, shuts off after the vehicle is shut down and stays paired to the tablet. After I see how much I use this thing, I may go that route as an upgrade. I elected not to do so right away since I wasn't 100% sure the app would work at all for what I wanted to do. Now that I see what it can do, I may just get the better dongle and run it all the time.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Well I completed step 1 and 2. Haha. I went and bought a tablet, just happened to be the galaxy tab 2 10.1 like yours Nate. I bought it used at the local disk replay. Got it for quite a deal! And then I just ordered the dongle. I got the cheap one to start with. I'm pretty excited about it!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I think you'll be happy with that setup Thomas. I love my Tab 2. It's a little bigger than it needs to be for this purpose, but it's just the right size for everything else I use it for.

For what it's worth the only little hiccup I had when buying my dongle from Newegg was the tracking. They will process your order and then send you a tracking number when the item ships. For whatever reason my shipment came USPS (which is a frustration all it's own) but the tracking link was trying to track the package via FedEx. I initially tried the tracking number at USPS and it didn't work, but that's just because their tracking service is about worthless anyway. Got it in less than a week though and it works. I'm kind of **** about tracking numbers so it was kind of annoying to me, but I guess all is well that ends well.

Just don't get freaked out if the tracking doesn't work...

Quick Reply: Torque App on an OBS Powerstroke