6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Geometry problem 3.5" SST Readylift

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geometry problem 3.5" SST Readylift

I was looking to see if anyone had suggestions on how I could solve my problem. I have a 3.5/3.0 Stage 4 Readylift installed on my truck @3000miles. I've been noticing a popping noise in my steering ever since 5000miles. I finally got my truck diagnosed by my dealer (33000miles) after several trip to another dealer, and I was told the drag link was faulty and so it was replaced.

After just 1000miles, the popping came back. The same dealer looked at it and realized the drag link was failing due to the extreme angle the drag link was sitting with the lift installed. They pointed out to me in person how the ball joints of the drag link connecting to the pitman arm and the wheel were at their maximum articulation at just riding height. They mentioned that if I were to hit any bumps or potholes, it could cause these joints to flex even further, and cause damage to the joints. I compared the drag link angle to another truck sitting on the lot, and I could see a noticeable difference.

The dealer also showed me the damaged drag link he pulled off my truck. The ball joints on both ends had deformation that made the socket opening oblong (oval). He said the socket should be perfectly round. He suggested that a pitman drop of some sort would be need to get the drag link joints back in a neutral position, to allow for travel movement.

I looked online a saw that Rancho supplies a 3.5" pitman drop with their 4" lift kit. I tried ordering one, but the availability is 4weeks. I called skyjacker and they had a pitman drop FA450 that has a 3.5" drop as well, so I ordered it bc it was in stock.

This pitman drop had the drag link joint at a good angle. But now with the much shorter Readylift trackbar drop bracket (looks to be about 1" drop more than factory bracket), the trac bar and drag link are no longer parallel, causing extreme bump steer. The pitman drop also hits the trackbar drop bracket when turning the wheel all the was to the right.

Talking to Skyjacker, they recommended their trac bar bracket TB1146 would get the geometry correct and fit the bump steer. I just don't know if that would fix 1 problem but then cause another, like the pitman drop did. Additional trac bar drop would likely push the axle out the passenger side, since the Readylift bracket actually has it perfectly centered.

I don't know if there is a way to fix this or if I should just yank the whole lift off and cut my losses where I stand....

Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
There is always* a way to solve issues like this, just hang in there. It looks like you have done some research so you're already half way there.

The stock drag link is about 43" long and sits at 3 deg stock. Your lift changes this to about 8 deg, not what I consider extreme, but it sounds like it is causing problems.

One possible solution is to fix the bump steer with a larger track bar drop bracket. Pro comp 62687 is listed at 2.5-3.5. Not sure if this will help or worsen the interference issue.

Any drop pitman arm will shorten the life of the steering box sector shaft bearings due to the increased leverage.

Have you contacted Readylift? I would also call some reputable off road shops and see if they have solved this issue before.

Good luck.

*Just add $$

Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM
RAPR
Senior User
the only response I have gotten from lift companies and from ReadyLift is that I shouldn't need a drop pitman with a lift less than 4.5". Well obviously that isnt the case if I keep going through drag links like potato chips....

i haven't gotten any helpful responses from the company that installed the lift either.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have something else wrong with your truck. Mine has been lifted for 20,000 miles with a 4.5" lift. I'm not using a drop pitman arm or track bar drop bracket. I'm only using an adjustable track bar and haven't had any issues at all. Ruining a drag link in 1000 miles, something else is wrong. The angle of your drag link with a 3.5" lift shouldnt cause any problems so something else must be causing the failures.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Did you change the shocks? My line of thinking is if they gave you too long of shocks that it might be causing it to be overextended.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:37 PM
stangr8cr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same exact kit installed on my truck for almost 10k miles with no issues. I too think something else may be causing your issues.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
RAPR
Senior User
all i have is the Rancho RS999043 shocks installed and the Rancho dual stabilizer installed on my truck. I am just planning to remove the entire lift kit and see what happens. If i continue to have problems after i go back to factory ride, I'll just have to claim Lemon Law or something....since my factory warranty will soon be up

Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this kit on for a few months and didn't have any issues during that time. I still have all the parts actually.

Do you have any photographs of the damage to the suspension components? Or the way it sits right now?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM
RAPR
Senior User
since i recently had a drop pitman arm install, i can only provide the only picture i have of what the steer linkage looked like before. I do not have pictures of the link damage.

please ignore the red circle i previously put on the picture. it was for my previous examination to what i though could be a problem...

Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 PM
RAPR
Senior User
I'm almost wondering if it's because I have the gas engine, instead of the diesel. I already had to go beyond the efforts of most people, to get a lift this size installed. Because of the catalytic converter being in the way, I had a custom small OD 4x4 driveshaft made to fit. Most other gasser owners would have just read the notice "fitment on diesel F250 only", and would not have called to confirm the reason and/or find a solution like I did. Anything over 2.5" lift requires my mod.

Anyways, my possible reasoning is that I assume the gasser and 6.7 likely share 100% of the suspension and steering components. However, I only assume the 6.7 engine weighs a few hundred more pounds than my 6.2 gasser. This would seem that my front end would sit higher than anyone else that had the same lift. Also, any testing done by Readylift would have been with a 6.7, for ease of testing.

In fact, I measured a while back the height of the wheel fenders of front and rear. The peak of the front fenders were actually .25"-.5" higher than the rear, with 4 fairly new tires. I know this isn't scientific, but the kit is stated to leave a very slight forward rake...and mine is actually nose high slightly. My thinking is that this little extra might be the reason my truck flirts with the drag link max range. I could also just be over thinking this all (I am a mechanical engineer and tend to do that)

Maybe I should just start driving around with a few sandbags in the passenger side from now on LOL?!?