Winter "Hot Rod" M-47 - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Winter "Hot Rod" M-47

Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 PM
frosh1
Freshman User
frosh1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Floor hump build

Thanks for the comments!
Here's another picture of the new stiffener channel welded in place. It's worth mentioning that I did cut a flange off the transfer case housing so I could keep my part symmetrical. There are a few pointless flanges/bosses where the two halves of the transfer case meet that I imagine may have been drilled or tapped based on year and application.

Rear floor section made from 18Ga added in.

I figure I have almost 6' of continuous welds into my patch... it took a while to weld using spot welds on spot welds to minimize heat distortion

I'm leaving the front part open for the time being. I haven't decided whether to build a new removable cover over the transmission or just weld it shut entirely... I'm leaning towards the latter. At this point I just want to get the cab rust repair finished, get the cab bolted to the frame and get important things like steering, brakes and throttle all mounted before I worry about these smaller details... suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 AM
frosh1
Freshman User
Well I'm not sure how many more days before my truck goes into storage again, but it will probably be this week. I haven't had much time to spend on it lately, but I'm still trying to get the cab finished enough so it can be mounted to the frame... I'm getting sick of hearing myself say that too. Here's the last corner I'm tackling on the right rear of the truck. First picture is on the inside member with the rear frame mount removed.

Second picture shows cutting out the really rusty metal. Yes, you can see all the way back through the cab.

Third picture today shows how rust eaten the original parts were... bottom of the jamb was missing an easy 1" of metal. And the new parts I fashioned up in my trusty vice.

Last picture today shows the jamb welded back in, with the next piece ready to be welded in. Wasn't happy with the welding today as I was welding underneath on my back and had a couple hot sparks get through the buttoned seam on my welding jacket and burn one of my favorite t-shirts. Being in a rotten mood, I decided to leave the rest of the grinding/welding for another day.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
The shirt died for a noble cause.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 AM
frosh1
Freshman User
While I've been too busy to post lately, I have still managed to find some time to get the rust repair done on the cab. Here's the bottom almost wrapped up except for one more discovery under the gas tank area..

Additional rust hidden under where the gas tank mounts an unexpected surprise, as I'd never had the cab tipped over up to this point. I should have done this much earlier as the welding was so much easier than lying on my backunderneath aas much of it had been done... hindsight!

This allowed to finish putting a POR-15 like product over the underside followed by a bedliner product. The finished underside:

I am super happy with the end result that boxliner really armoured up the bottom. I just wish the whole rust removal hadn't eaten some much time (only 2 months behind schedule) . I'll post pictures of mounting the cab to the frame next time.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
nice work! Thanks for the update.