Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuel Tank too far gone?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM
ZSK
Senior User
ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.
Fuel Tank too far gone?

Need a couple opinions on this one. I found a local shop that repairs radiators and heat exchangers, I was going to give them a call to see if they do fuels tanks, but if mine is too far gone I won't waste the time.

For what it's worth, the tank doesn't leak. No fumes in the cab, the pickup tube flows enough to drain the tank down to about half an inch. It's deffinately rusty, but is it salvageable? I'm not familiar with the current method of cleaning a rusty tank.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 PM
drptop70ss
Posting Guru
drptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant futuredrptop70ss has a brilliant future
Your call. Knowing what one small piece of that rust can do to the rest of the fuel system I would go new unless the tank is insane money.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
I'd agree with Dave. Tanks are pretty cheap compared to the constant frustration from repairs and maintenance needed with compromised fuel system components. Buy new and don't look back. While you're there, change out the entire fuel line from tank to carb. It'll look just as bad as the tank, and be one less thing to worry about later.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM
ohbrian
Senior User
ohbrian is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I first got my truck I didn't even look in the tank it's the first thing I replaced.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Zsk,
Welcome Aboard. When you get a chance post some pics of your truck so we can see what you are working with.

We replaced our tank with an under bed 22 gallon '70 Mustang tank. The Tank cost was $120. All in it was more as you have to re-run the fuel lines and move some bracing - plus get a new fuel sender.

I wouldn't mess with something that looked like that. You'll be rehabbing your carb. in short order.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Elder User
Bluey Zedoff has a great reputation on FTE.Bluey Zedoff has a great reputation on FTE.Bluey Zedoff has a great reputation on FTE.Bluey Zedoff has a great reputation on FTE.Bluey Zedoff has a great reputation on FTE.Bluey Zedoff has a great reputation on FTE.
I know a guy who persisted with an old tank. Every time he took it out he had to carry a couple of spare fuel filters as they would get clogged up along the way. Car would break down and out he'd get.
Never figured out why he just didn't get a new tank. I'd be tossing that tank and forking out for a new one. not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Hello ZSK and welcome!
A competent house can clean and seal a tank. Give them a call to get cost estimate and you'll be able to make an informed comparison to new. My tank was just a bit better shape than your pics. Used the POR15 system with good results.

Either way, I agree with the need to replace all fuel lines and add a filter.
DW

Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Albatross had a frame-mounted tank that I wanted to revive. I soaked it in dilute muriatic acid and prepped it for Red Kote. It's now good for several more decades.

They do make modern replacements for yours.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
pm sent. If you need a stock 56 tank.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
oldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to all
Buy a new tank ,their cheap and you get long term peace of mind in regards to your fuel system .

Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
Some of the old truck tanks had baffles in them, some didn't. I think yours does not. I'm in the same situation and have had many cloggers through the years. I'm running one right now that was really ugly, so I put a bunch of gravel and water in it and ratchet strapped it to a wheel on my tractor and tumbled it a couple hours. Then I used the metal prep/tank coating system kit. This was in my'37 which is very original, and I didn't want to lose that tank. Never a lick of trouble. Anyone know what year they stopped the baffles?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM
ZSK
Senior User
ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Zsk,
Welcome Aboard. When you get a chance post some pics of your truck so we can see what you are working with.

We replaced our tank with an under bed 22 gallon '70 Mustang tank. The Tank cost was $120. All in it was more as you have to re-run the fuel lines and move some bracing - plus get a new fuel sender.

I wouldn't mess with something that looked like that. You'll be rehabbing your carb. in short order.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Talk about newbie I've been on forums long enough, that you think I would have provided some basic information. I've updated my album with some pictures and updated my signature. I've thought about an under bed tank but I really don't mind the stock location as is. I currently have a frame mounted electric pump and need to look at each step of swapping to a rear frame mounted unit.

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 View Post
pm sent. If you need a stock 56 tank.
Thank you, I replied to your PM.

I spoke to the local shop and they advised me to get a different tank. I'll start exploring options. I have a different carb to go on the truck along with a rebuilt distributor and oil pump to get away from the load-o-matic and Teapot setup. I'll be running new fuel lines also as the current ones are starting to look just like the tank.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
CAMiniTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest that your tank is, in fact, salvageable. You'll need to descale it (gravel works well), give it a good soaking (vinegar or diluted molasses both work well), then a VERY good rinse (preferably with pressurized water).

It takes a bit of effort, fair bit of time (vinegar or molasses will take a few weeks), and you will through filters quickly for a short time while the gasoline (which is a solvent) purges though anything you missed.

I did this on my tractor (tank was disgusting), so I know it is do-able. It's a matter of balancing time vs money.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.
My tank wasn't quite that bad and I thought I could clean it up and all would be good. Not. In the end I used apple cider viniger to clean it. Then pressure tested it and found about a zillion pin holes.I would just buy a new one and be done with it.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM
ZSK
Senior User
To follow up, I found another non-rusted tank to work with. It's solid inside and out and just needs a little varnish cleaned from the inside. I dumped a gallon of lacquer thinner in the tank and have been sloshing it around. I'm impressed how clean it is now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Tank too far gone?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.