1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Guys. Doc and his wife have a excellent place,and scenic to boot. Wonder if a campground on lake erie would be a consideration? Indian Creek is right on lake Erie. Has been considered 1 of best in Ohio. Close to the needs we would all need and they have primitive area that is huge. Only problem that I see right away, would be keeping other people away from the trucks. In other words it is a public campground.
Just an idea??

Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Hi Guys. Doc and his wife have a excellent place,and scenic to boot. Wonder if a campground on lake erie would be a consideration? Indian Creek is right on lake Erie. Has been considered 1 of best in Ohio. Close to the needs we would all need and they have primitive area that is huge. Only problem that I see right away, would be keeping other people away from the trucks. In other words it is a public campground.
Just an idea??
That's a great idea, do it and I'll be there!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
That's my greatest concern with using an open public location. Old cars and trucks are like magnets. Keeping a intimate gathering on private property would be the easiest way to be able control access to our vehicles. Just something to think about.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
That's a great idea, do it and I'll be there!

Hi Kevin. Make sure you alot enough time to help me out. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Talking

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
That's my greatest concern with using an open public location. Old cars and trucks are like magnets. Keeping a intimate gathering on private property would be the easiest way to be able control access to our vehicles. Just something to think about.
Bob, my concern too. Although there is a ATHS show there every year with no big problems.

At night around 8 all the trucks drive through Geneva on the lake, and blow their horns.....semi air horns too!!
It is really a cool show.
Might be a good location, and really alot of back roads to drive on, and alot to see and do. PENN DICK would have to be there.......and who on FTE wouldn't want to meet him.....a legend!!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
why not gather at a show like this

The Truck Show! True Blue Truck's Fall Ford Truck Fest in Townsend in the Great Smoky Mountains

This is by far the best location for a truck show, hotel, very nice

Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doc you and the family have been more than kind and gracious putting this on for two years. It's time you get the enjoyment out of your idea.
I mentioned this to my wife and she said we have the room but we also have the place up for sale! We have 12 acres just west of Lexington KY -- plenty of room for the trucks/campfire but not a lot of sleeping room in the house except the basement floor. Lots of hotels 5 miles or so away but it's Lexington so they are a little more expensive than around Doc's. Plenty to see and do with all of the horse farms as we are in the middle of the blue grass area. We even have a pond (usually covered in green slim) for the girls to throw smart guys and husbands in if they feel it is needed. We may take it off the market so it will be a while before we could commit on doing an event. We may also be able to talk a friend into using their place as backup in case we did sell. Would you all be up for another trip to the wonderfful state of KY just about 2 hours north west of Doc's.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep it simple

The way I see this , our get together are about getting like minded people in one place to enjoy the old ford truck experience . Last year I floated the ideal of having something in northeast Ga . I ran into one roadblock after another from complaints on where to host it . Public campgrounds where out because of outsiders , places with bunk house type sleeping was out . A conference center, out because it was owned by a church , and on and on . Most of these complaints where from truckers that have not attended any of our events . To the ones that have gone to truckstock or truckfest , would you have stayed away if it was held in a camp ground , or small resort ? I think of sitting in front of a hotel in the middle of pigeon Forge under a pop up , with hundreds of people walking around our trucks , and we all had a great time . How could a campground or small resort be worst . There are thousands of small motels , with a pool and place to have a camp fire , all around this country . Last year at Robs most of us stayed in motels , and the day's doings where over by 11 pm . In the morning we just happened to meet up for breakfast , and then back to Robs to hang out . Lets keep it simple . Find a small resort , let everyone make their own reservations , and the one's that show up will have a great time .

Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Anybody a little farther west that wants to do this and I'm in. Sorry guys, but even Wisconsin is a 1500 mile drive one way for me. Wish I was closer.
I've thought of hosting a get together myself, but I'm kinda remote up here...

Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
The way I see this , our get together are about getting like minded people in one place to enjoy the old ford truck experience . Last year I floated the ideal of having something in northeast Ga . I ran into one roadblock after another from complaints on where to host it . Public campgrounds where out because of outsiders , places with bunk house type sleeping was out . A conference center, out because it was owned by a church , and on and on . Most of these complaints where from truckers that have not attended any of our events . To the ones that have gone to truckstock or truckfest , would you have stayed away if it was held in a camp ground , or small resort ? I think of sitting in front of a hotel in the middle of pigeon Forge under a pop up , with hundreds of people walking around our trucks , and we all had a great time . How could a campground or small resort be worst . There are thousands of small motels , with a pool and place to have a camp fire , all around this country . Last year at Robs most of us stayed in motels , and the day's doings where over by 11 pm . In the morning we just happened to meet up for breakfast , and then back to Robs to hang out . Lets keep it simple . Find a small resort , let everyone make their own reservations , and the one's that show up will have a great time .
All good points. I agree completely. I personally like the idea of a small state park with a bunch of cabins that we could "monopolize". That would take care of a lot of concerns.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Doc you and the family have been more than kind and gracious putting this on for two years. It's time you get the enjoyment out of your idea.
I mentioned this to my wife and she said we have the room but we also have the place up for sale! We have 12 acres just west of Lexington KY -- plenty of room for the trucks/campfire but not a lot of sleeping room in the house except the basement floor. Lots of hotels 5 miles or so away but it's Lexington so they are a little more expensive than around Doc's. Plenty to see and do with all of the horse farms as we are in the middle of the blue grass area. We even have a pond (usually covered in green slim) for the girls to throw smart guys and husbands in if they feel it is needed. We may take it off the market so it will be a while before we could commit on doing an event. We may also be able to talk a friend into using their place as backup in case we did sell. Would you all be up for another trip to the wonderfful state of KY just about 2 hours north west of Doc's.
That's a generous offer, Dave. Do you have any pictures of your property that we could see? I've learned that the "unknown" is the biggest deterent to people attending. By the time Truckstock rolled around, I'm pretty sure some of the attendees had spy satellites looking down on my place. They even spotted some redneck sitting in a lawn chair beside the road and wondered if that was me.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Doc
They even spotted some redneck sitting in a lawn chair beside the road and wondered if that was me.
I thought that was you !??
Just because you work inside that don t mean your not a red neck! Lol no madder how pall your neck is!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
why not gather at a show like this

The Truck Show! True Blue Truck's Fall Ford Truck Fest in Townsend in the Great Smoky Mountains

This is by far the best location for a truck show, hotel, very nice

We've talked about this many times before. Sure, no problem. I'll be there. I've attended that show before. Nobody will have to do any preparation or spend any money other than for their hotel room, etc. But, make no mistake, it's a relatively large car "show". If you all don't mind the strangers and lack of privacy, count me in. I was in Townsend just two weekends ago. But I will also say this, I wasted an entire day of my life last January driving around that Townsend area looking for an ideal little campground/resort where we could have our privacy and keep the theme of a private FTE-only meeting, but yet have the freedom to drive down to the True Blue show. We saw a couple online that looked pretty good in pictures, but they were basically awful when I went and looked at them in person. Bottom line--we will either have to camp right there in the car show grounds or get a hotel room there.......if it isn't already booked.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I've been kicking around the idea of hosting an event up here in SE WI but there are many things I am throwing back and forth in my mind and haven't been able to nail them down.

First, I would like to hold something in the upper part of the country so our more northern brethren can attend, also some farther to the west like IA an MN. The problems I have been thinking about is where I could host this event. I live on a 100 acre active dairy farm. We would have the room to host about the same sized group as Doc and Rob have the last couple of years. We also have many conveniently located hotels within a five mile drive that are easily gotten to with straight, flat roads. I also have an idea for a great cruise to take in the scenery of the Kettle Moraine area that is a few miles to the west. I would be able to handle RVs and tent campers on or property but our house is quite small, it's the original log farm house my wife's great grandparents built when they settled the farm in the late 1800s so I couldn't be a gracious as the McDougal family and offer sleeping accommodations in our house but with the supply of nearby high quality hotels I think that wouldn't be much of a problem.

The problem I see is because I live on an active dairy farm and it is what it is. Our farm is a very tidy and well run farm but we're still a farm with the animals, cows and chickens, that have their own aromas. I'm used to the smells but they may be offensive to some and also individuals with sensitivities to animals might have allergy problems.

I could also check into renting a local park a few miles away that has facilities for large groups but that would add to the expense of holding the event. It would also limit our activities when it comes to night time activities. I would assume there would be a time limit as to how long into the night we could occupy the park. It's not like we have had drunken debauchery at the FTE related events but the party tended to quietly go beyond 10 pm with a camp fire and friendly conversation. If we hosted it in a public park it also wouldn't have the controlled privacy as when held on private property.

I also really would like Doc and his family to attend the event if I hosted it up here. I really appreciated all he and his family has done for us and I'd like him to be the recipient of the good time instead of doing the work. I talked to him last fall at TS '13 and he said his schedule best allowed him to possibly be able to attend in the fall, the same time he held his two meets. This would be the best time to host a meet up here because of many environmental considerations. I felt if I did broach the idea of holding an event up here at that time I'd be crucified by the other attendees of TS, or at very least burned in effigy. With this posting by Doc I feel a little better about bringing it up now. I personally think one or two of these meets should be the limit to have to put on for a person, and their families, at least in consecutive years. There should be some time to rest. I also think it would be awesome for other members, like Rob did last spring, and pick up the torch and host a meet in different parts of the country. I also think there could be multiple events held at the same time with possibly a video connection between the different meets.

My questions to everyone is, is there any interest in attending a meet in the fall in SE WI, about ten miles north of Milwaukee? Would the farm factor hold you back? I'd enjoy hearing feed back via email or PMs or here on the board.
Bob, my friend, please don't take this the wrong way, but have you heard the old saying "Crap or get off the pot"? You've talked about this for two years. We understand your hesitations and concerns. We realize that cow manure and chicken crap stinks. Just host the dang thing and set it up so that you're not out any money if a bunch of people don't show up. Advertise it heavily with the Canadian FTE members and those to the West of you. Those of us to your east and south will try our very best to be there. There's a huge obstacle called Chicago between you and us, but I seem to remember some crazy guy who drove an F-2 with a flathead six right through rush hour traffic there on his way to Kentucky. I think we'll figure it out. On the other hand, there's no shame if you decide not to host a meet at your farm. It's a hell of a lot of work, and you can spend a heck of a lot of money and time in site preparation. Quite frankly, I was under the impression that you had nixed the idea.

P.S.--My black truck would look mighty nice on your T-shirt.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Just a few rambling thoughts, FWTW: Got to get back to work on Blue.

Out of the way, private not that important. Been to lots of events in hotel parking lots without incident. I am talking show quality cars. Important to find a hotel that is car friendly.

Personally, I would rather stay away from any government controlled facility.

Private area important. Fire ring,--=-Does not have to be a bondfire. A contained fire ring would work and at many more places. We just need a place for BS sessions, shade, etc.
Privacy issue with a dorm environment. IMO, a motel room is the better environment. Nearby camping would be nice for a dedicated camper.
As someone mentioned, there has to be small hotels off the beaten path that would love to have us.
A variety of restaurants should be readily available. Eliminate workload for any host.

Piggy back on to Townsend event. Nice friendly area, many of us have been there. Our event could precede or follow this event. Does not have to coincide.

Simultaneous events, no.. I would rather socialize with folks where I am than be concern what is going on 1000 miles away.

Quick Reply: 2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.