1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT another reason not to buy a chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
OT another reason not to buy a chevy

If anybody else watched the sprint unlimited tonight, youll know what im talking about. The chevy pace car caught fire during a caution and had to stop and have the fire extinguished.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 PM
F100FE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if that car was one that the govt. helped to build. I thought it was funny when it happened. That's why we all want an electric car.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to give all my Chevy buddies a hard time about that on Facebook... Got lots of laughs from that one!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts
It definitely filled the car full of smoke before they were able to bail out. Did anyone hear what caused it? Pretty funny stuff.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Dang Chevrolet has NOT had a good week at all, lol, especially considering all of those Corvettes are in that hole down in Bowling Green. Daytona seems to always have craziness. Two or three years ago, stupid Montoya drove straight into one of the jet dryers (containing jet fuel) at full speed under caution and almost burned the track down.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
What could catch on fire in the back corner of the car? Is it an added light system or something? Even the Volt didn't light up there.

Here is the Fox Sports coverage on YouTube:

Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
What could catch on fire in the back corner of the car? Is it an added light system or something? Even the Volt didn't light up there.

Here is the Fox Sports coverage on YouTube:
Chevy SS Pace Car Catches Fire in Daytona at Sprint Unlimited - 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup - YouTube
Twenty bucks says it was the camera system FOX installed to show the race cars up close behind the pace car. They probably had a camera on the rear bumper.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by Doc
Twenty bucks says it was the camera system FOX installed to show the race cars up close behind the pace car. They probably had a camera on the rear bumper.
Good point. It would likely have motors for turning.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
It was a battery pack in the trunk. It powers the external flashing caution lights.

NASCAR pace car catches fire during Sprint Unlimited | FOX Sports on MSN

Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK that s there story and there sticking to it !!!!lol
Just like the sink hole is Lucifer picking up his ride
It's all Publicity!!!
And Mercedes thought they had his ride!!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

A quote from second place finisher Brad Keselowski:

"I thought it was a race car. Someone said it was the pace car and I couldn't help but start laughing."

The Daytona Motor Speedway is 866 miles from the Ford Truck assembly plant in Louisville, KY. (There, now it's on topic)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:20 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Doc
It was a battery pack in the trunk. It powers the external flashing caution lights.

NASCAR pace car catches fire during Sprint Unlimited | FOX Sports on MSN
I'll go for that. Battery packs have started hundreds(thousands?) of fires. The SS is/was (they're soon shutting down the factory...along with Ford and Toyota) built in Australia. Like somebody mentioned, there's really not much back there that would start a fire. I found it ironic they didn't roll down the windows before they came to a stop.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
That whole race was a joke . Usually go up for the qualifiers on thur .Early aft. race , good weather , get home early evening . Last yr. was perfect ! Not this yr. Night race . Leave late afternoon ( 2 1/2 hr. ride ) , battle local traffic also , maybe cool or cold , race ends near midnight , 50 % or more of the people have been drinking , endanger self on I-95 with the drunks on the road between here & Daytona , get home early morning . Worn out .I don't think so !

Reason : more people to stay overnite $$ , sell more of the $165.00 + jackets . Make more $$$ for the France family to add to the bank account in Jax, Fla.

The main reason for the chase rules change . Try to get the fan base back. It is getting like the corporate super bowl . The average american fan / family can not afford to attend .

Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by firstrider
That whole race was a joke . Usually go up for the qualifiers on thur .Early aft. race , good weather , get home early evening . Last yr. was perfect ! Not this yr. Night race . Leave late afternoon ( 2 1/2 hr. ride ) , battle local traffic also , maybe cool or cold , race ends near midnight , 50 % or more of the people have been drinking , endanger self on I-95 with the drunks on the road between here & Daytona , get home early morning . Worn out .I don't think so !

Reason : more people to stay overnite $$ , sell more of the $165.00 + jackets . Make more $$$ for the France family to add to the bank account in Jax, Fla.

The main reason for the chase rules change . Try to get the fan base back. It is getting like the corporate super bowl . The average american fan / family can not afford to attend .
I cannot agree more. I used to have season tickets to Bristol. Gave those up along with about 100,000 other people who told them to stick it up their nose. Trust me, Bruton Smith doesn't get it either. NASCAR has no regard for the old school fans who just simply wanted to buy a ticket and see a good race. It's all about the "show" now. It's all about big money and looking good for the TV networks and corporate sponsors. A young Earnhardt, Elliot, Petty, or even Gordon nowadays wouldn't have a chance now. They didn't have the good looks and "corporate" image that is required nowadays. Bristol Motor Speedway used to laugh at me when I would ask if I could drop my Busch season tickets. Nowadays, they send us hundreds of emails begging us to buy them again. They always have a gimmick or some sort of "deal". But the cheapest seat in the house remains at $90 for the Cup races, but that part is never mentioned in those emails. So we all just smile and delete them. What goes around comes around.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM
fbb1951
Senior User
We enjoy the NASCAR races, but the best seat is at home in front of the TV.

Quick Reply: OT another reason not to buy a chevy