1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket LSD or locker choices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM
savagefan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket LSD or locker choices?

HI, I want to upgrade the traction on my F250, it is currently stuck in the snow outside my house. It is a 4x4 crew cab with good tires. It is my daily driver, I will own this truck for at least 10 years (crashes notwithstanding) I also use it as the family hunting/fishing rig. It goes into the forestry area, with icy logging roads and smaller oil leases. It will not be used for mud bogging or rock crawling. Based on your own experiences what would you recommend for this beast? Thank you in advance, all knowledgeable replies greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Search is your friend. If ya want limited slip get a tru trac posi, will not wear out and is easier to drive in snow/ice than locker. If ya want a locker & have the cash get a selectable locker, arb is good. If you're trying to be thrifty get a powertrax lunchbox locker. Easy to install yourself but take a little getting used to in slick conditions.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been looking at electronic lockers for the front and rear on my truck. I like the thought of having the smooth ride of a open diff normally and being able to lock each axle as I need it for more traction

Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sterling 10.5 had very few options. Most common are the Detroit tru-trac for a lsd or the arb air lockers for a full locker. Ox might make one but Iam not 100% on that.

Some have tried the 11+ e locker but need to upgrade the axle shafts to 37(?) Spline which I believe is easier on the 05-07. But I haven't seen anyone that was definitively successful without a huge amount of problems.

Sent from my Galaxy using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Detroit locker or the Ford Factory E-Locker. Don't get front lockers, they are dangerous unless the vehicle is strictly an offroad vehicle. If you get them and lock them up, they will make you vehicle track straight when your trying to turn.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^that's why having a selectable locker in both axles is nice. I would never want an auto locker. With a e locker or a air locker you run like normal until you are in a bad situation then you have the added traction

Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
savagefan
Senior User
Here's another question. If I was to install a locker in the rear only, will the original LSD case from the rear diff fit inside the front diff?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No it won't you have a Dana 60 front axle and that would require its own LSD or locker made for a Dana 60.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
When you say "good tires", what do you mean? What tires are you running?

The best 4WD limited slip locking differential system is worthless without decent tires. A basic 4WD system with open differentials will get you through just fine if you have good snow tires.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
When you say "good tires", what do you mean? What tires are you running?

The best 4WD limited slip locking differential system is worthless without decent tires. A basic 4WD system with open differentials will get you through just fine if you have good snow tires.
+1 on that. I've driven mine through snow nearly up to the bumpers with no problem.

It sounds like what may be needed in this situation is a good set of tire chains.

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,626 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by savagefan
HI, I want to upgrade the traction on my F250, it is currently stuck in the snow outside my house. It is a 4x4 crew cab with good tires. It is my daily driver, I will own this truck for at least 10 years (crashes notwithstanding) I also use it as the family hunting/fishing rig. It goes into the forestry area, with icy logging roads and smaller oil leases. It will not be used for mud bogging or rock crawling. Based on your own experiences what would you recommend for this beast? Thank you in advance, all knowledgeable replies greatly appreciated.
Another point..... you say you are "stuck in snow"; if you are high centered
(sitting on the frame or axles, and tires not touching solid ground) all the lockers and limited slip diffs in the world won't help. These type of traction aids only help as long as your tires have traction. And if you do install lockers of some kind, I would recommend a selectable type, not the auto lockers.
In certain icy conditions, I have driven right past guys with auto lockers with open diffs. But then, all this is just my opinions, and don't account for much in some body else's situations. Good luck in what ever you do.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
For the rear axle, you could get the Ford e-locker on the '11+ models or get an ARB ($$$). I have a '12 with the rear locker. Very nice that you can select it. However, without a heavy load or weight in the back, it is useless. Tires are key. Last week I got mine completely stuck in an uphill, snowy, icy parking lot...ended up being basically high-centered. In 4-Low with the rear diff locked, I couldn't go anywhere. I am running 10-ply Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 studded snows - about the best you can get for this truck - and not good enough. I needed chains; it sounds like you might be wise to invest in a set as well. Standard 4x4 without a locker is adequate; a locker is primarily beneficial in an off-road environment...not in snow and ice. Basically, if you are driving on ice, locking your axle just means you are spinning both tires on ice. When traction is about equal under each rear wheel, a locker will not help.

As for a front locker being dangerous, not, it really isn't. You only select it when needed. Of course you can't turn well, if at all, with it engaged. However, you can't turn to well with the back one engaged either.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 PM
savagefan
Senior User
Interesting points about tires. I have Toyo M-55 265 70 r17 (I think that's close) about 60% tread left. I got it out today with some effort as the wheels had formed melt ruts and there were many other ruts to jump through. I am concerned about traction as I have owned 2 Explorers and 2 AWD Aerostars and they are both better in street snow/ice than this truck is empty. I know it is designed to haul a load and will fare better with some back there. I have chains for another vehicle and no you can't beat them for traction, they are just such a pain to put on. One reason I was thinking locker is a result of hunting with my buddy last season who has a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with the selectable rear locker and what a difference it made out there and his tires were really aggressive. My RV spun out on an icy hill and he managed to haul it out of the ditch and up a steep hill to level ground, I was tempted to buy one.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
4WD systems only can provide power to the tires; but it is the tires and weight upon each tire which actually yields the traction. Your F-250 has just as much traction "capability" as your Explorer(s), but of course the Explorer and your van have better weight distribution over the tires vs the unloaded truck. Locker is nice, but put 1500lbs in the back of your truck and see if it isn't as good as your other Fords.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
All I can tell you is that I use a BFG TA K/O in 285/60R17E. I have a factory LS. I don't get stuck in the snow. Drifts get very deep around here. They do not stop me.

My only concern is an ice/freezing rain scenario, where pretty much no one gets traction.

I don't know the Toyo M-55, but I would look for a tire that has the snowflake/mountain symbol, which means it is rated for extreme snow.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LSD or locker choices?