2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Driver Module

Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM
C Braves Win
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Driver Module

Just want to post this thread maybe to help someone out there save a few dollars. My neighbor's 05 4.6L died in the driveway the other day. Read a few threads bout the FPDM thought we'd take a look. To our surprise we found a broken module. Got one on Amazon for $53. The local parts stored wanted $109. Easy to Replace. All u need is an 8mm socket. Fixed his truck then looked at my 07 5.4L found mine was about to break also. They corrode really bad on the back side. So I used 2 rubber spacers to get it off the frame. Seems to be fine. If ur fuel pump stops working. Look here first. Also all owners might want to look at theirs maybe to prevent being stranded!!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you diagnose the fuel pump module to be broken?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM
canstacker
Senior User
Drop your spare tire and take a look at it, some are so badly corroded it's hard to believe they still work. I think there is some metal to metal contact to blame. New ones have a spacer to prevent this. Symptoms are no start and some random fuel issues.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My father in law is chasing a start-no start condition. It's very cold at the cabin, 20-30F below is fairly common and he feels there was some water in his last fill up. He fired it up and it ran for a minute or two and stalled. He put an electric heater under the filter and covered the truck with a tarp for a full day. It started for a minute then died. He hadn't done the filter in a while, so he decided to change it. While he was under there and had the lines disconnected, he turned the key to see if any fuel would come out of the line from the tank and nothing came out. He put the new filter in and tried to start it...it fired up and ran for 5 minutes. He tried to blip the throttle and it stalled then wouldn't restart. No garage and it's a balmy -16F there today at 2PM. He doesn't know why the pump would not run with the filter disconnected. He's probably going to do the FPDM because it's easier and cheaper than the fuel pump.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 PM
KingKhan170
New User
LISTEN TO THIS THREAD!!!!

For the cost and ease of replacing the module, everyone should blindly order one, and replace it ASAP!

Mine crapped out on Jan 16th. I filled up my truck with gas the night before, and on the way home it "coughed" and sort of backfired once. I ignored it, figured the trans was cold or something, it is winter here.

The next morning, I was driving to work (44km /28mi) commute, and half way there, my truck started to buck and chug violently, like the trans was popping out of gear. I shifted it in and out of OD and it did it just fine, so that meant it was an engine issue.

There is a Ford Stealership near my work about 3kms away, so I pulled off the freeway near there because I was having a hard time maintaining speed. Could barely do 80km/h, it was gonna die any second.

When I got near the dealership, i tried to push the truck to make it to work, but at this point it wouldnt even accelerate and was barely running. With the temp being so cold, I chickened out and limped it to the dealer. Left it with them.

They charged me the flat fee to diagnose, 1.5hrs labor, cost of computer, and the stealership hidden fees for a total of $650!!!!!!

I went for it, because the cost of the tow home, the cold outside, etc etc I couldnt afford to have the truck down for so long.

So save yourself the money and just replace the stupid thing! Imagine someone switching your fuel pump on and off while driving, thats exactly how this felt. It shudders the truck violently, and is probably really bad for the driveline.

Fun fact, the newer ones are coated and are supposed to be more dureable. Isolating it with rubber is the smart thing to do. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM
C Braves Win
New User
Almost 100% of all this years trucks are gonna fail. Be wise and listen to the people who have experienced this issue and fix or replace yours soon.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
C Braves Win
New User
Forgot to mention, if your FPDM fails, it will probably blow ur fuel pump fuse.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,268 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by C Braves Win
Almost 100% of all this years trucks are gonna fail. Be wise and listen to the people who have experienced this issue and fix or replace yours soon.
Yeah, maybe so if left unattended and not fixed in time and if the truck otherwise last and last? But if caught early enough, no reason to believe it'll fail. Many continued to work after the interior was opened to the elements through corrosion.

Back in January 2010 or 2011 I had just returned the night before from a 1200 mile round trip to visit family for Christmas in Ga and next AM I was on the web surfing and saw a thread about FPDMs.

It being a decent day, I decided to look at mine that day.

Mine was starting to corrode where the aluminum rests against the steel frame member.

More importantly, I also found where some critter had chewed the wires and one wire had maybe 2 strands left, the chewed ends stabbed my finger is how I found it.

I fixed the wire with some short splices, solder, etc .... a permanent fix ....
and darn happy it had not broken the day before hundreds of miles from home. I also sanded the back of my FPDM and coated it with several coats of clear enamel ....

and I took some longer metric bolts, cut the heads off to make long studs ..... and used lock nuts as spacers and some washers to space the FPDM a gfood 1/4" off the frame to stop corrosion. I also cleaned and painted the frame where it mounted.

Here's a pic after I remounted the FPDM with stand offs in place, I added the zip tie. I have not yet fixed the wire however when I took this pic, it was the blue wire that something ate into. It's well protected now .... as well as the fuel lines and return lines I also fixed not long afterwards.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Smitty3
New User
on my 98 f150 I was not able to locate the FPDM under the spare time carraige. I however noticed something mounted the the top of the rear crossmember. Looks like 2 seperate plastic (?) boxes with some sort of controller mounted between them. This "contoller" has a wire harness plug in. Has what appears to be fuel line hoses going into the controller. What is this? My f150 will occationally die without warning - but will restart quickly.