Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Done! Photos of just finished 1948 F-3 stake truck

Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
WOW! what a great looking job you did.
Thanks for sharing the pics with us, the truck is amazing.

Bobby

Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
qmanconfused
Senior User
qmanconfused is starting off with a positive reputation.
you truck is a thing of beauty. a true work of art that I admire deeply. even the pictures are great. very good job all around. I only wish my truck turns out 1/2 as well
qman

Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
Very nice. It sure is nice to see a stock looking truck. Congratulations on the beautiful truck.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
Talking

WOW very nice. I think you have the start of a perma-grin. (I know I would if that truck was driven by me)

Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 PM
EAK69
Senior User
EAK69 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stupid question: Are the hub cabs stock? If so, what size tires / rims are you using?

Originally Posted by Ford1948F3 View Post

[/SIZE]

Old 01-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Lwlandy
Senior User
Lwlandy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great looking truck you have there, I am going the darkside with my truck but I can appreciate a really nicely done restored/stock truck and that is a mighty fine looking vehicle.

Well done and enjoy!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I hope my F3 ends up as nice as that, well done.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 AM
Marauder2004
Elder User
Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.
That F3 looks great!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Jasonnoel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jasonnoel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice work. What's the next project?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Rimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud of
Now that is a good looking truck! Very nice job indeed.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Ford1948F3
Junior User
Ford1948F3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you for all the compliments! They are very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by abe

How long is your bed? It fits nicely on your truck. I see it is from a later Ford truck (like 1965-1976-ish).

I like your stake sides. They look like the original.

The bed measures 93-3/4" front to back. It actually did come off another 1948 F-3 (found it many years ago at a junkyard so who knows?). It was a perfect fit.

I made the stake sides out of quarter-sawn white oak. They were joined, planed to 13/16ths, and sanded before painting. The stakes are also oak. They are fairly closely modeled on original patterns. I think I'm going to leave the stainless acorn nuts shiny...what do you all think?

Originally Posted by Theodore/teddy

I think you have the start of a perma-grin.
Actually that is my friend Giuseppe who painted the truck. He is a very talented guy, old school trained in the old country, and obviously he enjoys what he does. We had a lot of fun on this.

Originally Posted by EAK69
Are the hub cabs stock? If so, what size tires / rims are you using?

Yes, they are originals off a 3/4 ton. I bought them back in the first days of ebay, set of 4 for $35. The guy told me his daughter used to sit in them and go sledding down the hill (she's now 50 years old). I had them chromed, and then I painted the FORD insignia. They were originally Ford blue, but I chose to make them body color. They are a different diameter than the ones that fit a half-ton truck. Right now my wheels/tires are 8.00 x 16.

Originally Posted by Jasonnoel
Nice work. What's the next project?
This is the third Ford I've done, so right now, I'm just going to drive it and enjoy the ride for a while. But I've always got my eyes open for the next one...

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
The F3 hub caps are (or at least were) available in reproduction. There was a guy selling them on eBay. Check with Chuck's Trucks or Dennis Carpenter for a set.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Ford1948F3 View Post
I made the stake sides out of quarter-sawn white oak. They were joined, planed to 13/16ths, and sanded before painting. The stakes are also oak. They are fairly closely modeled on original patterns. I think I'm going to leave the stainless acorn nuts shiny...what do you all think?
My opinion: Keep the stainless acorn nuts shiny. Don't paint over them. I would think that is how they came from the factory.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
You're truck is OVER the TOP! Like many others have commented, it's nice to see a stock restoration, and of one of the bigger trucks done so incredibly well. Love that you painted the stake sides like Henry did!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Is it possible to see some close up shots of the bed and stakesides, as well as the fog lights and how they attach to the frame/bumper?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Done! Photos of just finished 1948 F-3 stake truck

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.