New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple Error Codes on 4.2

i'm getting the following error codes.

P0191
P2197
P0401
P0300

Sometimes the engine just dies on me.. today it did it 4 times on me going to work (35miles) at around 3pm (70 degrees outside) , it doesn't seem to matter where i am as far as speed , it has done it in city traffic as well as on the interstate.
on my way home this evening 11pm (50 degrees) it didn't do it at all , it seemed to be running fine and dandy

it seems to be driving fine , then all of a sudden it loses all power and the throttle seems non responsive at all, until it cuts off , i have to restart it and it will go again..it does seem to do it more often on warmer days and pretty much only when the engine is at normal temps..

where should i start looking ?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:32 PM
CarolinaCanes
Senior User
I'm at work, on my cell with little time.

If I were you I'd start with googling the codes individually. It will be relativity easy to find the codes.

Once you find that, you can start whittling down causes.

Unfortunately I don't know know off the top of my head and it didn't seem that this forum gets a lot of action. I do hope someone chimes in for you, but in the mean time I'd look up the codes.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 PM
wampumbiskit
New User
i already researched the codes ,

however i did a reset , and drove it again... all was fine until it got the engine at temp , then it was all screwed up again...

now im still getting

P0191
P0174
P0300

i didn't drive it very far , so there may have been additional codes that would have came up if i would have run it a little longer...it is however getting worse so there's a problem somewhere..

so it's still all stemming from the same problem i think , i think i'll start looking for issues and starting with the vacuum and the EGR and work my way down the line from it.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:14 AM
wampumbiskit
New User
wel i did a smoke test and there's no vacuum leak , but instead of starting taking things apart , i hooked up my laptop to my OBD and data logged while i was driving ,

it seem that the Fuel rail regulator drops from 39-41 psi to 1.1 psi when i push the pedal all the way to the floor , it's also getting worse still , it now starts doing it after literally 2 miles of driving , so instead of starting with the hardest parts im going to check if the fuel filter is not clogged , from there i will test the fuel pressure....

also it's throwing out more and more codes but they are all related to the fuel mixture so im going to check that first , then when that fails I'll pull the intake off and see what i can find there...

Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
CarolinaCanes
Senior User
Seems like you are on your way. I just did upper and lower intake on Sunday on my 3.8. New isolator bolts where the issue. Oil getting in through shoddy valve cover design.

Was there a tsb on your isolator bolt grommets? They should be green, not black. The black ones apparently dry up and crack when exposed to oil. They sell a fix Ford's ***** up kit for the 3.8. Not sure if it's an issue with the 4.2. Came with new upper intake manifold gasket, isolator bolts,a new valve cover for lh side, etc etc.

Its a hundred bucks which isn't bad plus I used a coupon code for advance auto. Got 40 bucks off a hundred spent. So it was sixty bucks. Pm me and I'll give you the code or do a quick Google search. I dont know if the forum rules allow for that sort of stuff. I don't work for advance Im just willing to take 40 percent off if they are willing to let me lol.

Good luck.