Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll-X & Bakbox 2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
LaxinFish29
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll-X & Bakbox 2 Review

I know there is not much info out there on the Roll-X for these trucks so I thought I would share.

Roll-X:
Install was very easy. They have redesigned this cover since the original production I had on my F-150 and the improvements are great. This cover rolls up out of the way, is very secure when closed, and takes one person about 2 minutes to roll it up or unroll and close it. Have not had the new design in the rain yet but the old one let in very little water, a few drops, in the heaviest of rains so I have high hopes for this one. I will confidently recommend this cover to anyone, it has completely impressed me.

BakBox2:
Overall a pretty good design. I don't use the bed for hauling large items often so it will work for me. As you can see in the pictures, it does not take up a ton of room and holds a good amount of stuff. If you often need the full bed this is probably not the option for you. While it does fold up towards the cab if you empty it, I feel like the brackets may still be in the way.

While I was typing this I realized that any toolbox is going to take up bed room so if you need the whole bed, not sure this would be horrible. I used to keep a tractor supply toolbox in the bed that I would just lift out but the days of having a good back are behind me.

Hope I could help and let me know if you have any questions or need specific pictures.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 PM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
Agreed!!!

I just installed the most current version of the Bak Roll-X cover and it's phenomenal!!!

Install was quick and easy... Cover looks great, very secure, seems to be well made!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Can any of you Fellas give me your input on this cover so far? Any leaks? I prefer this cover to the BAK Flip because I do not like my rear window blocked while towing a 5th wheel. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 AM
SoYouCanSuperDuty
Junior User
This looks like what I want. Don't have to worry to a motor breaking like any other retractable. Like the last poster mentioned and leaks?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM
LaxinFish29
Junior User
Originally Posted by SoYouCanSuperDuty
This looks like what I want. Don't have to worry to a motor breaking like any other retractable. Like the last poster mentioned and leaks?
Originally Posted by Shogunles
Can any of you Fellas give me your input on this cover so far? Any leaks? I prefer this cover to the BAK Flip because I do not like my rear window blocked while towing a 5th wheel. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry Shogun that I didn't see your reply until now. No leaks except for a small dribble on the inside of the tailgate. I'm sure I could play with it a little but haven't had the need to yet. Maybe this summer when the weather warms up.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
SoYouCanSuperDuty
Junior User
Cool thanks for the update. Gonna have to get one with the box.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by LaxinFish29
Sorry Shogun that I didn't see your reply until now. No leaks except for a small dribble on the inside of the tailgate. I'm sure I could play with it a little but haven't had the need to yet. Maybe this summer when the weather warms up.
No worries. I actually bought the BAK Flip Fibermax. The first one was leaking from all of the hinges very bad. I returned it to BAK Industries, and they sent me a new one via FedEx.

The new on had a slight dribble over each of the wheel hubs on either side. I figured it had to settle some. And it did.

I just purchased the BAK Box 2, and I really do not like this box. It is kind of small. Smaller than what I had on my previous truck anyway. Perhaps my opinion is bias. However, the way in which it secures to the rails of the cover, it is not at all secure.

I took it apart 3 times, and still the same outcome. It slides a little. And last week it actually fell off onto my Buddy's brand new St. Croix Rod! Thank God it did not damage it!

So I put even more tension on the brackets using clamps and screwed them in. Then there is an angel bracket, held on by long narrow machine screws, meant to reach under the lip of the bed rail, to secure the front of the brackets and I assume keep it from moving. The best I could do is get the angel bracket in on an angle. They are supposed to install straight. It is a 90* Bracket. The other end of the bracket rests on the outside of the box brackets.

The top of the brackets are barely touching under the lip of the underside of the bed rail. I know it is kind of hard to follow. However, there is not a very good way to describe this flawed attempt of securing the box.

I think what I am going to do is find or make larger angel brackets, and beefier screws, and try to fix it. Has anyone tried to secure the brackets in better? Or find another way all together?

Apologies for the long post Fellas. No other way to describe this.