Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water Seperator Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:53 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water Seperator Valve Question

Went out of town, on Monday, for New Years week. While driving, we started to notice a fuel smell in the cab, so made a stop. I looked at the valley and it had alot of fuel there. I turned the motor on and noticed a slow drip from the WSV area. I was hoping that that was the problem. We were about 60 miles from destination. I called the Dealership where we were going to see if they had a WSV, fuel filter, and cap. They did, so we pressed on.

Got into town, picked up the parts, and got to changing it out. I looked the WSV over real good looking for cracks. O-rings looked ok but they had a little film where the o-rings make contact to the fuel filter housing. After changed, I ran to the car wash and Simple Green'd the valley. I kept checking the valley throughout our stay, and the valley stayed dry. That was the problem.

I had previously changed the WSV, AFE fuel filter and cap out 24,000 miles and 1 1/12 year ago.

I know that it could have been leaking due to improper installation by me year and a half ago, but could something else have gone wrong instead ( o-rings, etc.) ?
I didn't have spare o-rings, but, I'll be ready next time.
Also, I've been running DK and 2 stroke since before the previous change.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The film you are refering to is probably the teflon coating used on the original orings. It needs to be removed from the fuel bowl before installing the new orings. There is also a third oring inside the drain valve that needs to be replaced. The old material that was used was Buna-n, the new material used today is Viton. I don't know if Ford sells the Viton as replacement, Diesel orings and Riffraff sell the good stuff. Anytime orings or seals need to be replaced, thats where most of us go. DK and 2 cycle shouldn't have been a factor.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
I have read a lot on here where alot of folks are purchasing from Diesel O-rings and Riff Raff, and that is my plan to purchase. Once they get here, I'll replace the O-rings.

Is it common that the OEM O-rings deteriate in a year and a half? Just trying to learn a little.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by r***r
I have read a lot on here where alot of folks are purchasing from Diesel O-rings and Riff Raff, and that is my plan to purchase. Once they get here, I'll replace the O-rings.

Is it common that the OEM O-rings deteriate in a year and a half? Just trying to learn a little.

Thanks
They tend to shrink a little bit after exposure to diesel, especially after cold weather. You can usually re-torque the drain valve screws and cure your leak.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
The film you are refering to is probably the teflon coating used on the original orings. It needs to be removed from the fuel bowl before installing the new orings. There is also a third oring inside the drain valve that needs to be replaced. The old material that was used was Buna-n, the new material used today is Viton. I don't know if Ford sells the Viton as replacement, Diesel orings and Riffraff sell the good stuff. Anytime orings or seals need to be replaced, thats where most of us go. DK and 2 cycle shouldn't have been a factor.
Originally Posted by clux
They tend to shrink a little bit after exposure to diesel, especially after cold weather. You can usually re-torque the drain valve screws and cure your leak.

I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge.

Thanks Stinson and Clux

Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess the -6deg early last week finally did my set in - slow drip from the drain valve body... Mine are the originals from 00, it's time for a new set of o-rings.

Just ordered a set from Riffraff.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member and new to diesel engines. Should it be a good habit to get into to replace the o rings at each filter change and/or after a cold spell? Assuming you have a leak after the cold spell. Trying to learn here as well. Thank you for the help thus far!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shogunles
New member and new to diesel engines. Should it be a good habit to get into to replace the o rings at each filter change and/or after a cold spell? Assuming you have a leak after the cold spell. Trying to learn here as well. Thank you for the help thus far!
If you put in viton o-rings you will probably never have to change them again.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If you get the military-grade blue fluorosilicone ones from Bob, they will be the last you will ever replace. See:
Ford 7.3 Diesel Fluorosilcone Drain Valve O-rings

Pop

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for chiming in pop.

That's where I'll be ordering my O-rings.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
While you have that valve off, it isn't a bad idea to also use some 1000+ grit paper to remove any hint of the plastic moulding "parting lines" to ensure smooth operation of the valve and to prevent interference with the new o-rings.

Just take off the parting lines, don't "sand" the entire ball.

Pop

Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
While you have that valve off, it isn't a bad idea to also use some 1000+ grit paper to remove any hint of the plastic moulding "parting lines" to ensure smooth operation of the valve and to prevent interference with the new o-rings.

Just take off the parting lines, don't "sand" the entire ball.

Pop
Just ordered the Orings and I'll get some 1000 grit paper.

Thanks Pop

Old 02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Delayed update

Last weekend, went to changing out the o-rings I bought from Diesel O-rings.

Feeling good that I was gonna knock the job out pretty fast. Got the job done.

Put the hood down (shouldn't have done that), primed the fuel pump ( key on key off 3x), started the truck, ran it for a few seconds, figured I was good to go.

Wife and I was going to turn in the recycle, so, we loaded the truck up.

Ready to go, we got in the truck and I started the truck. I went to open the front gate and saw what looked like it was raining under my truck.

Shut the truck off, told my wife we weren't going anywhere, dumped a bunch of kitty litter and a lot of rags, opened hood. Fuel was everywhere. Had my wife turn the key on and fuel was shooting out of the fuel filter lid like a home water pipe break.

After installing fuel filter and when I went to put lid back on, I didn't confirm that the beveled o-ring was properly lined up.

Fixed the issue, ran truck to the car wash an simple greened the whole engine.

It's been a week and no signs of fluid anywhere.

Thanks folks for your advice on the o-rings,