Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about cheap offroad lights (hi-beams)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:54 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking about cheap offroad lights (hi-beams)

Swapped out the Headlights for 55W single beam HIDs. Happy with the output but as expected that meant loosing the Hi-Beams. I like to see my deer a few seconds before slamming into them so time to add the bumper mounted lights i've been meaning to get.

Here's the bumper with tabs that i'm gonna be mounting them on:

Gonna keep it cheap as it's not really all that important. Basically just an add-on for backroad driving at night. No other cars on the road, just lots of deer and a few cows i plan on blinding. They'll be Made in China (what isn't?) but I'm also pretty sure they'll last years and be much brighter than stock Hi-beams especially since i'd wire them on a separate switch so i can flip them on along with the headlights.

HIDs are nice cause they're really cheap, $55 gets me two 55W HID lights on ebay. Super Bright 4" HID Offroad Driving Spot Beam Light Lamp 55W 6000K for Car Truck | eBay

Option two is 36W LEDs. Still pretty cheap ($100) gets ya two 7" lights that'll mount up same place. I just don't have much experience with LED lights and don't know if i can expect the same (or more) output as 55W HIDs 2pcs 7inch 36W CREE LED Work Light Bar 2520LM Flood Beam 4x4 Offroad Lamp Spot | eBay

Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like LEDs are the way to go these days, less power for a lot of output! As for those HID lights, I believe the ones in your link are fairly small, so unless you want lights an inch or two in size, I would really check the dimensions.

I love those LEDs, I might have to keep that link for the future.

Good luck on your choice.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by icentropy
Swapped out the Headlights for 55W single beam HIDs. Happy with the output but as expected that meant loosing the Hi-Beams. I like to see my deer a few seconds before slamming into them so time to add the bumper mounted lights i've been meaning to get. Here's the bumper with tabs that i'm gonna be mounting them on: Gonna keep it cheap as it's not really all that important. Basically just an add-on for backroad driving at night. No other cars on the road, just lots of deer and a few cows i plan on blinding. They'll be Made in China (what isn't?) but I'm also pretty sure they'll last years and be much brighter than stock Hi-beams especially since i'd wire them on a separate switch so i can flip them on along with the headlights. HIDs are nice cause they're really cheap, $55 gets me two 55W HID lights on ebay. Super Bright 4" HID Offroad Driving Spot Beam Light Lamp 55W 6000K for Car Truck | eBay Option two is 36W LEDs. Still pretty cheap ($100) gets ya two 7" lights that'll mount up same place. I just don't have much experience with LED lights and don't know if i can expect the same (or more) output as 55W HIDs 2pcs 7inch 36W CREE LED Work Light Bar 2520LM Flood Beam 4x4 Offroad Lamp Spot | eBay
I like that guard what guard is that and also I would do the LEDs. LEDs seem to be the new thing. If ur running bulb spot lights ur old school now lol

Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you want cheap just go with the bulb type high beam off roaders, they will suit your needs easily.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Not sure what kind of guard it is. Its aluminum, pretty strong and light weight. I plan on getting it powder coated some day. Well you guys are making me lean towards the led, one of the reasons I was thinking hid is cause I can get matching color so they'll match the headlights. With leds im not sure how the colors will match up. Also I heard that hid light and reflectors typically throw light further. I know hids work well but I was also thinking maybe its time to try leds. As far as the hid size, yes im looking for smaller lenses 4" is plenty big for what I want. I think the next size is like round 9" or something massive. That wouldn't look tasteful on an X, IMO.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by icentropy
Not sure what kind of guard it is. Its aluminum, pretty strong and light weight. I plan on getting it powder coated some day. Well you guys are making me lean towards the led, one of the reasons I was thinking hid is cause I can get matching color so they'll match the headlights. With leds im not sure how the colors will match up. Also I heard that hid light and reflectors typically throw light further. I know hids work well but I was also thinking maybe its time to try leds. As far as the hid size, yes im looking for smaller lenses 4" is plenty big for what I want. I think the next size is like round 9" or something massive. That wouldn't look tasteful on an X, IMO.
My luck with hids are U don't buy cheap because u get what u pay for. My buddy is running a $75 set and keep poping stuff or won't come on all the time.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
My luck with hids are U don't buy cheap because u get what u pay for. My buddy is running a $75 set and keep poping stuff or won't come on all the time.
perhaps. They say they use the slim ballasts in the add. I am running some sportiva brand 55W single beams ($65) and so far so good. I also used the exact same ones (different bulb but same ballast and brand) on an offroad light bar build for my old hummer and they seemed to have held up well (at least they were still working fine when i sold it last year). I wonder if these housings and lenses use standard HIDs (even if they're cheap ones.) then if they pop or the ballasts burn i can take apart and replace with sportiva setups.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I use LED lights, and the color is pure white, closer to the 5000K color.

The 6000K HID will be blue compared to the LED light.

Kinda hard choice to see which one will put out more light. I don't think you will be happy with either one of those as your high beam. I would spend the most that you can, and get a larger LED bar. (I'm not a fan of round 6" OR larger lights) I have used a 20" LED bar and it will put out sufficient amount of light, but they run about $450.00 and put out 7750 Lumens. Single row Aurora LED bar, rated for 1100 meters. Gives out about 350 meters of usable lights.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I love the look of the long light bar! And that one with the different light patterns looks real nice

Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I would toss a set of Hellas on that guard. It looks like you already have the mounting tabs for it.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I would toss a set of Hellas on that guard. It looks like you already have the mounting tabs for it.
Yup i'll be mounting the lights to the tabs, either of the LEDs linked will mount up to those tabs. I was thinking about HIDs but I'm starting to think more=better as far as lighting goes for what i specifically want it for. We have lots of dark, rarely traveled back roads around here. (I live in the middle of no-where) so when we drive around after dark, we're the only truck on the road but deer, elk, cows, ice and snow abound so I really want to get as much light out in front of the truck as possible to try to see those eyes as far away as possible. I'm thinking if i'm going to go through the trouble of wiring up lights and switches might as well see how much light i can get. (especially since i no longer have hi-beams) I honestly don't know that i prefer the look of LEDs over HIDs. I kinda like the old school lights on these kind of trucks (new jeeps look good with LEDs) but the difference in light output that i can get for the power and dollar is just too much to pass up. I'm gonna try to keep my budget no higher than $250 or so.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I have Hella Rallye 4000s on the front of my truck with the Euro pattern and have been VERY happy with them. It is the right mix between a fog type pattern and the pencil driving beam.