Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

mother nature as garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
junkyards use the rim method allot also

Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
CarolinaCanes
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread. I am a backyarder as well. I'm more concerned with getting some shelter over head than a concrete floor at the moment lol.

Though the floor would be nice with what I've got going on next. I've got to replace my flexplate in my 82 4x4.

Using the cribbing method how high would y'all feel safe lifting the truck up. It'd be nice to get the feet up or so. I have never had to jack it up to work under it, but will have to for this.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM
CarolinaCanes
Senior User
That sure want a lot of surface area. The edge of a rim, not smart

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
A lot of the yards in NY use rims. 2 welded together at 90 degrees to each other. The wide round part of the rim sits on the ground, the other rim is welded to it around where the lug bolt holes are. Wish I had pics.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 AM
CarolinaCanes
Senior User
Originally Posted by GLR
A lot of the yards in NY use rims. 2 welded together at 90 degrees to each other. The wide round part of the rim sits on the ground, the other rim is welded to it around where the lug bolt holes are. Wish I had pics.
That makes more sense. I'm always nervous around vehicles that any sitting on there own wheels lol

Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i am thinking of building stacks (or blocks) of 2x4's together to make four large stands. i would used a combo of a bottle jack and the vehicle jack to put the truck on the blocks. like the article mentioned, i would chock the wheels and probably make a groove of some sort in the top of the blocks to prevent the truck from shifting/rolling. i've got a great paved surface to work on here in my live/work studio loft here in oakland (except when it rains)... and the other major draw back is the theft. i've already been broke into twice. i can only imagine my truck on blocks for a couple of days what signal that would send to the transients and dumpster divers that pass by... i've put ads on CL, mentioned it in my local chapter, and have already taken her to a stealership for maintenance. i do not want to do that again. it boils down to one simple question.. where the hell can i work on my truck in peace around here!?

Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
so i've got two stacks of 2x4's that are roughly 13-3/8" tall. the bases are about 25" long and the tops are about 10" long. my question is, how far does the bottom of the axle need to be off the ground in order to remove tires? my truck is sitting at work at the moment. i'll get this answer roughly on monday but thought i'd ask here first. the tops of theses 'stands' have a groove in them to house the axle once its lowered on the blocks... as i mentioned before, i'll have to chock the wheels when she's up in the air.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM
CarolinaCanes
Senior User
Originally Posted by bdpotts
so i've got two stacks of 2x4's that are roughly 13-3/8" tall. the bases are about 25" long and the tops are about 10" long. my question is, how far does the bottom of the axle need to be off the ground in order to remove tires? my truck is sitting at work at the moment. i'll get this answer roughly on monday but thought i'd ask here first. the tops of theses 'stands' have a groove in them to house the axle once its lowered on the blocks... as i mentioned before, i'll have to chock the wheels when she's up in the air.
I feel your pain man. I used to live in Vallejo and it was tough to find a place with out neighbors getting mad. Snootie neighbors is one thing I don't miss in California.

If you are just removing tires you only need it high enough to get the tire off and back on. I can't give you an exact distance because there are too many variables such as how far the springs will compress etc.

As far as chocking the wheels if they are all in the air you don't have to worry about. Lol. Just be sure to to get the lug nut broke free while on the ground and you can loosen it up while in the air.

What all are you trying to do?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
carolina canes-
thanks for the input. as of right now, i'm just trying to build some stands out of free lumber as opposed to buying traditional jack stands. i'm just looking to get the front and back of the truck up from time to time to do the usual stuff.
tire rotations, brakes, flushing power steering... maybe drop the fuel tank one of these days..
i know what you mean with variables. i'm sure my pavement/parking spot isn't even 'even'. i don't have my truck here to gauge a rough height but i'm thinking it'll be more than enough at 15" tall or so.
thanks for chiming in with the helpful advice/ideas!
cheers.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Take the height of your tires, and divide by 2, thats a little more than enough distance as the axle tube will probably be 2 inches+- below the tire centerline.
Springs have nothing to do with it if you are jacking and blocking the axle directly.
My wild guess is you'll need one more board, maybe 2

Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
This is how one pick-a-part in NY supports their vehicles.
Horseheads Pick-A-Part - You Pull Auto Parts Yard in NY

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I use cribbing.

I don't use jackstands under my car, it's a unibody so I set the jacking point on a crib and call it good. I have several sets that are screwed together for permanent use made from 2x4s or 2x6s in layers sandwiched in between OSB, the footprints vary based on how tall they are and what is going to sit on them. I wouldn't use an actual crib made of loose wood under anything where there might be a weight shift (ie removing a component like a trans), but for static work even loose cribbing will be fine. It works great on tractors, because it's impossible to find cost-effect jack stands that are tall enough, can hold that much weight, and that can be moved easily. A quality sheet of actual plywood at least an inch thick is a great base, it'll expand the footprint of the crib so it won't sink but won't fall apart like OSB from moisture.

With wood being so cheap you couldn't pay me to get under a vehicle held up by cinder blocks.

Cribbing For Heavy Vehicle Lifting |
Cribbing was, and still is, the preferred method of supporting structures while underpinning for new foundations or moving often very heavy masonry and frame buildings. A car or truck is a no sweat ordeal on properly constructed cribs.