1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grown man about to cry

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
F'aford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grown man about to cry

Im new on here and have read a lot done a lot but no success. I have a 99 f250 super with a 5.4. Manual lock outs in front. Its a plow truck/work truck/only truck. Everytime I hit a bump it grinds bad until I hit another bump.Had a mech. install new transfer case and t motor because of not swiching, now that's not an issue. still got a grind, replaced a lockout and everything was good. ran it then got a noise so I had to cut the other one off (seized) replaced it and still getting the noise. im lost

Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F'aford
Im new on here and have read a lot done a lot but no success. I have a 99 f250 super with a 5.4. Manual lock outs in front. Its a plow truck/work truck/only truck. Everytime I hit a bump it grinds bad until I hit another bump.Had a mech. install new transfer case and t motor because of not swiching, now that's not an issue. still got a grind, replaced a lockout and everything was good. ran it then got a noise so I had to cut the other one off (seized) replaced it and still getting the noise. im lost
Does the truck do it in 4wd 2wd or all the time? Do the hubs actually lock the axles? If you jack up the truck, spin the front tires do you get the noise?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
F'aford
New User
after replacing the psngr side lock noise was gone i2 and 4. ran my plow let it sit a day then put it in 2 and I got that same noise coming from drvr side. replaced it and im still getting that mid tone grinding like its the calipers tab

Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Im new on here and have read a lot done a lot but no success.
Welcome to FTE, F'aford.

I have a 99 f250 super with a 5.4. Manual lock outs in front. Its a plow truck/work truck/only truck.
Sounds like a good, basic, honest truck.

Everytime I hit a bump it grinds bad until I hit another bump.
What exactly do you think is grinding? I get the clue from your below responses you seem to think it is something in the drive train.

Had a mech. install new transfer case and t motor because of not swiching, now that's not an issue.
He replaced your transfer case? Seriously?

still got a grind, replaced a lockout and everything was good. ran it then got a noise so I had to cut the other one off (seized) replaced it and still getting the noise. im lost
Is this grinding noise related to speed, engine RPM or does it vary with the transmission?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
F'aford
New User
It feels and sounds like the front drivers wheel. The truck can be rolling in neutral and you'll get that noise. It's more like a wallering sound if you know what I mean. Hard to explane

Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
Bad wheel bearing? Jack up that corner of the truck and spin the tire and wiggle it back and forth, see if it seems loose or noisy.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Banage
Senior User
Originally Posted by jeepnford
Bad wheel bearing? Jack up that corner of the truck and spin the tire and wiggle it back and forth, see if it seems loose or noisy.
Was my first thought. Welcome to FTE. We are here for you. Someone will hit the nail on the head with good information.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
OK, I am thinking caliper or maybe backing plate?

Are the brakes responding normally?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
OK, I am thinking caliper or maybe backing plate?

Are the brakes responding normally?
Might be. I had a backing plate barely touching a rotor once. Sounded like the truck was coming apart.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 PM
F'aford
New User
No wobble. New pads on it. There is a little off and on rubbing noise when that front drivers tire is in the air. Also the grinding noise is not affected by brakes or steering. Only bumps

Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM
F'aford
New User
Brakes are fine

Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
Axle needle bearing or the wheel bearing.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 AM
jesse5
Senior User
When you replace the unit bearings (SKF or Timken) get the lower priced 4W ABS hubs as you can cover the sensor holes if needed.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Sounds like needle bearings to me as well. The bearings are replacable. Check out this guys tech articles. Also 1975stroppebaja on here has some good ones as well.

Welcome to guzzle's Modifications Web Page

Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 AM
F'aford
New User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Sounds like needle bearings to me as well. The bearings are replacable. Check out this guys tech articles. Also 1975stroppebaja on here has some good ones as well.

Welcome to guzzle's Modifications Web Page
I'm a GC and this is killing me. Gotta go back to work today and afraid to drive the truck so it's gonna sit. Soon as I get home I'm crawling underneath it and check some things. I'll keep y'all informed. Thanks

Quick Reply: grown man about to cry