Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My truck just died on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck just died on the road

My truck just died on the road.
F250 91 5.0 (302) 4X4
I replaced the ICM with an old one that I pulled from the 5.8 block, had it tested. tested good.

I have fuel, pump is working.
I have 12 volts to my coil.
my fuel safety switch is good.

what should I test to find the problem

Thanks Keith

Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I would start by checking for spark to the plugs . If none , check spark to the cap . Could be a bad rotor , moduel , pick up , etc . If good spark , check for injector pulse and proper fuel pressure . That is where I would start .

Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I would start by checking for spark to the plugs . If none , check spark to the cap . Could be a bad rotor , moduel , pick up , etc . If good spark , check for injector pulse and proper fuel pressure . That is where I would start .
Last week I had replaced all the plugs and gap them. with new wires rotor and cap. new ICM, ECU, MAP, EGR valve, engine wiring harness, fuel pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator, injectors.

How do check the spark when I have to put the clutch in.

I mean it died wile driving on the road, could not jump start it. last time this happened it was my ICM. I have not gotten my truck home yet to pull the code on it

I spent so much money already just to have something else go bad, this truck is driving me crazy

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
You can check spark with a spark tester , buy them at parts stores . You can block the wheels , put on the parking brake , put truck in neutral . DOUBLE CHECK for safety , check again . With key in the run position , jump small terminal of starter solenoid to battery + , watch for spark . You can check injector pulse the same way ( using a noid light ) . Why have you replaced all the parts you listed ? Problems with all? Guessing ? Just curious ...

Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
One more thing , you stated you could not jump start it .... Was your Battery dead ? Did the starter not operate ?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
One more thing , you stated you could not jump start it .... Was your Battery dead ? Did the starter not operate ?
Battery is fine, full 12 volts, starter is working correctly.

I had a problem with my TPS, it was flooding the engine and found that my ECU computer was faulty and sending a negative / positive cross thru my engine harness.

I am running to the parts store to have my PCM tested

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what's wrong with your truck, but I did notice you're in Hawaii, so how bad can it really be! Tell you what - let's switch. You can have my running truck and the -32 windchill and 12" of snow here in Detroit, and I'll take your truck and all it's issues as long as I'm in Hawaii. Deal?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chefsteele
Battery is fine, full 12 volts, starter is working correctly.

found that my ECU computer was faulty and sending a negative / positive cross thru my engine harness
Check all your sensors for a short to ground that pulls your 5 volt reference voltage low ! You could have a bad sensor elsewhere in the system . That can cause issues , no start , stall , no communication .

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Originally Posted by joegeds
I don't know what's wrong with your truck, but I did notice you're in Hawaii, so how bad can it really be! Tell you what - let's switch. You can have my running truck and the -32 windchill and 12" of snow here in Detroit, and I'll take your truck and all it's issues as long as I'm in Hawaii. Deal?
LOL: When summer time comes, I will let you know.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Check all your sensors for a short to ground that pulls your 5 volt reference voltage low ! You could have a bad sensor elsewhere in the system . That can cause issues , no start , stall , no communication .
Thanks I will run checks for that.

I had my ICM tested it was dead. I just replaced it two week ago and the one I replaced not even a year old. Napa had a replacement for me, I asked them to test it first, the new one also was bad. what's going on with the cheap parts.

do you think I might have something else going on that might be causing the PCM to short out or stop working correctly?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Brucekoukalaka
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Russian parts, American parts, Canadian parts ALL MADE IN CHINA !!!!!!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brucekoukalaka
Russian parts, American parts, Canadian parts ALL MADE IN CHINA !!!!!!
I hear ya! my starter from Napa I replace three times in two weeks, I ended up buying a two hundred dollar starter. Its lasted for two years and stilling strong (US made).

90% of the time I am returning parts two or three times too find one that works.

Crazy crazy I say

Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Originally Posted by joegeds
I lived in battle creek went to school at St Philip.
I know what your going thru.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Lots of parts are just junk now . I put a water pump on a Hummer 2 months ago . It got towed in last week , The pulley BROKE off at the weld . The WELD Failed ! Thankfully no other damage , besides the belt . I am tired of bad parts . 3 MAF sensors on a VW , 2 fuel pumps on a Porsche , all aftermarket ... But , I even get them from GM , Ford , Dodge , Nissan .... well , you get the picture . It is not just affecting aftermarket suppliers , OE suppliers are having issues .

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Chefsteele
Senior User
Lots of parts are just junk now . I put a water pump on a Hummer 2 months ago . It got towed in last week , The pulley BROKE off at the weld . The WELD Failed ! Thankfully no other damage , besides the belt . I am tired of bad parts . 3 MAF sensors on a VW , 2 fuel pumps on a Porsche , all aftermarket ... But , I even get them from GM , Ford , Dodge , Nissan .... well , you get the picture . It is not just affecting aftermarket suppliers , OE suppliers are having issues .
I put the new ICM my truck fired right up. I think I am having issues with the EEC replacement I got from Napa, the EEC I exchanged was in better shape then the replacement.

It is costing me more money replacing parts two three time. there has to be a better supplier for automotive parts

Quick Reply: My truck just died on the road