1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Opinions needed on 302 pan replacment

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Opinions needed on 302 pan replacment

Hi guys and gals, the next task I've started while my wife is out of town, is replacing the oil pan on my 302, plus it seems the perfect time to upgrade the PO's home made motor xmember and mounts. The problem I have is clearance wich is no surprise. So far I have removed the front non stock round tubular xmember,and loosened the motor mounts. Its ovious that the motor must be raised and supported while I substitute the pan and xmember. My question is this, can I raise and support by jacking and supporting either the harmonic balancer and or the transmission pan simotainiously? I could use a chain hoist, but Id rather not remove the hood as Im working alone. Ive posted pics below so you can see what I have. Any advice would as always be greatly appreceiated. http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...psc2d8e791.jpg http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...ps780c123f.jpg http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...ps763d8fc3.jpg http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3accf257.jpg http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3accf257.jpg Im sorry that all I could transfer were links.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't jack on the harmonic damper as you'll most likely damage your crank bearings. If you haven't already get the one piece Fel Pro oil pan gasket as it will make life so much easier.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Thanks Nathan, I do have the one piece Fel Pro gasket. Thanks for saving me un needed bearing damage. Any other safe points to jack from, Or is the hood coming off for sure?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You should be able to get a cherry picker under the hood, with a chain to lift points. This would be a perfect job for one of those lifting plates you bolt to the carb mounting surface on the intake manifold, if you've got one.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Thanks Ross I thought of that, but no way to tow one home, or get it in front of the truck of once I've got it home.The truck is pulled up close to garage wall, and on cinder blocks. I guess pulling the hood is the obvious and easiest solution. Ive pulled the hood alone B4, it just wasnt a lot of fun. I do still have the chain hoist in the rite location.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've pulled my hood and replaced it by myself, no fun for sure! You could try disconnecting the spring assemblies from the hood (pull the cotter pins at the hood end), and open the hood further, it will go almost straight up. Tie it back to the ceiling of the garage (over a rafter or something). You should be able to get it open enough to drop a chain down. (Someone did this recently and posted a pic, I can't think who)

Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 PM
jthesby
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy, where exactly in northern California are you? If your close and need a quick hand to pull that hood I'm in the north bay area.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Ross thank you for your much needed encouragement, I did it just the way you described. It wasn't that bad. And jthesby, thanks so much for being willing to help. Im 180 miles n/e of you so it would have been quite a drive, but reps for great intentions. I got the hood off, and the chain hoist hooked to a 9/16 grade 8 bolt on the front of each head, so I think Im good to go for tomorrow. FTE rules.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 PM
jthesby
Junior User
Would be a bit of a haul. So your actually in Paradise. Cool, the '49 in my garage came from a buddy of mine that is up your way I believe, in Oroville.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Jimmy,
It sounds like you have it taken care of this already but just for information you can temporarily rest the engine on the dampner while you replace the pan. With the weight of the engine just resting on the dampner it will not harm the bearings, now if you droped the engine on the dampner that is a different story. That was the way I was showed many years ago by Ford Mechanics that moonlighted for my parents at our service station.

Good luck on your projects.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by jthesby
Would be a bit of a haul. So your actually in Paradise. Cool, the '49 in my garage came from a buddy of mine that is up your way I believe, in Oroville.
Yeah Oroville is about 20 miles s/w, have fun with your 49. I love these old monkey faces. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
That's a nice looking oil pan. Where did you get it?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Jimmy,
It sounds like you have it taken care of this already but just for information you can temporarily rest the engine on the dampner while you replace the pan. With the weight of the engine just resting on the dampner it will not harm the bearings, now if you droped the engine on the dampner that is a different story. That was the way I was showed many years ago by Ford Mechanics that moonlighted for my parents at our service station.

Good luck on your projects.
Thanks for that information I appreciate all help.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by carnut122
That's a nice looking oil pan. Where did you get it?
Good morning, I ordered it on line from Sumitt Racing, along with the Fel Pro One piece pan gasket.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Here is a pic of the gasket that has been mentioned, but not shown.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on 302 pan replacment