1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash switch vs. floor lever to engage 4 WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
sutter1961
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash switch vs. floor lever to engage 4 WD

Hi- We just bought a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel and are about to buy a used 2008 F250 Lariat Supercab w/the V10 in 4 wheel drive to pull it. The truck has the shorter bed, has 55K miles, and appears in like new condition.

We have looked at several F250/F350 trucks, all diesels, and they all have a dash mounted switch to engage the 4 WD system. This V10 truck we may buy has a lever on the floor.

Could someone tell me why that is, and does that make any difference? Any general thoughts about the truck? It has the 4.10 axle, I think the tow rating is 14,200 lbs. pulling a fifth wheel. Any issues with the 2008 F250 4x4 V10 truck?

Many thanks for your help.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts
Some guys prefer the manual lever to the dash switch (ESOF). The ESOF system can develop issues. Mine has always worked fine, just used it last night.

I enjoy my truck but maybe not as much if I was towing 10K on a regular basis. There is always plenty of debate here on gas vs diesel. Personally, if I were going to tow 10k on a regular basis for long distances Id opt for the diesel.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
crabhab
Senior User
My current 2010 truck has the mechanical floor shift and manual hubs I much prefer this setup over the electronic shifted setup. for three reasons:

1. The vacuum lines that come on the Electronic Shift On the Fly (ESOF) become brittle with age and render the automatic hubs inop (you can still manually engage them by hand). Sometimes the electronic shift actuator goes bad in the transfer case. Less stuff to break

2. You can flat tow a manual 4wd super duty by shifting the transfer case to neutral.

4. You get the ability to use 2wd low range with a manual transfer case.

The 2008-2010 trucks were the last years for the V-10 in a pickup truck configuration. The 3valve V-10 is an excellent motor and very very reliable. With a 4.10 gear ratio it will be a stout pulling rig. I would not want to use that combo a my daily driver as it will be hard on fuel loaded or empty.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by sutter1961
Hi- We just bought a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel and are about to buy a used 2008 F250 Lariat Supercab w/the V10 in 4 wheel drive to pull it. The truck has the shorter bed, has 55K miles, and appears in like new condition.

We have looked at several F250/F350 trucks, all diesels, and they all have a dash mounted switch to engage the 4 WD system. This V10 truck we may buy has a lever on the floor.

Could someone tell me why that is, and does that make any difference? Any general thoughts about the truck? It has the 4.10 axle, I think the tow rating is 14,200 lbs. pulling a fifth wheel. Any issues with the 2008 F250 4x4 V10 truck?

Many thanks for your help.
Welcome to FTE Sutter, personally I prefer the floor lever, you know it is locked in when you engage it, with the switch, things can happen,,, there is no difference, well, let me change that, if you turn the switch, or pull the lever, BOTH of those actions will engage the 4wd system, they just go about it different ways. I prefer the lever.
Having never towed with the V10, I can't give you any advice on that other than some love it and some will tell ya get a diesel,,, that to me, just comes down to your preference. Good Luck choosing and ask away on questions you may have!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I am going to be the odd ball. I prefer the ESOF. I have never had any issues with it given proper maintenance (Checking vacuum lines) and it means I dont have to hop out into the mud when I need 4x4 if I wasnt planning on needing it. Works for me every time.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
although my last 3 trucks had the ESOF. my early dodge had the floor shifter and I do prefer that over the turn ****. My last 02 SD turn **** failed and hubs locked up. Cost me $$ to repair. I know todays trucks are all about tech/switches for the lazy buyer but I wish they would go back to floor shifter, its more reliable and stupid simple. JMO!!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are a truck guy who likes trucks, plays with trucks, enjoys working on trucks, drives trucks off-road on dirt and snow and mud and likes the ultimate control and flexibility, the fully manual shift and hub combo is pretty much agreed to be best. If you are a normal person who wants a 4WD truck for backing into camping spots, driving on a bit of slippery grass, going shopping during a snow storm, your family includes people who will often drive your truck and don't know a hub from a donut, you want the ESOF. If you are like me, you're half way between and you want whatever the truck you are going to get a screaming deal on used happens to have... I used to be all into the tech, and tweaking and mods and theoretical performance differences and now I just don't want to have to get out of the nice warm cab when I pull off the highway into my snow covered driveway...

edit - on your truck choice, I think the 2008 F250 V10 4.11 diff. is a great choice. I would prefer that to a 6.4 diesel. Caveats - lousy gas mileage would make it impossible for me, when I was towing 4K miles a month. My fuel savings (savings, not costs) were around $150 a day when I went to my 6.0 PSD from a gas engined Dodge. Get a slider hitch for that short bed. If your trips are shorter, or less frequent, or you can afford the gas and who cares... then the V10 is actually the best choice for your application in that model year as far as I'm concerned.

Brian

Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Guarddog63
New User
I've got a 2002 V-10 and a 2000 7.3. I was asked which I liked better and I said I liked having the choice between the two of them. I do prefer the manual shift (both vehicles have manual trannies as well). The V-10 with the 4.10 sounds like a great combo for pulling your camper. I have 175,000 miles on mine and just gave it it's first tune up. If it's a good deal and the truck checks out with your mechanic, jump on it. Enjoy and safe travels!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MC5C
If you are a truck guy who likes trucks, plays with trucks, enjoys working on trucks, drives trucks off-road on dirt and snow and mud and likes the ultimate control and flexibility, the fully manual shift and hub combo is pretty much agreed to be best. If you are a normal person who wants a 4WD truck for backing into camping spots, driving on a bit of slippery grass, going shopping during a snow storm, your family includes people who will often drive your truck and don't know a hub from a donut, you want the ESOF. If you are like me, you're half way between and you want whatever the truck you are going to get a screaming deal on used happens to have... I used to be all into the tech, and tweaking and mods and theoretical performance differences and now I just don't want to have to get out of the nice warm cab when I pull off the highway into my snow covered driveway...
I disagree. I use my truck off road all the time. Thats the only time 4x4 gets used. And it always works great. If you're the kind of guy who likes "mudding" in big pits with 45" tires then the manual is for you. I dont do that. I go out on trails and explore. For that, I am perfectly content with ESOF. In fact I tromp around in 2wd until I get somewhere I need 4x4. Once I pass the bad area I go back to 2wd But thats just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my manual warn hub and esof combo

Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want to have 4wd that you know will engage go with the manual lever & hubs.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Exercise the front hubs occasionally and you will probably never have to fix anything in a manual 4wd system. ESOF isn't bad per say, but issues do arise from time to time. Currant truck is my first with ESOF. I can say I prefer manual now. sometimes you need to roll forward a bit for it to engage, mostly in cold weather like today here in Michigan (-10f this morning). With my manual trucks I left the hubs locked all winter except when I left on long Highway drive in good weather so a quick tug of the shifter was all that was needed.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I've had both systems and see the merits of each. But I prefer the ESOF system for the simplicity. The transfer case shift motor is a relatively rare failure, most of the failures have to do with the vacuum system for the locking hubs. And those can be manually locked for just such an occasion.

I'm a bit biased though, after a back surgery a few years ago I can't bend at the waist. That makes hunching over to pull a lever something I really don't like doing. Just on the way home this afternoon I shifted into and out of 4-hi a half dozen times. With the floor lever that's a lot of hunching and subsequent pain to deal with.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Personally i loved my ESOF when i was working but the hubs often times (if not taken care of) break. My truck has had new hubs every two years since it was new BUT they were never taken apart and greased. When they failed on me last winter i took them off and greased them and they worked for about a month or two then they would not come out of 4x4 even after regreasing them again. I ended up getting Mile Marker hubs like miles and if i might get into a situation where i will need 4x4 ill turn the ***** the day before it snows or something and then just flick the switch and go on about my business. Getting the Auto hubs to unlock was also a challenge though took me an hour of driving around and bucking up and trying all sorts of things to get them out once.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a sour taste for ESOF as the shift motor failed on the 05 F150 I had and never operated right on the 06 F250 and left me "stranded", not really but didn't work well. I was also always locking the hubs and they started freezing up. So I was looking for the floor shift in the current truck. I like the setup and will look for it whenever the next truck is purchased, if it's still offered 10 years from now!!

I DID like the convenience of ESOF plus you still had the ability to lock the hub if the vacuum failed. Yes my hubs could've been taken apart but I don't have that kind of time anymore to work on vehicles when it's not a "must" repair situation. I would've just ponied up the bucks for new ones.

As far as the V10 goes, I like mine a lot. I tow up to 14,000 a few times a year and it makes the truck work, like any would need to with that weight. However I only tow short distances and no real highway towing. Lots of slow stop and go so I'm not sure having any motor in that situation is better. My parents travel cross country with. 9-10,000 travel trailer and a 3/4 chevy 6.0 gas. My dad doesn't care if he's up the hill first though. After 7,000 miles they made it home, twice. People tow trailers with gas trucks every day. More just tow them with diesels. Maybe that says something?

Quick Reply: Dash switch vs. floor lever to engage 4 WD