1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

RockAuto Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM
duallydondon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RockAuto Issues

Just a quick note of warning to those who buy from RockAuto,,,really always thought that they handled only first quality parts but my mind was changed when I replaced the four shocks on my 2008 F250 SuperDuty,,after install both of the front shocks started leaking ,,one lots more than the other,,,contacted RockAuto and their response was ,,"those shocks were warehouse closeouts, therefore they only have 30day warranty" had them on the box for two weeks till I got the time to change them!!!,,,So I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with them??? Anyway the important lesson learned too late is avoid "warehouse closeouts" and maybe RockAuto altogether!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Texas_Rebel
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by duallydondon
Just a quick note of warning to those who buy from RockAuto,,,really always thought that they handled only first quality parts but my mind was changed when I replaced the four shocks on my 2008 F250 SuperDuty,,after install both of the front shocks started leaking ,,one lots more than the other,,,contacted RockAuto and their response was ,,"those shocks were warehouse closeouts, therefore they only have 30day warranty" had them on the box for two weeks till I got the time to change them!!!,,,So I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with them??? Anyway the important lesson learned too late is avoid "warehouse closeouts" and maybe RockAuto altogether!!!
Ive ordered a bunch of stuff from them, only had 1 issue and it was actually my fault for not reading the part description correctly. My dad uses them and hasnt had any issues either.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3

Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
I have bought their closeouts before. All I know is you got a super deal on them, even though they did not work. Their closeouts can be a third the cost of buying them in the local parts store. So I don't think you were hurt too badly. And they always disclose what brand you are buying also.

Your post is not going to stop me from buying from them. The only thing you have to watch out for is shipping, they will ship from several different places and the shipping will be a little high. But even with that, I still save money versus buying from the local parts stores.

P.S. How come you posted this in the 80-86 forum? Just curious.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Texas_Rebel
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have bought their closeouts before. All I know is you got a super deal on them, even though they did not work. Their closeouts can be a third the cost of buying them in the local parts store. So I don't think you were hurt too badly. And they always disclose what brand you are buying also.

Your post is not going to stop me from buying from them. The only thing you have to watch out for is shipping, they will ship from several different places and the shipping will be a little high. But even with that, I still save money versus buying from the local parts stores.
Same here. Theyve got me with their shipping prices before, so I keep a better eye out now to make sure I dont get caught by it again. As long as they get me my parts cheaper than OReillys, and I dont need it right away, I will use them.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3

Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
bill06447
Senior User
I've been buying from them regularly (meaning an order/delivery 3-6x a month) for the past eight years and have had only a couple problems with wrong or defective parts and they have always promptly rectified the situation to my satisfaction. Now as to the factory closeouts, they are very tempting, and I do purchase plenty of parts marked as such, but I will think carefully about buying those parts that may be affected by age. I'll never buy closeout gas-charged shocks or master cylinders/abs units. But I will buy electrical and hard parts-I recently bought a set of Chevy truck brake drums for $7 apiece, came in a Western Auto box with a 1997 ship date! ~Bill

Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 PM
x_man586
Senior User
Well I got a brand new set of factory brake rotors for my Lightning that was warped. I had to pull them back off and have them turned.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Sadly , it does not matter where you buy parts anymore . Price and warranty are my only thoughts . Many parts , from most suppliers , are substandard parts . I Rarely purchase from Any source that is not local . I see shipping as an unneeded cost . But ... Our parts bill from our main local supplier last month was almost 6K . That does not include heavy truck parts and other suppliers . Just saying , I see a lot of parts , and a lot of substandard parts . Too many bad parts industry wide .

Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You are told up front that Closeout parts have only a 30-day warranty, how is it the vendor's fault if you wait until after the warranty expires before you try and install them?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
I'm a RockAuto fan. I've only had one issue with them and they handled it. Purchased a set of shackle bushings that were supposed to be four to the package but there were only two. I suspect someone returned the package with two bushings missing. Not RockAuto's fault.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 AM
JPalmer81
Senior User
I have had nothing but good dealings with rockauto, and like others have said, they disclose everything about the stuff they sell, so there should be no surprises.

Your post seems to me like some mud slinging, and it also seems that you are using this forum to post it, and on top of that, your not even in the right category for the truck and parts that you bought.

I smell a troll.............

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
No problems what so ever with Rockauto. As mentioned above, you just have to watch the shipping. Twice a part was missing in the shipment. Called them up and the missing part was sent right out.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM
SSellers
Senior User
I get every single factory type replacement part for my vehicles from Rock Auto. The "wholesaler closeout" parts are ones that parts stores can't move which have been sent to Rock Auto.....ever try to get a part for your truck that wasn't available at the local parts house? Chances are they sent any they had to Rock to make shelf space for more in-demand parts.

When I rebuilt the front end on the truck I got for my dad I got all the Moog ball joints and camber bushings from Rock and got the wholesaler closeouts. They were all Carquest boxed Moog parts. One of the camber bushings wound up being too large so what happened is some a-hole at a Carquest somewhere probably unboxed a bunch of them for a customer to look at and then put them back in the wrong boxes. Not Rock's fault at all. At that point the truck was nosed into my detached garage with a spindle that couldn't be put back on and the closest camber bushing on a shelf was at a NAPA in Virginia (I live in SC). It was Thursday night so I ordered four bushings from Rock's "regular inventory" (figured one had to be right) second day air since next day would get there the same time due to the weekend but cost twice as much, used my floor jack as a trolley under the front end and manned the truck out of the garage, finished the front end rebuild a few days later, and gave the three extra bushings to the shop that did the alignment since they said they did see these trucks at their shop regularly enough to benefit having some of those on hand.

Oh, and I also bought about $80 worth of high end wiper blades in their huge wiper blade wholesaler closeout that were NAPA boxed Trico Neoforms for about $25.

All that said, even the best places have bad experiences from time to time.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
One time I had issues with them. I purchased an A/C compressor and the clutch was bad out of the box. They would not accept the warranty because I did not buy a system flush, but I did have receipts for every other A/C part showing that everything was replaced. They wouldn't do anything until I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Even after receiving the complaint, they said no. After going back and forth with lengthy messages that I do not entirely remember, I mentioned that they should contact Four Seasons about the warranty. They did, and were told that since I had replaced all the other components that they would accept the warranty. The whole process took a little over a month and I paid return shipping. They said they would only give me store credit, I agreed that was fine until I never actually received the credit. I sent them another message in reply to theirs about the refund, mentioning that I did not receive anything, that I was tired of messing around, and that I did not want store credit anymore. The whole situation made me feel like they didn't care about keeping a customer.. After receiving the refund I ordered a compressor from Amazon, it showed up in no time, and it was cheaper than Rockauto. Of course, the seal in that compressor blew out in no time, and what did Amazon do? They sent me a new compressor, no questions asked before even returning the old one. I was able to simply put the old part in the box, immediately after receiving the new one to return it. That is quality customer service.

I later bought two shocks and suspension parts for a car to give them another chance (they had the shocks discounted cheaper than I could buy them anywhere else), and they came mismatched. One was like an air rider, and the other was the stock replacement that I ordered. They sent me the correct one with no issue via 2-day shipping. That is much better, but I would rather not have the issues in the first place.