who do you have for emergency towing? AAA? motor club? someone else

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who do you have for emergency towing? AAA? motor club? someone else

I have waited long enough and need to discuss what you guys have done to prepare your self for road side emergancys and towing? I have had Allstate motor club but but they make me upset because they won't clearly tell you how many available tows you have etc. I have heard AAA will. I used 2 lockouts and a 420$ towing experience with Allstate motor club and all it costed was 15$ per month.

Thinking about getting AAA to know just how many tows I have left to use. I have progressive on my truck and a guy at work told me their "unlimited towing" means up to 10 miles per day on your vehicle. How true is this ?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Don't carry a policy. Used to for the RVs, but only used it one time in 20+ years so it was a waste of money. Some auto policies include it. Best way to know would be read policy and call agent. Probably depends on what "piece of mind" is worth. If I thought I would have any regular need for such, I would trade for a better ride.

Just my opinion.

Steve

Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
We have towing for the truck through our insurance company for $40 a year and $2000 towing for the trailer included in the insurance policy. Both are insured by Nationwide.

Denny

Old 01-02-2014, 12:04 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
I have AARP - never had anything bad to say about them....In the few times (maybe once a year) that I've used them they sent a truck in less than 30 minutes. Last time for a RV tire blowout in about 15 minutes! As far as # of tows...I don't know.... my vehicles are pretty new.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I had Good Sam for a few years, never used them so I dropped it.

Good insurance policy for the truck and trailer should be fine.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Contact AAA directly, anything else is just hearsay.......I have AAA, i got there middle tier plan, i believe i get free tows up to either 100 or 200 miles, they have three levels of service/protection here for Oregon/Idaho........Other states may be different, call an office speak to a rep, see what they offer in YOUR locale

Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Well right now, if it's the wife's car, I'm the tow truck (My SD and car trailer) lol.

If it's my SD, then I'll just call the dealer and say "Come and get it", regardless of where it is. I had towing on my old car through Progressive and never used it. I think I still have it on wife's car too.

I did use Allstate motor club once, about 10 years ago. It was free, covered any vehicle I was driving at the time. I was driving my buddy's SD dually down interstate 17 in AZ and a rear tire let go and took the fender off. They came in less than 30 min and hauled us to town. Never saw a bill on that one. I never heard anything like a limited number of tows from them? But I only used them once, so...

Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
I went self insured [ I will pay for the tow truck ] there was to many limits to meet my tow needs.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have double coverage - I have a family plan thru AAA - mid range coverage - covers me son and 2 daughters no matter what vehicle we are in - I like that - no matter who my daughters may be with - wherever they happen to be - if the vehicle they are in has any issues my daughter can call AAA and the vehicle is covered - locked keys in car - dead battery - flat tires - run out of gas are the ones I know they have used.

My SD is covered by Ford while under warranty - Coach-Net Motor Club for my F-350 and larger vehicles.

Ford uses Cross Country Motor Club for F-250 and below and passenger cars.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
I have AAA and Allstate roadside assistance. I have used Allstate 3 times so far, and have one more tow left with them this year. I have their premium membership, which includes one tow up to 200 miles. Already used that one when my Jaguar XJ-6 broke down 150 miles from home. Never had any problems with AAA, and have yet to use the Allstate plan. Was told they (Allstate) give me a $250 limit on tows, so theoretically I could have used them when the Jag broke down, but went with Allstate instead. I go four wheeling 3-4 times a year, and it is nice to know I am covered should the Bronco break down. (Which it did in June of last year, which is why I got AAA, too late to help with that tow, but came in handy for the Jag.)

Jim

Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't remember the last time I needed 'roadside assistance' (probably over 25 years ago when my ex stuffed the Sube into a pole and ditch after too many drinks), but do have some double coverage. The Ford ESP or ins. co. will cover the truck or my regular insurance company will cover the car. The '31 Ford street rod is covered by Grundy Collector Car insurance. FWIW, I still can change a flat tire on any vehicle, including the 5er along with fixing minor problems, particularly the '31, the most 'fragile'. We are planning an extended TT trip next summer and may go for Good Sam just in case.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:56 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
I have roadside assistance through my insurance. Part of the comprehensive coverage I have. Only used it once. And that was this past november when I had to have my truck towed to the body shop. Didnt want the city to tow it because it would have gone to the impound yard for the weekend. Otherwise I just use 1 of 2 local tow companies or just call my brother to drag me home with his Ram. I have dragged him home a few times to save the tow bill.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Don't carry a policy. Used to for the RVs, but only used it one time in 20+ years so it was a waste of money. Some auto policies include it. Best way to know would be read policy and call agent. Probably depends on what "piece of mind" is worth. If I thought I would have any regular need for such, I would trade for a better ride.

Just my opinion.

Steve
I use BCAA and I get it free with points I get from buying fuel at the Husky Oil stations.

I have used mine lots over the years as Ive had Fords for years and don't really want to change my ride for another brand!

Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will say one thing from my experience as a police officer for 35 years in a state capital crime filled getto city - the ONLY auto service that had dedicated service trucks that had to respond to the getto - including major state highways passing thru the city was AAA.

AAA responded no matter where the call was for (occasionally asked for the police to stand by) Other auto services would tell the drivers to get towed and send them the bill - these people were left high and dry.

This one of the reasons I went with AAA a long time ago for my wife and the time and kept it for my daughters!

As a side note I believe alsmost all of the road service companies have a disclaimer about the vehicle must be on a public road or paved road - something like that. The FORD service plan that covers the vehicle while under warranty says the will service - tow - rescue a stuck vehicle a distance from a paved road - maybe 200 feet off pavement. Not 100% sure of the distance right now.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I travel with a 5th wheel.. i used aaa.. I broke down once in the middle of the night, out in the middle of nowhere. AAA was useless and disappointing.

The last 5 years i have been with Coach Net.. I personally like them better. personal opinion and experience.

Quick Reply: who do you have for emergency towing? AAA? motor club? someone else