1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Information on a 1988 Cayel-Craft ambulance, built on a Ford E350 (diesel) cargo van?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 AM
Radius
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information on a 1988 Cayel-Craft ambulance, built on a Ford E350 (diesel) cargo van?

So, bought an ambulance, as everyone does...

Now am trying to get some information on the particulars, from the ambulance side, as the Ford part of the equation is fairly well documented.

Have reached out to Maintainer Custom Bodies (the current incarnation of the company that was Cayel-Craft), but have gotten put off, a bit of run-around, and no information. I realize part of that is the age of the beast, so I am trying other avenues.

Does anyone know of information, online or off, of others that have domesticated former ambulances? I've found bits and pieces, some few pictures, but no central location(s) of such activities/information, if such exists.

Would appreciate any recommendations/directions.

Thanks,
Ray~

Old 01-02-2014, 06:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
What info are you looking to find Ray?

Is this something you're gutting or striping out for another use?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Radius
New User
JWA,

Thanks for the reply- sorry, in all that I wrote, I didn't specify.

My intent, as well as having a different than typical rig, is to use it as a mobile science & skills lab for schools in the area. Not day to day elementary school fare, but where/when they need something special demonstrated, that they are not typically set up for.

So, in working towards that, I would like to find information on the layout of the wiring, heating, and other systems in the bay, so I can better use and adapt what is present, without needlessly recreating the wheel, so to speak. Also, I'd just like the information to better know/understand my vehicle.

Thanks again,

Ray~

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
There seems to be scant little info about that brand---in this day and time that's quite shocking or amazing. Either way doesn't bode well for you Ray.

I did find a number of for sale offerings which makes me wonder if said seller of a version similar to yours could/would share their knowledge of operation and features with you? This being an ad hoc vehicle those who owned/maintained them would be a great resource I'm thinking?!

Sorry can't be any more help than this.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Radius
New User
JWA,

Yes, as you found, I am also rather surprised at the lack of information out there.

Got an email today from Maintainer Custom Bodies, which ended any hope of information along that avenue.

As you say, anyone who worked on them and/or maintained them, might well be a excellent source of information. I suppose there are EMS forums, etc., that also might provide something, perhaps.

I will look for sales, perhaps any company that has several in their "fleet", as well as EMS forums.

Thanks much,

Ray~

Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Best of luck in that search Ray---I know how frustrating it can be!

Ya know though I'd check around locally either at municipalities or private ambulance companies, talk to whoever maintains their equipment---someone fairly close has to have a working knowledge of your conversion.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Post some pics Ray. What will you use this ambulance for?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Radius
New User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...?albumid=41560

Going to be a personal craft, with the thin justification of using it as a demonstration vehicle for science experiments, etc., at local schools, to explain why I have it. :>

Last edited by Radius; 01-04-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Link not working
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Radius
New User
The URL in the above, ending in "...=41560" takes you to the album of the pictures I've uploaded.

The "Click the image to open in full size." is invalid, and doesn't seem to get you anywhere, but I can't seem to remove it

Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Thanks for sharing your photos----interesting!

Depending on the use this will see most often you could leave it as is, strip it out and start all over or the alternate "somewhere between those two......".

In the end the use this will see most often will dictate what you do or don't do. For me I'd remove anything not necessary to my immediate needs, eliminating those things I'd think were potential sources of trouble for a daily driver or partial RV use maybe.

There's lots of good stuff inside so I'll be looking forward to your progress on it.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Shocker
Junior User
Also, you might work with a good marine outfit as alot of the systems on our ambulances are very similar.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Radius
New User
Appreciate the further response and advice, JWA & Shocker.

Nothing much in the way, as it were, and the cabinetry, especially those that can be accessed from both the interior & exterior, are golden.

Have come up absolutely empty so far as information on the craft. Posted to an active EMS forum, and have had near 200 people read my post, but no replies.

JWA- where did you find Cayel-Craft ambulances for sale, as I've found little?

Do want to get a fold-down gurney, if for no other reason than the mechanics, to use, or modify, for more comfortable sleeping, as the further I proceed the more I see its being a multi-use vehicle (as are most, truly, but even more so). They do think a great deal of them, so will need see if I can locate one that's broken down, and need of restoration, etc..

Thanks again,

Ray˜

Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Radius
New User
Appreciate the further response and advice, JWA & Shocker.

Nothing much in the way, as it were, and the cabinetry, especially those that can be accessed from both the interior & exterior, are golden.

Have come up absolutely empty so far as information on the craft. Posted to an active EMS forum, and have had near 200 people read my post, but no replies.

Do want to get a fold-down gurney, if for no other reason than the mechanics, to use, or modify, for more comfortable sleeping, as the further I proceed the more I see its being a multi-use vehicle (as are most, truly, but even more so). They do think a great deal of them, so will need see if I can locate one that's broken down, and need of restoration, etc..

Thanks again,

Ray˜

Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Radius

Sorry we can't be more helpful---frustrating I know!

My Google search criteria was simply Cayel Craft, perhaps more than one incarnation of it spelling wise etc.

Originally Posted by Radius
Do want to get a fold-down gurney.....
I had a wild hare idea about adapting one for a mobile tool box, envisioned it being easily removed and replaced in my work truck---didn't work out quite the way imagined though.

I found a used but serviceable Ferno-Washington old school stretcher locally through eBay---paid like $65 for it complete. When it was scrapped out I got like $50 for it---not too bad.

Like I said wish I could be more helpful Ray.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Shocker
Junior User
Alright! After some research, I found the current company that supports Cayel-Craft bodies. It is the former manufacturer of several ambulances.

Maintainer Custom Bodies » Custom Emergency, Fire, and Rescue Vehicle Manufacturer

Maintainer Custom Bodies
909 S. East St
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
800-843-4288

I did call them up and confirmed that they can help with Cayel-Craft stuff.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Information on a 1988 Cayel-Craft ambulance, built on a Ford E350 (diesel) cargo van?