Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

Oregon's 2014 Official BS thread. May you all be full of it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Good morning Evan. Any summer intern programs this year?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit-P3
Good morning Evan. Any summer intern programs this year?
Getting hired by BLM Springfield again as a temp for the summer. My supervisor said she'll hire me back for the same GS-4 position no matter what, but I applied for the same job at a higher pay grade as well. Last year I didn't have enough school credits/work experience to get GS-5, but I should have enough this year.

My supervisor also has unofficially offered me a term (5 year) position working there, but there are some details to work out. She would like to hire me on for that as soon as this fall, but I would need to work it out with my school schedule. I'll only be 5 classes away from graduating at that point, so hopefully something will work out.

The tough part will be having to commute from Corvallis. It's alright for the summer, but 90 miles a day of commute gets old quick, and we can't really move until Jackie finished her nursing program next year, and we don't know where she'll be working. Ideally if I get the job with BLM in Springfield she'll be able to find a nursing position at River Bend Hospital there and we can find a non-liberal area to live (Dave, does this even exist in Eugene/Springfield?).
Otherwise, if she can get a job in the Albany/Lebanon/Corvallis area we could maybe find a house in south Albany or Tangent so I wouldn't have quite as long of a commute.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Sounds like a heck of a good plan. If your wife has an RN or LPN behind her name, I would think she could get a job without too many problems.

Time to get ready to go. Have a good day everyone.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
That's what we're hoping for. She'll have her RN completed, and as much as I'd like to find a job closer to Corvallis, there just aren't really any federal recreation jobs close by that I would qualify for at this point. I don't want to pass up the opportunity in Springfield because it's a great place to work, good people, and it would provide me with well rounded experience. I'll likely be working as a Park Ranger or Recreation Technician for several years until I can qualify for an upper level position like Recreation Planner or Multi-Resource Manager.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
customcab66
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snowing here in prinevillle could be fun after work

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon gang. Wasn't feeling up to par this morning so I called in sick. Might as well use the time... I can't cash it in or get s nickel of it when I retire.

Not much going on on their than watching tv and taking it easy.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Good evening everyone. Beautiful sunset out the window right now.

Time for more studying...

Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Getting hired by BLM Springfield again as a temp for the summer. My supervisor said she'll hire me back for the same GS-4 position no matter what, but I applied for the same job at a higher pay grade as well. Last year I didn't have enough school credits/work experience to get GS-5, but I should have enough this year.

My supervisor also has unofficially offered me a term (5 year) position working there, but there are some details to work out. She would like to hire me on for that as soon as this fall, but I would need to work it out with my school schedule. I'll only be 5 classes away from graduating at that point, so hopefully something will work out.

The tough part will be having to commute from Corvallis. It's alright for the summer, but 90 miles a day of commute gets old quick, and we can't really move until Jackie finished her nursing program next year, and we don't know where she'll be working. Ideally if I get the job with BLM in Springfield she'll be able to find a nursing position at River Bend Hospital there and we can find a non-liberal area to live (Dave, does this even exist in Eugene/Springfield?).
Otherwise, if she can get a job in the Albany/Lebanon/Corvallis area we could maybe find a house in south Albany or Tangent so I wouldn't have quite as long of a commute.
Check out the Hayden Bridge and Thurston areas of Springfield..........as nice as the best areas in Pewgene, minus the liberals.................Or.......You could move up-river like me, or to Marcola, Jasper, Lowell, Dexter or any of the rural areas close to Springfield.
Forget Pewgene, they call Springfield Springtucky because people actually work for livings and don't vote democrat.
The only areas of Springfield to avoid are those within a few blocks of main st.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Check out the Hayden Bridge and Thurston areas of Springfield..........as nice as the best areas in Pewgene, minus the liberals.................Or.......You could move up-river like me, or to Marcola, Jasper, Lowell, Dexter or any of the rural areas close to Springfield.
Forget Pewgene, they call Springfield Springtucky because people actually work for livings and don't vote democrat.
The only areas of Springfield to avoid are those within a few blocks of main st.
Thanks for the info. I would love to live outside town a bit. Jackie wants to stay within 5-10 minutes drive from a good grocery store.

I don't mind neighbors too much, but I'd rather have more space and maybe an acre or two of property.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a 82 mile round trip commute..........but it's worth it.
NO noise
NO neighbors
NO BS

Springfield area is OK, but we needed space.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Belated good evening, almost morning everyone. Got home from the VA and Costco about 3 1/2 hours ago and went to bed. Some spasms have started hitting really hard so now I'm wide awake.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning Oregon FTE gang and friends.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Good morning Oregon, happy Hump Day! I see FTE was up late last night, redecorating....

Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning guys!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Morning Don, what's shakin' today?

Quick Reply: Oregon's 2014 Official BS thread. May you all be full of it!