Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Dash Dilemma

Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Double-dins are not an exact fit without a little surgery on the plastic face of the dash... but it just takes a few minutes with a Dremel.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
This is the unit purchased by tarzansg and mcskeezy running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and reportedly running Torque Pro via a OBSII to USB dongle:

2 din Android 4.1 car pc, built in car DVD+GPS+Wifi+Bluetooth+Dual core 1GB CPU+DDR3 1GB +8GB Flash+4G Map free shipping-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

It is $400.38 with shipping.

Here is an USB ELM OBDII dongle:

ScanTool 423001 ElmScan 5 Compact OBD-II Scan Tool and OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive ScanTool 423001 ElmScan 5 Compact OBD-II Scan Tool and OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive

It is $24 without shipping.

As stated by mcskeezy here, it runs torque pro gauges on the headunit without the use of a smartphone:

E-257AGNR Android 4.1 Double DIN Head Unit - xda-developers

And discussed in nauseating and mostly irrelevant depth here:

"AN-21 U" - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Pure Android 4.1 Car Stereo Radio Head Unit [ROOTED] - xda-developers

If any FTEer's are running their gauges on their headunit, please post your experiences.

Well Tugly is right, this thing is about to pop, posted 2 hours ago:

Google teams up with automakers to bring Android to cars

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/goo...50777-Jan2014/

Introducing the Open Automotive Alliance

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#about

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Tim Hodgson just shared a link with me. It basically says our dash is the next bullseye for the electronics market... here's an excerpt:

"GOOGLE HAS TEAMED up with a number of automakers to bring its Android platform to cars.

The Open Automotive Alliance, which consists of Audi, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai and chipmaker Nvidia, will bring a specially-designed Android system to vehicles.

The first cars with Android integration are expected to arrive at the end of the year.

Google hopes to add more automakers to the group over time and said that it will “enthusiastically work” with any company that’s wants to integrate the service into their cars.

The group has already been in touch with US government agencies like the National Highways Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to ensure the new system doesn’t distract drivers while they’re on the road.

With the global auto industry expected to reach 85 million sales this year, the move gives Android another opportunity to add to the one billion smartphone and tablet activations it has.
"

Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
ScaldedDog
Elder User
ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
ScaldedDog, I like that phone mount; can you use it with the new phone also?

How do you like the Note 3? It's probably going to be my next phone too since my eyes aren't what they used to be . . .
That particular mount is specific to the HTC Thunderbolt, but I have a similar one for the Note 3. I love the Note, and got it for the same reason you are considering it: I need the big display.

Mark

Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
It's here!

Google has announced the availability of Android Auto for all compatible Android devices - which can be used in anything from a 1969 Volkswagon Beetle to a 2017 Ford Superduty pickup. [LINK] I'll say this, though... there are extra trinkets available for vehicles with OBDII ports.

iPhony users are not completely left out - Apple's CarPlay is available, but it has a more limited repertoire than Android Auto.

If you are shopping for a new head unit, it would behoove you to seek out the terms "Android Auto" and "CarPlay". Vehicle buyers of the future will have a tendency to snub rigs without this capability. If you're skeptical - think of it this way: If you had two identical trucks to choose from, would you take the one with the CD player - or the one with the in-dash navigation, phone interface, SD card with thousands of songs, Pandora, backup camera... all voice controlled? Would it effect how much you are willing to pay for the rig?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 AM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for bringing this back to the top for me Rich. I have a bit of reading to do after work. I didn't realize the original thread dated back to 2014! Some of it might be ancient history by now!

Old 11-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Macmathews is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Every bit of reading I do tells me one thing - our dash is the next "Holy Grail" for the electronics manufacturers. It makes sense: Everybody (that wants them) has portable devices, and our home computers are a flooded market as well. The American culture has our vehicles as a prominent feature in our lives... and this is spreading to other parts of the world. Millions and millions of cars with cassette players, CD players, 8-tracks, and plain ol' radios... itching to catch up with what's clipped to our belts or our purses.

Whatever is available now is going to be outdone in months... not years.

If you just want music, GPS, and a backup cam... there are some fine units on the market. If you're wanting Torque or some form of scan tool in your head unit... you may need to push the PAUSE button ("Safety") on your Buck$Zooka.

And if some of us want the latter, what do you recommend ?
GPS, music camera ?

Kyle

Old 11-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Macmathews View Post
GPS, music camera ?

Kyle
The Pioneer 4200 NEX (?) looks like a nice unit...for $600!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Macmathews View Post
GPS, music camera ?

Kyle
The Pioneer 7200 NEX has built-in GPS, but it's a real punch to the wallet for the GPS feature alone. You might consider the Pioneer 4200 NEX like Dan V mentioned, and use a linked phone for location. If you are like me and you drive a lot where there is no cell signal for many miles - the 7200 re-enters viability. I just protest spending a lot of money on GPS, because my driving style hasn't needed it for years. When I was a field tech and rented cars in a new town on a frequent basis, I used a GPS app on my laptop for a lot less money than that feature in the head unit.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
red mistress
Freshman User
red mistress is starting off with a positive reputation.
head unit it's now 2018

Reviving this thread, as it's best one I've found.

What's latest greatest head unit for diesel monitoring ?

Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 PM
L-ight
Senior User
L-ight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by red mistress View Post
Reviving this thread, as it's best one I've found.

What's latest greatest head unit for diesel monitoring ?
I just installed a Pumpkin Android 7.1 double din headunit and I love it. I had Kenwoods for the past 10 years. It is basically having a tablet in your vehicle. I use my phone as a hotspot and get great service. It does have its pros and cons just as name brand headunits have theirs too.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
Heads up tugly, were already past a measly 64GB for SD cards, last I checked were at a 128GB micro as card, yea this was at Best Buy and happened to pick one up for my PC, enigma has a 64GB card in the music player and a 4GB for the GPS (but I think something may have become corrupted).

Old 02-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
I have a 128G micro SD, but some of my devices can't read it. It's not that I got a low-quality SD card - it has something to do with the device makers having limits on the storage size. I have a small laptop with a micro SD slot, and the box says max is 64G. Bugger.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
mcnance865
Senior User
mcnance865 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have looked some at the newer Alpine units that you can use apple carplay and the android auto. Trying to figure out if you can really use your phone to control things or if the head unit takes over once connected. I realize there are restrictions due to safety concerns. What I am getting at is; if I use Spotify (or other app) and have a passenger who is choosing songs while I drive, can they just use the phone in their hands how they normally would? I have tried head units before that say it is easy to control, but my real concern is that trying to scroll on the vertical head unit screen would be terribly inconvenient to the point that this expensive item would not even be worth buying. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mcnance865 View Post
I have looked some at the newer Alpine units that you can use apple carplay and the android auto. Trying to figure out if you can really use your phone to control things or if the head unit takes over once connected. I realize there are restrictions due to safety concerns. What I am getting at is; if I use Spotify (or other app) and have a passenger who is choosing songs while I drive, can they just use the phone in their hands how they normally would? I have tried head units before that say it is easy to control, but my real concern is that trying to scroll on the vertical head unit screen would be terribly inconvenient to the point that this expensive item would not even be worth buying. Thanks for any input.
With AA you plug your phone in and then use your head unit. AA takes over your phone so you can't use it. You are limited to using the apps that are supported by AA. The idea is that they don't want you touching your phone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Dash Dilemma

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.