Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Dash Dilemma

Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I was looking at the "mode" benefit of the NFCs (Near-Field Communications):

Instead of going through menus to start your favorite App(s) as soon as you enter the truck - this is what happens: You install a NFC disc on your device (Android) holder. The disc contains commands that you pre-programmed from the device at an earlier time. Those commands resting in the disc are activated when the device sits on the disc.

So... say I set an Android in the holder, the disc would then command the Android to turn off the WiFi, turn on the Bluetooth (link with truck), start the Torque Pro App, and turn up the volume (for alarms). Now you have your Android in "truck" mode, just by putting it in the holder. Keep a "surf mode" disc in your wallet or someplace handy. When you're done trucking, place the Android on the surf disc (or over your butt), then the Bluetooth shuts off (conserve battery), WiFi starts back up, volume lowers to normal, and Torque closes.

How freaking cool is that?

I'm still looking into whether the "modes" can be deactivated just by leaving the close proximity of the disc.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
So what you are saying is that I could have one of these on my key chain and not have to use phone with a frigging data plan to tell my headunit to fire up the torque because I am in near field communication with my truck?

NFC Tags and Products - RapidNFC

http://rapidnfc.com/imgs/hang_tags_promo.jpg

I posted this question on the xdadevelopers.com forum:

Will this headunit itself, or is there a dongle or other device or software, which will allow this headunit to use NFC (near field communication)?

I would like to use a NFC disc with it to launch applications

and got this response:

"Not built in, but there does appear to be USB ones available.

Something like this.

http://www.partshe.com/jt502-usb-nfc...roid-ipad.html

Although I think for that one you need to write your own software (maybe it works with existing software too). I'm sure there are others around that already have software though."

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Mongo not like where this is headed..

Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson View Post
So what you are saying is that I could have one of these on my key chain and not have to use phone with a frigging data plan to tell my headunit to fire up the torque because I am in near field communication with my truck?

NFC Tags and Products - RapidNFC
NFC only works with the NFC hardware-equipped devices. I haven't found a head unit that uses such equipment, because the head unit is not portable. Some head units have a memory that restores the last-used App, or may have a setting for what is the default mode. I'd look into that for a head unit.

My most recent homework has been on portable devices... because the head units are in flux right now. Remember... the tablet market was born just three years ago, and only then did the engineers look at the concept of App radios. They're working feverishly in this game of Catch-Up. The dash cash dash is forthcoming.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
10-4. I will post the question of adding a USB dongle to a headunit to support NFC on the xdadevelopers.com forum. And also whether Android 4.1 Jelly Bean headunits can be upgraded to 4.4 KitKat (Edit). My focus is on a $250-$300 headunit.

Dan V: Why not? What say you?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
10-4. I will post the question of adding a USB dongle to a headunit to support NFC on the xdadevelopers.com forum. And also whether Android 4.1 Jelly Bean headunits can be upgraded to 4.3 KitKat. My focus is on a $250-$300 headunit.

4.4 is Kit Kat

Oh... and Near-Field is 4 cm (1 1/2"). Ya gotta be really close. If it's in your wallet, ya gotta sit on your dash... and that's a picture I'd rather not be forced to pry outta my head.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM
ScaldedDog
Elder User
ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.
I must be really low tech. I've got a Kenwood head unit with Garmin GPS and a Kenwood backup camera, and use my phone for Torque gauges. The pic below is of my HTC Thunderbolt, but now I use a Note 3. If I don't want to use my actual phone, I can always still use my Thunderbolt for Torque, and leave my phone free. Cheap setup, not complicated, and it just works.

Having Garmin GPS is way better than fooling with my phone for GPS, and the Kenwood/Garmin system is light years better than the OEM setup in my wife's 2013 Lexus. It's great having the speed limit show up on the GPS screen.

Anyway, here's the pic:

Mark

Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Kinda OT.....kinda
What parameters will the Torque app read on our trucks. I know it is OBD2 I am asking for specifics.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
ScaldedDog, I like that phone mount; can you use it with the new phone also?

How do you like the Note 3? It's probably going to be my next phone too since my eyes aren't what they used to be . . .

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.

Of the Buck$Zooka rounds I have, they have been designated for other things. New AC's, cab swap and related bodywork. And yes, the headunit thing needs to be addressed....damnit.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just installed this unit well a FTE member installed this unit for me along with the backup camera. Much nicer unit than I had before. It is a Xtrons unit. The Nav works well along with the Bluetooth phone. It looks much neater in the dash than the old one! Love the Android system just like using my phone!

Smokie

Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
wowthats a nice one! how much does it cost?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 AM
gcspray
Senior User
gcspray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks good Roger!

I didn't know that a double din HU would fit the dash of those trucks without doing some major surgery on the dash.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Skip! The unit was about $300 !! Charles it was a not a exat fit . I had to take a rasp and file to the top and bottom edge and shave off a little. I left it kind of tight so it is just wedged in the opening .Got it from fleabay!

Smokie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-6-2-2-DIN-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigation-CPU-1G-Bluetooth-Stereo-3G-WIFI-/221296311280?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item338649bbf0

Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM
gcspray
Senior User
gcspray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool!

You have about the same amount invested in a high end aftermarket system as I have invested in a new-old-stock OEM CD6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Dash Dilemma

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.