Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Dash Dilemma

Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
they will steal a 200$ gopro but wont steal a 10$ amazon.com backup camera.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Newsflash!

Just a head ups for you guys interested in Non-branded Chinese Android 4.1 headunit specs re backup cameras. Tarzansg just got his unit running and has posted a pic of the screen and a pdf, many pages of which are dedicated to backup cam input:

E-257AGNR Android 4.1 Double DIN Head Unit - Page 3 - xda-developers

If the button is available to you (you may have to register, IDK), please click on the "Thanks" button to encourage him to keep playing with the unit and posting his results.

IDK, if he will play with torque or not. But on page 2 (post #12) of the above thread, mcskeezy stated that torque was "plug and play" (i.e., without "rooting") with the Elm OBDII to USB hardwire dongle ("Unit works with USB OBDII ELM357 Adapter").

mcskeezy posted the URL where he bought his unit on page two of the above thread. I have asked tarzansg to post the URL where he bought his, which may be a slightly newer unit. Both are Android 4.1 Jelly Bean units.

I believe the thread which tarzansg now plans to post his results is likely this one, where it has already been stated that torque is running fine from an Elm OBDII dongle to USB port in the headunit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...e+usb&page=225

BTW, 4.1 Jelly Bean vs. 4..3 KitKat? You say tomato, I say tamatto. I say that a .3 version change does not in my experience signify an Operating System change to a new processor. In fact, I would bet donuts to dollars that a 4.1 headunit is upgradable to 4.3 (if you wanted to take that risk - for instance upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is not an upgrade on most non-touch screen computers in my opinion).

Edit: tin2001 posted this on the 2000-post link immediately above. It compares the Chinese Non-branded Android headunits:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...roid_Head_Unit

So now we just need some tech savvy FTE early adopters. Anyone want to take one for the team?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Tim...my Nexus 7 upgrades the firmware all the time...well not all the time but at least a couple times/year.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
Tim...my Nexus 7 upgrades the firmware all the time...well not all the time but at least a couple times/year.
Dan V.: Looks like you're a great candidate then!

(BTW, my wife (who owns guns) would shoot me if I spent anymore money. We currently have three house payments and until we get two of them fixed up and rented, my buckzooka is locked in the gun safe.)

Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Tim...I don't nuttin' about this stuff. Just stating the Nexus 7 asks if I wish to install firmware upgrade....yes, yes I do.

We're all going to sit back and let Rich fire off a round from the Buck$Zooka....and wait for the shrapnel to settle.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
tin2001 posted this on the 2000-post link above. It compares the Chinese Non-branded Android headunits. This is a must read before BadDogKuzz or anyone else fires off a buckzooka round thinking that they found the unit on ebay (because it looked exactly the same):

Generic Android Head Unit - XDA-Developers

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
Hey Tim...I don't nuttin' about this stuff. Just stating the Nexus 7 asks if I wish to install firmware upgrade....yes, yes I do.

We're all going to sit back and let Rich fire off a round from the Buck$Zooka....and wait for the shrapnel to settle.
......... 10-4!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Backup Camera Options 360 overhead view

Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post

The GoPro is $300 a pop, and I have never set mine up for streaming live video... so I'm unsure if it can even do it. If you get past that point, you would then need to have an intermediate device to make it stream to an iPad or Android. This is all a very expensive/complex way of doing something that is easily done with equipment design to specifically do what you ask: [LINK] You're looking for a multi-channel unit.
Not that I think it is a viable option but if you have the black edition you can use the gopro app on a phone to view what the camera is seeing.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Resolution of cameras: 640 X 480 or 720 X 480 is all you'll ever need for a backup cam. You look at it or a few seconds, then your eyes are back on the windshield. You're not going to invite the neighbors over and play a Blu-Ray of "The Back Up" on the big screen. "And you'll notice at this point, I had to turn the wheel left to get the tongue back in line. Pay no attention to that rust spot on the stinger, I've painted it since then."

Words like "Jellybean", "Honeycomb", and "Ice cream sandwich" are all just versions of the Android OS, like Windows "XP", "Vista", and "7" When you see "Kit Kat", think Windows 7

Version 4.4 Kit Kat is a new operating system for Androids. It's an odd duck, in that it's written to make the latest version being compatible with the oldest devices... so this is an opportunity for old devices to perform more and look better. This version has also streamlined the core of the system, making new fast stuff even faster. Look into "NFC" or "Beam"... it's fascinating.

I've done my homework, reviewed my goals, and made my choice - the last of the hardware will be in today. I can't say what it will truly do, because I still have to test everything. I'll post more when I have more.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 AM
caedo
Senior User
caedo has a good reputation on FTE.caedo has a good reputation on FTE.
And a light smoke rises from the muzzle.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by caedo View Post
And a light smoke rises from the muzzle.
More like a series of smoke rings.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru

Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
(One of the extractors is stuck.)

OK I will look into NFC and Beam.

Edit: OK, KitKat supports ART which permanently compiles the apps for use and eliminates "just in time" compiling thereby speeding things up but also using more storage. Storage is getting more compact and cheaper. This does seem like a big deal. More like computers.
http://theunlockr.com/how-tos/androi...pment-how-tos/

"Here's another way of thinking about Beam. Just touch your smartphone to another smartphone or tablet to transfer files, Web site links, YouTube videos, links to apps, maps and directions -- or just about anything else you can think of. Because Google's Android OS (operating system) is found on about half of smartphones sold these days, Beam is already spreading throughout the land. But here's the catch. In order to engage Beam, you need a phone with near field communication (NFC) capabilities."
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/android-beam.htm

OK, but don't I want OBD dongle (i.e., hardwire) to USB port in the headunit for wired communication of engine info to Torque Pro, DashCommand, or Car Gauge Pro anyway?

So, KitKat supports Beam, NFC and ART so it does seem like a big jump. "Aye Captain!" Thank you for taking us where no 7.3L FTE'er has gone before.
"Engage!" or more like "Scotty we need more power!" "I can't hold her together much longer, Captain!"

It is always exciting when Tugly pulls the trigger!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have NFC and it is nice I can just "flick" (swipe 2fingers up) and send my wife a pic. Or I can touch phones back to back with mine and someone who has a GS3 or GS4 and send pics that way. Also I can send anyone who has an android my Droid zap app and they can "catch" pics when I flick them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Dash Dilemma

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.