Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Dash Dilemma

Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
For me, this is purely 7.3L related.

Considering buying Torque Pro, DashCommand, or Car Gauge Pro for their OBD engine gauges and potential other abilities and running one or more of them off of that hole in the dash where my radio is currently but not losing the radio by installing just a Nexus 7 in its place which results in a loss of FM/AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 PM
dn29626
Posting Guru
dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.
Will the GoPro camera work as a back-up camera? (I saw the inventor on 60 minutes. Nice guy.) Anyone experienced with it?

Tugly---off message for a moment---your three gauge pod at lower dash. Are you thrilled with it or does it look too add-on (after market) in person?
I believe i want four guages, two for pyro, one for fuel pressure, and one for trans temp.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
BadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson View Post
For me, this is purely 7.3L related.

Considering buying Torque Pro, DashCommand, or Car Gauge Pro for their OBD engine gauges and potential other abilities and running one or more of them off of that hole in the dash where my radio is currently but not losing the radio by installing just a Nexus 7 in its place which results in a loss of FM/AM.
Tim you have made some great points here on this tread but most of it just goes over my head. You posted earlier with facts about what does what and I am lost. I am an old school guy that still uses a flip phone and don't want a smartphone or service package. So to find a head unit that has the ability to run a app like Torque Pro without a smart phone would be greatt for me ! So I too agree it is a 7.3 related.
But I am a little lost when you said you lose your FM/AM with a Nexus 7. What is Nexus 7 ?

And Rich I am glad you are bringing this subject to light. You have made some very good points and I am going to following this tread to try to get up to speed with what is out there as far as head units. But like I said earlier I want a head unit that will stand on it's own without the help of a smart phone. I too would like nothing better than to get rid of CD's and use thumb drives or SD cards. I use use only mp3 or thumb drives in my boat due the reasons you pointed out earlier. But as I look into this subject alittle I see head units that are wifi. Does the wifi mean that you can download an app like Torque Pro without a smart phone? I am just not understanding what the up side to having wifi on a head unit? It does sound cool but what can you do with it? But I think my biggest problem trying to get a head unit that will do what I want is price point. I myself am looking for entry level unit that will play music, GPS, back up camera and run an app like Torque Pro. Now I am sure you'll be shopping at the top end of the food chain as far as head units go. So any insight you can give will be helpful.

So is something like this going to be able to run Torque Pro without a smart phone. And how big a screen can we go without having to cut up the dash too much on our 99-03 trucks?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-GPS-2DIN-6-2-Car-DVD-Stereo-Player-Bluetooth-TV-3G-Wifi-Touchscreen-Map-/321283717239?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item4ace007877#ht_14100wt_1106

Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dn29626 View Post
Will the GoPro camera work as a back-up camera? (I saw the inventor on 60 minutes. Nice guy.) Anyone experienced with it.
It would take a lot of work to get it to work, and its way more camera that you need for something like that. No one needs a 1080p backup camera for a screen that is most likely 640x480 lol. Besides, there is no direct interface that would work.

You can stream to an iApple device, or an Android device, but there is no way to hard wire the camera to power while its in the case.

You could do it with enough incentive, but my advice is keep lookin lol.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have the 3200bt love the SD card. My Bluetooth DOES work well. most people can hear me. My phone used to read texts to me over the speakers until my phone updated. Needless to say we are not letting my wife's phone update . GPS from phone would be cool displayed on the head unit screen but only if wireless.
My wife has the 3400bt but does not have a SD card I guess cause hers will play music wirelessly prom her phone and mine will not.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Pitcrw6
Postmaster
Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
Technology is moving so fast its almost impossible to keep up with. The Tom Tom GPS units are going to the wasteside. Everything is going to the smartphone.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
I'll throw something new into the mix. Has anyone seen the OBDII devices from your cellular network of choice? Verizon has 2 models, a plain jane OBDII reader, and an OBDII reader that also creates a mobile hotspot around your vehicle. Both models allow you to pull codes, watch gauges, unlock, and remote start your truck.

Delphi Connect | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
But do they read our Ford-specific, non-OBD-II codes?

They may be kinda' worthless to us 7.3 guys if they don't.

Pop

Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dn29626 View Post
Will the GoPro camera work as a back-up camera? (I saw the inventor on 60 minutes. Nice guy.) Anyone experienced with it?

Tug---off message for a moment---your three gauge pod at lower dash. Are you thrilled with it or does it look too add-on (after market) in person?
I believe i want four guages, two for pyro, one for fuel pressure, and one for trans temp.
My three gauges look like they belong there. It comes in black and I bought spray paint formulated for plastic to match the dash. It is a form-fitting pod for our trucks... not a hacked "universal" unit.

I plan to make full use of the OBDII port. There are some sensors in there that cost more than a gauge set, so why not make use of them? My three gauges (when the last one arrives): Two pyros (passenger side and driver side) and a fuel pressure gauge. Everything else is already on the OBDII port.

Trey and I are shoulder-to-shoulder on the GOPRO. The output from that unit is HD digital video - the backup camera input is old-style analog. The cost to adapt the camera output to work with the head unit input would cost more than the price of a high-quality backup camera. With a screen that small, 640 pixels by 480 pixels looks as crisp as Blu-ray on an HDTV.

Backup camera: License plate mount! These things are near-invisible to the onlooker, yet they are in the perfect position to see everything - including a ball lining up with a tongue. One caveat: They don't have IR lighting or IR CCD pickups... which means they don't have the best night vision. As long as your backup lights work, the image is just fine. Anything close enough to hit is going to be well-lit. There are two price-points on these: The plastic "bargain" units (Pyle is aptly named), and the quality metal units. The metal one is really cool (Boyo): You align it at the angle that works for you, then tighten it with an Allen wrench (included in the camera kit).

Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
But do they read our Ford-specific, non-OBD-II codes?

They may be kinda' worthless to us 7.3 guys if they don't.

Pop
No, but i've never had a problem pulling codes with a generic scanner. I know there are codes that only things like an AE will pull, and I've pulled them. But when ever I was in a pinch and the truck was having issues, it has always thrown a CEL. And any code that sets the CEL can be pulled by my generic reader.

I understand that my truck being a 2002 has something to do with it.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
OBDII capabilities: This is what ties the whole topic into the 7.3L forum... because I have been such an advocate of getting some monitoring for our aging fleet. WiFi capability is an interesting development, because OBDII wireless adaptors are coming out with WiFi now. I haven't tinkered with Torque yet, but Dash Command has a setting in the App for linking through the WiFi to your vehicle. While looking through the PIDs available, the demo version is pretty lame - when compared to a scan tool. I'm doing homework on what App does what, but it's time-consuming and I have a life... and a wife.

There are so many options right now - you can use your phone to monitor the gauges, go through a head unit, use a netbook with software, or get a dedicated scan gauge/tool. I have learned you can get a 7" tablet for 70 bucks, get an OBDII Bluetooth for 20 bucks, and get the App for under ten bucks. We're talking a C-note (minus shipping and tax) to be equipped to monitor your 7.3L sensors. I have this new tablet mount in the truck... photos will be coming after I clean up the cab a bit.

To avoid the phone, the tablet, the PC, the scan gauge, and/or the Infinity... a head unit with an OBDII gauge capability (with Ford enhanced) is very attractive - in more ways than one.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
I'll throw something new into the mix. Has anyone seen the OBDII devices from your cellular network of choice? Verizon has 2 models, a plain jane OBDII reader, and an OBDII reader that also creates a mobile hotspot around your vehicle. Both models allow you to pull codes, watch gauges, unlock, and remote start your truck.
This is very cool! I think this is the type of brainstorming that Tugly envisioned when he started this thread.

But I am with BadDog, I want to keep my flip phone and I don't want a phone in the middle between my truck and the screen gauges and I don't have a data plan now and don't want one. I have to admit however that making your car a wifi hotspot is pretty cool! But knowing me I would go over the dataplan limit and pay through the nose. And at Deadwood Resevoir, ID or some of the other remote places where my wife and I travel where there is no cellular service, would we still be able to see the gauges? My car traveling experience is if there is cellular service there is a McDonalds where I can connect for the short time I want to be connected while traveling. (I travel to get away from my computer, not to be connected to it.)

A Nexus7 is like an iPad which is like a phone but bigger. And 'Kuzz its like a
phone it runs torque etc. fine, but you lose your radio. See a cool install below:

In Dash Android Nexus 7 Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

BadDog, keep the safety on your buckzooka. I haven't sourced the Andriod unit yet which will do what we want, but I will keep looking and I hope others will too.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Hodgsone...that link is what i posted in the 1st page. Now, if only an internet provider/s will take to market a/an internet source in some way, that XM/SIRIUS is for radio, then you'll have all the songs available via wifi/internet....etc, along with bluetooth to read the screened gauges.....That radio BadDog posted, would be perfect, now just need mobile internet

Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Timmyboy, I know. (Don't bust my chops!--we are both timmy's you know). I was just responding to BadDogKuzz. BTW the unit that 'Kuzz posted was the same Chinese non-branded unit that the guy on Saabcentral was selling because he was going to a "more expensive" unit. Unfortunately, he wouldn't specify the new unit he is going to. These Chinese units are quality suspect, so I wonder about his lack of response. And the lack of response to my same question on the xdadevelopers forum.

One of us may just have to buy a unit plug in an Elm dongle into the OBD and into the USB on the headunit, download torque to a computer thumb drive and install from the thumb drive to the headunit and see what works. I am not an early adopter kind of guy (i.e., cheap) so personally I want to do some more research first.

Here is a picture of BadDogKuzz's suggested unit, rooted to accept OBDII dongle (cord) to USB in the headunit and to run Torque. (Click on the thumbnail picture about one-half way down.) As you can see from the 225 screen pages on the topic, this is a hot topic, but it doesn't appear to be as easy as cookie cutter yet.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...e+usb&page=225

BTW: For you young kids: Are you Funkadelic? See Tugly's next post below. My black '77 Corvette has an 8-track. And I have a whole box of 8-track tapes which play kinda wobbly (not to mention the pregnant pauses often during mid-song when the deck shifts to complete the song on the next track).

Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Every bit of reading I do tells me one thing - our dash is the next "Holy Grail" for the electronics manufacturers. It makes sense: Everybody (that wants them) has portable devices, and our home computers are a flooded market as well. The American culture has our vehicles as a prominent feature in our lives... and this is spreading to other parts of the world. Millions and millions of cars with cassette players, CD players, 8-tracks, and plain ol' radios... itching to catch up with what's clipped to our belts or our purses.

Whatever is available now is going to be outdone in months... not years.

If you just want music, GPS, and a backup cam... there are some fine units on the market. If you're wanting Torque or some form of scan tool in your head unit... you may need to push the PAUSE button ("Safety") on your Buck$Zooka.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Dash Dilemma

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.