A visit to the machine shop... - Page 13 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

A visit to the machine shop...

Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Posting Guru

Beanscoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Beanscoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, the new style "PMGR" aka Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction starters are great.
On small block Fords, the starter has a different depth of pinion protrusion for manual vs. automatic transmissions. I would think this would also apply to the sixes.
I use stock Ford late model PMGR starters, as opposed to aftermarket since I can get them cheap at the local scrap yard.

The starter cables featured on the website look good. So many cars have really crappy stock or repaired battery cables, it's good to see a small company making top quality pieces.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Postmaster

BaronVonAutomatc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah, pretty sure the 300 and SBF starters are interchangeable assuming auto/auto or manual/manual. A j/y spare is a good thought. The new starter will allegedly be here today by 8:00 pm.

The cables are nice, a bit longer so I can snake them under the A/C and away from the exhaust would have been better, but very beefy. I highly recommend. In hand less than four days from order.

I've decided I'm done fooling with the clutch. I spent four hours plus and ran a couple quarts of brake fluid through and there are still bubbles. I'mma have a shop knock it out so I can drive the frickin' thing. I never should have changed the slave - old one had less than 5,000 miles but, "oh, while it's right there I might as well replace it."

Anyway, fresh fuel and running tomorrow. Shop Monday, driving it Tuesday. Maybe.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Posting Guru

Beanscoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Beanscoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is your clutch working enough that you can shift the gears without clashing?

I have found over the years that getting all the air out of hydraulic clutch or brake lines can be very difficult. However if you can get it to the point of being minimally functional, and then daily drive the vehicle, the air will be driven out over time.