6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Remote start good or bad idea? 2010 F250 KR SD 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan to use one of my Aux options for the seat heater and one for the heated mirrors. Just gotta get around to it...

Old 12-29-2013, 03:20 PM
TIRE FRYER
Senior User
Had the ford remote start. Hated it. No range and too many key forbs on the remote. Got the top of the line viper remote start, can start from 2000 ft away now. The one I recommend hands down.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
How is it great for thieves?
anytime a wireless device is used to start a vehicle, all information regarding security related programming is transmitted as well. the semi-pros use a readily available software program that can operate off a notebook, tablet,, etc and simply observe from a distance your vehicle let's say in the morning when you are getting ready to go to work.....and download all the info.

Then when they want to, they simply via remote means unlock your vehicle, start it, and (yes mfg a key) and simply drive your vehicle away for stripping or re-sale overseas/out of the country....an especially popular option in Mexico.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm not a fan of remote starts at all. The most inefficient way to warm up an engine, be it gas or diesel, is to idle it. And on a diesel it takes FOREVER. By using a remote start you maximize the amount of time the engine spends running cold, and that's not good for it.

Bundle up, use your block heater, save some fuel, and treat your engine right.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree to a point, mine runs a minimal amount, bascally to get everything lubed and slightly warm. Oil needs a chance to do its job and in the cold it takes a tad longer. But anything more than a couple of minutes is a waste.
A remote doesn't maximize how long a engine spends running cold, the person who pushed the button is.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Beechkid
anytime a wireless device is used to start a vehicle, all information regarding security related programming is transmitted as well. the semi-pros use a readily available software program that can operate off a notebook, tablet,, etc and simply observe from a distance your vehicle let's say in the morning when you are getting ready to go to work.....and download all the info.

Then when they want to, they simply via remote means unlock your vehicle, start it, and (yes mfg a key) and simply drive your vehicle away for stripping or re-sale overseas/out of the country....an especially popular option in Mexico.
Although I agree with the abilities......better just not leave the house, ever. This is what insurance is for. If a thief wants your ****, theyll take your ****...

Originally Posted by Tom
I'm not a fan of remote starts at all. The most inefficient way to warm up an engine, be it gas or diesel, is to idle it. And on a diesel it takes FOREVER. By using a remote start you maximize the amount of time the engine spends running cold, and that's not good for it.

Bundle up, use your block heater, save some fuel, and treat your engine right.
May be inefficient but it works. ( to a certain degree). Its 5 or 10 or 15 less mins I have to sit in a truck when its -30c. And sometimes (quite often) its pretty dangerous to just get in and go, for me/other people & the truck itself. Cant drive when ya cant see through the windows.

Originally Posted by bubbasz1
I disagree to a point, mine runs a minimal amount, bascally to get everything lubed and slightly warm. Oil needs a chance to do its job and in the cold it takes a tad longer. But anything more than a couple of minutes is a waste.
A remote doesn't maximize how long a engine spends running cold, the person who pushed the button is.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not quite. Someone has been watching too many Nicholas Cage movies lately.

The idea of "security programming" is NOT transmitted. When a remote start signal is sent, it is sent to the controlling device that operates the remote start system, not to the vehicle system.

It is a DIFFERENT frequency and signal than what is used to unlock the doors, etc. It even operates on a completely separate antenna than say the factory keyless entry.

In addition, the PATS system itself is another obstacle entirely.

What actually CAN be a real threat for vehicle owners is how some aftermarket remote start systems override or interface with Ford's PATS system. For example, some systems are installed with a cut and programmed key hidden in the steering column so that the PATS is happy with a valid signal to allow the vehicle to start. If a thief knows their remote start systems, they can simply smash a window, hop in, rip apart the steering shroud cover, grab the programmed key, and start the truck..... all without setting off the factory perimeter alarm.

FWIW the Ford branded remote start systems available for these model trucks comes with a PATS interface kit that integrates into the remote start without having to hide a key, and can be programmed with a diesel timer up to 30 seconds. 2011 model year and newer get the plug and play systems, which are really nice.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I have a system that can easily hack wireless data like remote starts and such, although that is not it's primary purpose, and I certainly don't steal anything, lol.
But, it is getting more common, and certainly isn't expensive or hard to do.
The encryption used on the vehicles systems is lacking compared to the readily available software and hardware.

That being said, it should be noted that my thinking is simple; if they want it bad enough, they will steal it, no matter what precautions you take.
There was recently a thief in our area that was hacking remote lock signals, unlocking cars, and stealing Christmas gifts. I still use my wireless lock remote, what ya gonna do?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM
mcordovilla
Freshman User
Thanks for all the replies and comments! I am a firm believer that locks are only there to keep the honest people honest and a thief will do anything and everything steal the vehicle if they want it bad enough!

It sounds like after market Viper is mostly recommended and finding a qualified shop to install. I had a viper before and had very good luck with it but that was on an 84 so its been a while.
Thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Pocket
Not quite. Someone has been watching too many Nicholas Cage movies lately.

The idea of "security programming" is NOT transmitted. When a remote start signal is sent, it is sent to the controlling device that operates the remote start system, not to the vehicle system.

It is a DIFFERENT frequency and signal than what is used to unlock the doors, etc. It even operates on a completely separate antenna than say the factory keyless entry.

In addition, the PATS system itself is another obstacle entirely.

What actually CAN be a real threat for vehicle owners is how some aftermarket remote start systems override or interface with Ford's PATS system. For example, some systems are installed with a cut and programmed key hidden in the steering column so that the PATS is happy with a valid signal to allow the vehicle to start. If a thief knows their remote start systems, they can simply smash a window, hop in, rip apart the steering shroud cover, grab the programmed key, and start the truck..... all without setting off the factory perimeter alarm.

FWIW the Ford branded remote start systems available for these model trucks comes with a PATS interface kit that integrates into the remote start without having to hide a key, and can be programmed with a diesel timer up to 30 seconds. 2011 model year and newer get the plug and play systems, which are really nice.
This is actually my professional business......
as an example...some of the new credit cards have a wireless scanning device for retailer use...for about $150 on ebay, you can purchase a mobile scanner...one that will fit easily into a purse, with self- initiative it can be reduced to fit in a jacket pocket.....I only have to walk within 12-18" of your person to scan your credit card. Now I can take even a hotel e-card key, and program that with all of your info...it is now a live, active credit card...the entire process from info retainment to cc creation takes less than 10 minutes...all done in a mall with no one knowing the wiser.

so lets talk about the cars PATS, remote locks and wireless start. Without going into detail.....
1. Remote lock jamming/scanning devices are readily available and sell for about $50....when you go to lock your car remotely, the jammer stops the locking actuator (yet you hear what you think is your car doors being locked), the security information is scanned, the door is unlocked, with another "tool', a temp key is made typically in under 10 minutes...the thief can simply walk up to the unlocked door, insert the "temp" key, start the car & drive away. The remote start provides similar type access that is essentially "tapped" into when the vehicle starts.

My, our cyber team and law enforcement nationwide in publicized documents all advise, during the holidays especially, never lock your vehicle remotely in a public setting.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is actually my professional business......
as an example...some of the new credit cards have a wireless scanning device for retailer use...for about $150 on ebay, you can purchase a mobile scanner...one that will fit easily into a purse, with self- initiative it can be reduced to fit in a jacket pocket.....I only have to walk within 12-18" of your person to scan your credit card. Now I can take even a hotel e-card key, and program that with all of your info...it is now a live, active credit card...the entire process from info retainment to cc creation takes less than 10 minutes...all done in a mall with no one knowing the wiser.

so lets talk about the cars PATS, remote locks and wireless start. Without going into detail.....
1. Remote lock jamming/scanning devices are readily available and sell for about $50....when you go to lock your car remotely, the jammer stops the locking actuator (yet you hear what you think is your car doors being locked), the security information is scanned, the door is unlocked, with another "tool', a temp key is made typically in under 10 minutes...the thief can simply walk up to the unlocked door, insert the "temp" key, start the car & drive away. The remote start provides similar type access that is essentially "tapped" into when the vehicle starts.

My, our cyber team and law enforcement nationwide in publicized documents all advise, during the holidays especially, never lock your vehicle remotely in a public setting.
I also deal with remote starts every single day.

The signal sent by the remote start is completely different than what is transmitted to lock or unlock the doors, because it's completely different hardware, antennas, etc.

I understand exactly what you are talking about regarding scanning frequencies, hacking credit cards and vehicle unlock signals, but what you have to realize is that you are talking about completely separate signals when you are talking about remote starts. A remote start system doesn't automatically leave your vehicle open to theft by a scan tool. It just means they can duplicate the signal to remote start the car. You still can't drive off with it. Go remote start any car and try to drive off. When you try to put it in gear or touch the brakes, the vehicle engine stops..... assuming it's installed correctly of course.

I'm simply trying to relay the correct info so that people know what they are dealing with on remote starts.

Older vehicles may integrate remote starts and vehicle security (including lock/unlock) all from the same controller. This is typical on vehicles that were not equipped originally with factory keyless entry. Most vehicles now a days come equipped with keyless entry, so remote start systems today are a separate function with their own independent input, FOB, antenna, etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:27 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
A remote start system doesn't automatically leave your vehicle open to theft by a scan tool. It just means they can duplicate the signal to remote start the car. You still can't drive off with it. Go remote start any car and try to drive off. When you try to put it in gear or touch the brakes, the vehicle engine stops..... assuming it's installed correctly of course.
I believe you are correct, there is no wireless way to hack a vehicle into "run mode", only to start, unlock, etc. Once unlocked though, someone could potentially re-wire anything they wanted.
Should be said though, these types of thefts are rare, it's not something that is really a potential threat to most.
You actually have to be a bit smart to hack radio signals, so most low end thieving *******s are not going to be running this equipment.
You can buy camera video surveillance systems for vehicles, some even have hidden cameras.
Under 200$ can get you a "dash cam", which might be handy in the event of accidents for insurance. Very popular is russia.

Maybe in the future, vehicles could unlock and operate using facial recognition, and an unknown face would get sent to your phone so you could activate the user using a code.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Beechkid
I also deal with remote starts every single day.

The signal sent by the remote start is completely different than what is transmitted to lock or unlock the doors, because it's completely different hardware, antennas, etc.

I understand exactly what you are talking about regarding scanning frequencies, hacking credit cards and vehicle unlock signals, but what you have to realize is that you are talking about completely separate signals when you are talking about remote starts. A remote start system doesn't automatically leave your vehicle open to theft by a scan tool. It just means they can duplicate the signal to remote start the car. You still can't drive off with it. Go remote start any car and try to drive off. When you try to put it in gear or touch the brakes, the vehicle engine stops..... assuming it's installed correctly of course.

I'm simply trying to relay the correct info so that people know what they are dealing with on remote starts.

Older vehicles may integrate remote starts and vehicle security (including lock/unlock) all from the same controller. This is typical on vehicles that were not equipped originally with factory keyless entry. Most vehicles now a days come equipped with keyless entry, so remote start systems today are a separate function with their own independent input, FOB, antenna, etc.
You are right & thank you for the clarification....through a couple of devices, a modern vehicles system can be actuated just as if you had the "keys" (so to speak)

Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by parkland
Should be said though, these types of thefts are rare, it's not something that is really a potential threat to most..
Actually the most common method to steal items from within a vehicle (typically at shopping centers) or to steal a vehicle....next to flatbedding.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Actually the most common method to steal items from within a vehicle (typically at shopping centers) or to steal a vehicle....next to flatbedding.
Oh sure, but I mean high tech crimes are still rare. Thank god. lol.