6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 F250 Radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by apd966
Plus, retune the PCM and ECM.

What re-tune are they planning on?

Trans flash?
Have a problem with your trans now?

If no problem you might want to read up here and consider having the dealer NOT do the trans flash.

There are plenty here who ended up with no original problem before the flash and a significant fuel mileage drop after.

For me, when towing, my mileage went from an average of 11.5-12 to 9-9.5

And that just plain sucks.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
My 2011 failed in the same place.

It failed at about 40,000 miles but I drove with it leaking for a long time.

No help from ford..... Nice part is they charge a premium $ for a chitty radiator. Hopefully there will be a better option next time it fails. Mishimoto will eventually have an all aluminum one.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
My 2011 failed in the same place.

It failed at about 40,000 miles but I drove with it leaking for a long time.

No help from ford..... Nice part is they charge a premium $ for a chitty radiator. Hopefully there will be a better option next time it fails. Mishimoto will eventually have an all aluminum one.
That would be nice, but they should be designing both the primary and secondary radiator. Both have to be pulled to replace the primary anyway.

As a side note, when mine was just replaced last week, they didnt fully bleed the system, and a couple days later the primary tank was empty. took a full half gallon before it stopped dropping.

then, the rubber hood seal on the top of the radiator had many broken clips on it, as well as the rubber "scoup" behind the bumper was half off too.

Lastly, they have to remove the A/C condensor to do the repair, and either the technician forgot to recharge the system, or there is a leak. Pretty sure the A/C not working, since my windows are fogging up like crazy where they didnt use to.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:30 AM
apd966
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Duane , I had a TSB on the trans. and it was giving my bad shifts in low gear shifts, jerking, gear searching. also the TCM is part of the ECM issue, so both get re-flashed. But will watch my mileage fore sure when I get it back later this week.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Duane , I had a TSB on the trans. and it was giving my bad shifts in low gear shifts, jerking, gear searching. also the TCM is part of the ECM issue, so both get re-flashed. But will watch my mileage fore sure when I get it back later this week.
I had no issues with the trans, which is why I stated whenever I was in for service, no trans flash!

The one time I forget to mention it - "hey we did an upgrade for ya"

Hope you have a better result. A 20-25% decrease in fuel economy really sucks when you only get 10 or so to begin with.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey folks,

Let me know if you're headed in to the dealership for a radiator repair/replacement so I can check out ways to assist. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer; we'll go from there.

Crystal

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
apd966
5th Wheeling
Crystal, truck been in shop, they called me a few days ago, will need a new radiator, and they will re-flash TCM and PCM. hoping to get it back tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crystal, truck been in shop, they called me a few days ago, will need a new radiator, and they will re-flash TCM and PCM. hoping to get it back tomorrow.
Thanks for the update, apd966. Let us know when you bring it home.

Crystal

Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by djousma
That would be nice, but they should be designing both the primary and secondary radiator. Both have to be pulled to replace the primary anyway.

As a side note, when mine was just replaced last week, they didnt fully bleed the system, and a couple days later the primary tank was empty. took a full half gallon before it stopped dropping.

then, the rubber hood seal on the top of the radiator had many broken clips on it, as well as the rubber "scoup" behind the bumper was half off too.

Lastly, they have to remove the A/C condensor to do the repair, and either the technician forgot to recharge the system, or there is a leak. Pretty sure the A/C not working, since my windows are fogging up like crazy where they didnt use to.
I have not heard of a secondary leaking..... yet.

That's a good tip about bleeding the system. It's really hard. I just changed my coolant... twice. Once for rad and once for turbo. Both times NADP bled it and took it for a drive and topped it up. Both times I still ended up putting in a 1/2 gallon over the next couple of days. So... anyway... check your coolant after rad replacement.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
hunting-bob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called the dealer and they haven't even looked at it yet. Hope they let meknow about something before the weekend. Need it for work Monday so I can drive460 miles to work at CAT for the week. <o></o>

<o></o>

Crystal I'm not a tech-no guy. How do I send you the information you asked for? Not sure what PM means, to me its preventive maintenance. <o></o>

<o></o>

Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
apd966
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by hunting-bob
Called the dealer and they haven't even looked at it yet. Hope they let meknow about something before the weekend. Need it for work Monday so I can drive460 miles to work at CAT for the week. <o></o>

<o></o>

Crystal I'm not a tech-no guy. How do I send you the information you asked for? Not sure what PM means, to me its preventive maintenance. <o></o>

<o></o>
Pm is Private Message. I too do not know how to PM her or anyone.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:33 PM
hunting-bob
New User
Just got the call from the dealer. It's the radiator and they want 1730 bucks to replace it. Looks like I'll be adding fluid as I go. I found out what PM means too. I haven't been here long enough to get that option I guess. Lived in the dark ages too long.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by hunting-bob
Just got the call from the dealer. It's the radiator and they want 1730 bucks to replace it. Looks like I'll be adding fluid as I go. I found out what PM means too. I haven't been here long enough to get that option I guess. Lived in the dark ages too long.
I drove with mine leaking for about 30,000 miles. I was trying to hold out until something better was available. It hurts to pay so much for something so poor quality.........

Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM
hunting-bob
New User
This is true. I'll just keep a bottle of mixed coolant in the truck with me and I'll keep filling it until I have to fix it. I called FORD and got a case number, but I'm not holding my breath. I drive a lot for work and hitting 36K miles can happen in less than a year for me. My 08 F150 had an alternator go out at 50K just over a year on the road and that cost me 400 bucks. I thought that was bad, but this is just out right painful. Waited years to buy the truck I've always wanted and now this. Oh well. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM
hunting-bob
New User
apd966, Did you get your truck back yet? The dealer that mine was at had them in stock and said it was listed as a 8 hours job. The fact that they had them in stock shows me something.

Quick Reply: 2012 F250 Radiator leak