1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Dual Zone Climate Control in 2012 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
You're right, but of course nav is optional in the Lariat's too. (granted, only about a $900 option, so I'm paying $5-600 more for the privilege).

My XLT truck stickered for basically $44k. A Lariat with just the basic adders that mine had would be about 4k more dollars. So far, I've added fog lamps, auto headlamps, auto-dimming mirror, Homelink, dual-zone climate control, wood interior trim, and now the nav. The Lariat really only offers a few more amenities not found on mine now but at a cost of about 5k more (factoring the navi). So I'm well under the 5k figure, but it might be similar by the time its all said and done. Might be a hair more. But if you can make an XLT a Lariat, and 'pay as you go' with less initial debt obligation, that works for me. I was satisfied with my truck the way it was new, but I have a habit of upgrading my mid-level cars to a higher trim line as I go as much as possible...with the only goal being to keep everything exactly stock.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah that's not true at all. Buying a lariat wouldn't have been cheaper. My trucks ticketed for 49K as an XLT. The additions I plan to make bump it up what another 7 or 8 thousand. Could I have waited until the perfect time to get a super cheap truck like a lariat that cost as much as my XLT? Yeah but I didn't want to wait nor did I have that luxury. Plus like stated above I take pride in knowing how to work on my truck and do upgrades that even Ford isn't sure can be done. I think the next couple of upgrades are tuner exhaust egr delete(on the way) up fitter switches and the bezel trim. I have the ford service manual for the actuator but haven't felt like diving back in to it.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 PM
CKetchum
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2008 XLT and would love to swap out my Manual HVAC controls for the Automatic HVAC (Dual Zone) Controls!

Does anyone know if it's this easy on a 2008-2010 model year? Or is there something different on my model year truck that would keep me from doing this?

Thanks for any input!

Clint

Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 AM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers Gents! I have been looking to get rid of all that blank plastic between the two controls on my XLT. I only have one question. Can I just set the passenger side temp control to mimic the driver side without having to manipulate it? Oh, also, I have heated mirrors and a heated rear slider, the automatic climate control takes care of that too, correct? Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I know the 2008-10 trucks used a different auto-climate control system. I'd bet it would work, though. I think it might be the same as the one in the Expedition.

bikerman, you can choose "dual" or single climate mode. I just leave mine in single-zone mode, in which the driver's dial controls the temp for the whole cabin. However, the dial temperature adjusters make it super easy to make big temp changes quickly...unlike push-button systems.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 AM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I know the 2008-10 trucks used a different auto-climate control system. I'd bet it would work, though. I think it might be the same as the one in the Expedition.

bikerman, you can choose "dual" or single climate mode. I just leave mine in single-zone mode, in which the driver's dial controls the temp for the whole cabin. However, the dial temperature adjusters make it super easy to make big temp changes quickly...unlike push-button systems.
Thanks a bunch. I just finished ordering mine. And when I get back to it, I'll get it installed. Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
mkorte
New User
Change over

Originally Posted by cpufed
I replaced the manual climate control module on my 2011 F350 with the auto climate control module. Everything fit perfectly including the plug and everything works except the dual control option. But I didn't really need that anyway.
I have been told by salvage yards and ford that you have to add a bunch of other items. You made this work by just swapping head units???

Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM
mkorte
New User
Did this really work???? salvage yards and dealer says no have to change a bunch of stuff out.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Big Vic
Senior User
Partially works

Depending on which dual climate control unit you get, it will only allow you to set a temp (I believe with the passenger side control) for both sides of the truck at once. I do not think the driver side control works for this install...the difficult part if you want full dual function is adding a second actuator door and the electric harness that controls it. That is difficult to access and parts are an additional cost.

If all you want is to be able to automatically control the temp for both sides simultaneously, I think it works and is plug and play.

You also need to make sure that you buy the right climate control unit for your truck (e.g., heated mirrors/rear window) there are many different units with different features.

I thought about doing this, but the expense and pulling apart the dash was not worth it for me.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM
mkorte
New User
Originally Posted by cpufed
I replaced the manual climate control module on my 2011 F350 with the auto climate control module. Everything fit perfectly including the plug and everything works except the dual control option. But I didn't really need that anyway.
Originally Posted by mkorte
Did this really work???? salvage yards and dealer says no have to change a bunch of stuff out.
cpufed that is awesome do you know of anymore head units like you installed?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Use the part number I gave above. First, the unit is PLUG AND PLAY no matter what unit you get. The features that won't work unless you add other stuff is the dual zone(the drivers side controls both sides), Heated and cooled seats. On the higher model trucks the rear window defrost will control the rear window and the side mirrors, so it will work with just the one button.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Just to confirm, yes, it works fine. There is a mode selector button on the climate head which changes between dual and single zones. Just set it to single zone, and it works normally. If you do use the dual, the system ends up trying to create an average temperature between the two settings. This is a great upgrade to do. As far as the different climate heads, I believe your choices are either heated mirrors only or combined mirrors and rear window defrost; as well as heated / cooled seats or no seat controls. I accidentally ordered a new head which had the rear window defroster button, but this also still heats my mirrors, so no issue there. Some people (like Tofan) preferred to get a head with more features than their truck currently has, to enable future upgrades. Either way, you can't go wrong.

There are a couple of things to note: one, you will gain a second outside temp display on the climate head. It will not always match the one in your message center display; mine varies up to 2 degrees in either direction. The other thing to note is that trucks which came with the auto climate system from the factory use an in-cabin temp sensor. It is located behind a small grille just to the right of the steering wheel. Our trucks have the grille but nothing behind it. Without this sensor, the system has to guess the interior temperature and deliver hot or cold air at a volume it thinks might be appropriate. Therefore, even though the system generally works OK on auto, it will not work as effectively as an OEM system. I am looking into seeing if I can acquire this sensor and how it connects. Right now, I am using the location as the spot to hide the Sync mic.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:26 PM
L_R_G
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doing some quick looking around on the web I found part #YH-1736 that appears it might be the ambient air temperature sensor.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thanks to everyone for their work in figuring out how to do this mod so far, I'm looking forward to doing it myself.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I'm not sure of the part number but I am curious as to what you've found. What I discovered is possibly the wiring connection to the temp sensor...it is a multiplug which is connected to a blank receptacle located behind the black popout panel just about at the driver's right knee. Anyone able to confirm this as well?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM
cpufed
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm not sure of the part number but I am curious as to what you've found. What I discovered is possibly the wiring connection to the temp sensor...it is a multiplug which is connected to a blank receptacle located behind the black popout panel just about at the driver's right knee. Anyone able to confirm this as well?

Any updates on this part? Also @ Troverman, you mentioned you added Homelink.. Was that with the sunvisor upgrade and was the wiring harness already in the headliner for the XLT?

Quick Reply: Install Dual Zone Climate Control in 2012 XLT?