Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Degas bottle empty, very scared...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I just picked up my new reman water pump and have a few questions....

Can I use silicone seal on the wp gasket? can I use it on the metal hose piece (the one under the thermostat - it's larger and it has an o-ring but I am reusing the housing and thought I could use silicone to help seal.

Do you know what the torque specs are for the water pump housing bolts? Do I use antisieze on them? They were not that tight so I think I could easily over tighten them.

Thanks guys and wish me luck tonight on this project......

TAILGATE.... Thx for your comments about the filter, I was always sort of "eh" about them but have had it installed a few months and noticed the slow trickle through it so now I am excited to cut it open, will insert a new one now - super thanks.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mowing Man
Funny! I always figured there were $20's or even $50's shooting outta there! Must a been a minor repair on that problem, lol.
I'll quote myself from the last time this question was brought up. "Silly.... The bacon is under the hood... that's the splatter."

Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
I'll wager you're leaking around the water pump or thermostat housing.
With the 2 waterpumps I replaced, I ended up replacing the thermostat housings within a week afterwards. Next time I'm going to change the housing with the water pump. BTW, the new thermostats have a rubber o-ring that covers the edge of the thermostat. Much better the original design. Also, don't go crazy torquing the t-stat housing bolts.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
No to the silicone. Get a new t-stat and housing. Don't know the torque specs. Sorry.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:37 AM
jwhopson
Tuned

Need HELP Fellas. The lower inlet tube that mates up to the wp just below the thermostat (I think it might be called wp connector or something like that)- is leaking. I did put the oring back on, but it was pretty weak oring. I know you said no silicone but I along with Napa, Autozone, Ford seems to have an issue of trying to find this tube to buy - apparently it doesn't come with the remand wp but does come with the new wp's. So, my dilemma is, if I disassemble the two bolts holding it on and the oring is OK, can I use silicone in that spot?

Because I am at a loss of what to do - this was an area where I felt the bolts bottomed out and the surfaces were mated but it just didn't feel like they sealed - apparently not .

Any help is appreciated on the Merry Christmas Eve.... ::

Old 12-24-2013, 12:09 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd use silicone. That's a notorious spot for leaks and the only reason that removable elbow is on there is so you can remove the oil cooler without pulling the water pump.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:34 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 on high heat silacone bottom elbow,but was no need for the thermostat neck at top with a billet aluminum unit from Diesel Site.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Didn't think about that elbow. I bought new pumps that had the elbow already on them. The silicone usage I was referring to was for the pump mounting on the block and the t-housing. Didn't know about the intake elbow.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

My better half always laughs at how I don't take action until checking with FTE members first, but I rarely ask her for permission .

OK - thanks, I guess I was just overly concerned about silicone usage. I suspect there are some other areas that will leak but have not been able to really charge up the system until this gets resolved. A few xmas errands first (or I won't have a better half) and then back to the truck.

thank you fellas for the quick response, will start back at it around 1pm.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Double post.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by jwhopson
My better half always laughs at how I don't take action until checking with FTE members first, but I rarely ask her for permission .
Ha...I've never thought about that, but that can probably be said for a lot of us (at least myself included).

Anyway, if you are buying silicone for sealant, some of the best stuff I've ever used is the gasket maker stuff. ON EDIT: It's the Permatex "The Right Stuff Gasket Maker." It's about $15 for a can, but you can use it for your rear differential and just about anything else. The longer you let it cure before installing on something, the more gasket-like it becomes. And the can will last forever. I will say it's probably overkill for what you're using it for though...but...

Old 12-26-2013, 09:10 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

I just wanted to close the loop without jinxing it. IT WORKS, no leaks , thank you everyone. I have let it idle, ran it sort a hard and watched the coolant level and so far everything looks great. Thank you!!!

Tailgate - I replaced my coolant filter and WOW it just squirts into the degas bottle, I had forgot what a non-clogged filter works . I am excited to cut my old one apart to see how bad it is.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Glad she's back together with no leaks! Thanks for posting the results.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhopson
I am excited to cut my old one apart to see how bad it is.
Others here are equally interested in your results.

I have never even heard of a coolant filter that's completely clogged, so I am standing by for your results!

I'm suspecting it will be "ugly", but revealing!

Oh yeah, one more thing.........

Pop

Old 12-27-2013, 04:32 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by SpringerPop

I have never even heard of a coolant filter that's completely clogged,

Pop
I have only seen one completely clogged and it was mine. Failed oil cooler and the only symptom I had was the coolant filter quit flowing.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Degas bottle empty, very scared...