1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think winning that kind of money would be as good as everyone thinks , Sure having enough cash to buy what ever you wanted , sounds great , But if you had everything you wanted , would you really treasure those things you love so much now . I get more pleasure knowing the things I have , I worked for , or made myself . Then think of the headaches , What would you do with the check , go into your local bank and deposit $300.00000 .Think about the time you would spend with lawyers , accountants , insurance agents, charity offers , con men , greeaty relative's , security company's . every kind of salesman , Your life would change and you would never have any real peace and quiet .

Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 AM
greenmachine55
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pay off all my bills and retire.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go out and get this and have the Snap On man come by,

With one of these

Then I would have a talk with Ross and Ray and the three of us could be called
The Three Wreanchatears traveling around the world helping fellow FTE 's on all there old trucks !!!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm already retired so I guess the first thing I'd do is make every member of my family millionaires. I don't have any bills to speak of so I guess I'd sell my 4 and 10 year old cars (maybe even give them away) and buy a couple of new cars. Sell my 40+ year old house and buy something nicer and newer on a large piece of land. Build a couple of garages, size to be determined later; one to work in and one to store cars in. Buy a couple of nice finished street rods like a 32 Ford and a 55 or 56 Ford Crown Vic or something like that. Get one of those big traveling bus type campers like the NASCAR drivers travel in, hire a professional driver, and start a trip around the country. When I got back I'd start looking at what charities I could help out locally and have lots of fun spending money every day...

Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
I don't think winning that kind of money would be as good as everyone thinks , Sure having enough cash to buy what ever you wanted , sounds great , But if you had everything you wanted , would you really treasure those things you love so much now . I get more pleasure knowing the things I have , I worked for , or made myself . Then think of the headaches , What would you do with the check , go into your local bank and deposit $300.00000 .Think about the time you would spend with lawyers , accountants , insurance agents, charity offers , con men , greeaty relative's , security company's . every kind of salesman , Your life would change and you would never have any real peace and quiet .
There's a whole lot of truth in what you said. I agree. Life would get really complicated. But don't get me wrong, I think I could figure out what to do with the money. I'd obviously pay off all my bills, and Truckstockland would become my home base instead of my permanent home. And then I'd probably let my wife and kids decide where they wanted to live and go to school. I would probably continue to work at least part-time, and have some fun with it. I fantasize about coming to work knowing that I don't have to be here. Otherwise, I'd probably invest some of that money conservatively into something that will provide a steady income for my descendants. And the handful of "true" friends that I have now would continue to be my friends (including you guys), and I wouldn't allow anybody else into my life. As far as a "charity", I would choose that very wisely. I'm thinking something like a miniature recreation of some sort of program like the WPA, but local. Then I could confront all the lazy people and say "If you want to better your life, here's a pair of work boots." No free handouts.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do all the shop/truck stuff already mentioned. Plus of course be sure the familymembers got a million or so each. (I say I'm an only child with 3 brothers and 2 brother in laws.) The Wounded Warrior program would get a big big donation along with St Jude's hosp. (if I couldn't help those two groups I don't think I would enjoy the rest) and our church. Then a party - maybe FAT FENDER TRUCK meet & greet -- with all the FTE guys and gals - they would have to say what part they really needed but didn't have the budget for in order to come. Then I would just have fun making other people happy by giving them something they want or need for the fat fender. Wishful thinking but what the heck.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
different house, more room, nice garage of course. For wheeled acquisitions i would buy the best unrestored originals i could find. f1, f100, 39 ford coupe, maybe a 40 pickup?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
I am already retired, have a great house and shop so I guess not much would change. I would hire the kids to manage the money, pay them very very well, trust fund for the grand kids and then I would use a good portion to influence some elections so that we could get rid of some of the garbage that we have now.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like some others I'm already retired and am happy in the ares I live, want a ranch style home now so would definately build now instead of waiting for this one to sell. I might add on to my garage for room enough to get everything inside. I can't imagine what changes that kind of money would bring but I know I would donate to the churches in the area. There are so many older people that are really hurting, just trying to survive, I think helping people without them knowing where it is coming from would really help my heart . As someone said St. Jude Hospitol and Childrens in Cincinnati would be on my list as they have saved my family members at Childrens. Do some traveling to visit alot of FTE'ers that otherwise would never get to meet, I can't imagine being able to do that, only Doc and Rob have the power to bring folks together for the greatest times I have enjoyed. JUST ENJOY IT, Garry

Old 12-19-2013, 11:01 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1- Fix up family with money . 2- Donate to my favorite charities . 3 - Build Pat the house she always wanted on the Farm at Iffley Saskatchewan I get a big shop (mechanical,paint&body,machine & welding) Pat gets a barn and the herd of Clydsdales she loves . 4 - hire staff and travel a little . That should about do it .

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I think about this often. Actually a lot more often than I actually buy a ticket.

If we won the big one, I would immediately quit my job. While I'm close to retirement already, I would not hesitate to start early if I didn't need the money.

I'm not big on giving to family members more than they deserve, but I'd make sure they had their houses paid off. After that, they're on their own.

We have lots of travel plans for retirement, so they could begin earlier.

I would have a professional paint and body shop finish Betsy. Then, I'd buy an empty warehouse for her and all the new projects I'd be able to start. I would like to have another '70 Camaro (I totaled one while in the service), a '65 F100 like my dad had, a '50s Ford panel and some others. And I could turn the warehouse into a shop with a lift, heat and A/C.

We were involved in the Boy Scouts for over 20 years, and I would donate money to our favorite camp, to be used ONLY for the camp to keep the Council's thieving hands off it.

Lots of other charities are worthy of help. But, I guess I have to buy a ticket...

Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd probably just keep on buying old truck parts until the money was gone. That plan already worked for me once, why not do it again.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Been thinking about this all day, THANKS BOB!.......

I honestly am pretty happy with my life and wouldn't want it to change too much, maybe remodel my old farm house and hire someone to help out around the place. And put my son through college.

I'd actually give much of the money away to folks that need some help........no way I could spend that much anyway.

I honestly think a huge amount of money all at once would be a huge burden. I don't play the lottery, so I guess I'll never know...

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
sam03
Junior User
I would pay off debt and any family or friends debt. Than the fun would begin. I would build a badass Hotrod Shop, buy a huge Hunting Ranch, travel the world, Buy 100s of cars and trucks etc

Old 12-19-2013, 02:12 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Move to Switzerland.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you do if you won the lottery?