6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Am I getting this right (been away for a while)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I getting this right (been away for a while)?

I haven't been around the forum in quite a long time but I see that it looks like a LOT more folks now have 6.2s, are towing heavy, and most importantly, are reporting how things are going. Great to see and I'd like to thank each and every one of you guys for doing so. It really means a lot to those of us thinking about coming back to the gas side of the house.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me the gear ratio posts are VERY helpful, especially since it's impossible for a potential buyer to find a 4:30 to test-drive. You guys' posts make it so one isn't jumping off a cliff completely blind (kind of like when I bought my 6.0 with a manual trans). Appreciate that! The only thing that bums me out reference the 4:30 is having to order a truck... never done that and probably never would until this situation, seems like a PITA, especially at these big innercity dealerships I'm stuck being around (I can't stand them). From what I've read here on the forum there's no way I'd get a 6.2 without 4:30 (based on my geographic area and what I tow).

Gas mileage posts comparing empty to towing are especially helpful for someone in my shoes. Thanks for those who post their real-world #s!

I've waffled back and forth a lot in the past couple of years but at this point I'm 99.9% sure I'll end up going gasser. My 6.0 has been trouble free but when I do the math a new diesel just flat out doesn't make any sense (based on my personal needs). If I have to crest these big West Coast grades 5mph slower than with a diesel, well so be it. Everything else aside, the DEF situation was the final straw that broke my proverbial camel's back... I don't want/need that hassle or expense.

So, I've read a bunch of posts today trying to get caught up but if you guys could get me a 'Reader's Digest' update/sanity check on the following I'd really be happy:

- Any solid word (insider etc) that an exterior redesign on the SD's is coming soon? I really despise the current front end and as far as the dually (still toying with the idea of a dually), the rounded wheel well look is atrocious. (This is part of the reason I've been holding off on pulling the trigger on a new truck).

- I know this has been beaten to death, but what % chance to do you guys see the valve setup will be changed soon i.e. going to a 3-valve, 4-valve, etc (not a show-stopper but am curious about the real-world chances that change is upon us).

- Is the NAV/Sync system really worth the $? I've been all over the country and pretty much know how to get around, I actually enjoy old-school road atlases, & I have a smart phone if I need some chick (other than my wife) to tell me where to go. I do like to know what the outside temp is and I appreciate 'home link' equipped vehicles so maybe I'm stuck having to get it all in a package. However, I am toying with the idea of going for a bit more toned down truck (maybe another XLT) instead of paying top $ for a lot of bells & whistles (my truck is nowhere near a daily driver, it basically gets used to tow my 5ver and a handful of other odd household tasks throughout the year).

- I'm still grappling with 4x2 or 4x4 and grappling with dually vs SRW. I can technically get away without a dually but the allure is there. As of right now I have basically zero NEED for a 4x4 but there's part of me that worries I'd be pissed if I ever needed 4x4 and didn't have it. Ah, choices are a biotch sometimes.

Thanks for everyone's time and contributions to making the site a great resource!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Right now I can't say anything about solo truck miles because we don't do it very often but next Sunday we will be taking a 160 mile run for a Christmas dinner, I will report back. Towing heavy with a lot of big grades coming south we averaged 8 but out first pulling trip on the flatlands it was closer to 9.

We like the Lariat interior with the Lariat upgrade package, the nav system is not worth the $950.00 they wanted for it but I used it as a bargaining point and got it for $250.00 and it's worth that. I didn't like the front end when it first came out but now its grown on me but if I had to replace the grill I would paint a XL grill the same color as the truck and use the chrome insert bars like the KR. I have also started liking the rounded DRW fenders, if you look at the front fender contours they match the the DRW rear fenders so they look like they belong. It's also easier to reach the hitch release because they don't go so far forward.

4x4 or 2x4 is a personal choice, I like the 2x4 because I don't need 4wd and it was a $3100 option with the DRW, we have towing service if we get in trouble. If you buy a DRW with the LS 4.30 rear end it will be a Dana 80 and there is very little slip in the limited slip, you will have 4 tires digging in when needed.

My 2013 Loaded Lariat 2wd DRW 6.2 listed for $47600.00.

Denny

Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Denny, appreciate your reports. Back when I 1st started prowling this forum there was basically nobody towing heavy 'out West'. Getting folks' opinions from the plains and most places back east is apples-to-oranges compared to the real-world conditions out in these parts.

Based on your summer's trip report I was thrilled at your routing as everywhere you went is in my general region of the country and everyplace you went I've done myself. Super super relevant to my situation.

I get that you got used to the current styling but do you think a change is coming soon? I've been out of the loop so I don't have the current pulse/rumors.

In many ways I know I'd like a 4x2 better but I guess there's that part of me that worries that if we ever got back into off-roading (bikes, buggies, ATVs etc), got another boat, or if I ever decided to start skiing again I'd be really ticked off I didn't have it. The kicker is there's very little probability any of that will happen again given I have the 'been there/done that' attitude at this point in my life. As far as SRW vs DRW I guess I worry I'll have too much truck if we ever got out of the RVing circles.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 PM
rvpuller
If I ever decide to stop pulling a RV the size we do now I would go back to a slide in camper so I could pull my boat for short trips. But if I stopped all together I would go to a F150.

Denny

Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Dave HM
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a definition of "towing heavy?"

I tow an 11.5K fifth wheel down the road with the F250.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 PM
La Gasser
Freshman User
Got a 2013 F350 CC Dually with the 6.2L Gas and 4.30 limited slip rear end which has just over 12k on the clock now. To date the 6.2L has performed flawlessly. It has plenty of power to tow my 34' 14k lb gooseneck horse trailer. I took a 1,550 mile trip from Louisiana to Tulsa Oklahoma pulling the above trailer - avg mpg for the entire trip was 8.9 mpg with 2/3 of the miles pulling the trailer - just pulling the trailer was 7.8 mpg; without the trailer was 13.0 mpg - all hand calculated - truck computer showed .4 mpg higher. I was pulling at the posted speed limits which was for the most part either 70 or 75 mph. Last year, this exact same trip with the F250 6.0 PSD with the same trailer yielded 12.7 avg mpg for the entire trip. So I'm very satisfied with the gas engine and don't regret not getting a diesel again - just too many issues with them and I don't pull often enough to justify the diesel. For the 1st 10k miles I averaged 10.75 mpg with about 35% towing the above trailer. Based on how I use this truck, I calculated it was going to take me over 200k miles just to breakeven on extra cost of operating the gas vs the initial cost and operating costs of the diesel, assuming no major maintenance issues with either engine - that's based on 10.75 mpg on the gas @ $3.25/gal and the diesel engine at 15 mpg with diesel fuel @ $3.75/gal or $.50 extra on diesel fuel - also includes $8000 cost of diesel engine - it includes the costs of oil, oil filters, fuel filters, def of both engines. I also had to order the truck as basically very few dually's in La and definitely no 2wd ones for sure. But it was worth the wait to get exactly what I needed and wanted.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2014 F350 6.2 4.30 4x4 Camper Package Tow Package Fx4 SRW SB XLT Crew Cab stickered at $46,920 at Dick's Ford in Hillsboro, OR.
Payload is over 3400 lbs.
I had the basic sound system and it is now gone.
No chrome pkg.
No fog lights.
No factory running boards.
No sliding heated rear window.
No Nuthin'.
I really hate the huge pig nose chrome front end and I might Plasticote it with the body color.
Ford needs to give a really good reason to get a new truck again. (A twin turbo 5.0)

Don't wait for a new look.
The 6.2 might be breathing it's last breath. An Eco 5.0 will be better in every respect. It is the Mustang engine and Ford doesn't take that lightly.
An aftermarket satnav is best. Read the posts on
Forest River Forums - Forest River Owners Community
and read reviews on Trailer Life magazine about nav setups.
You live out here in the wild, wild west. Get 4x4. I use it all of the time on gravel, dirt, mud, ice, rocks and snow.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Dave HM

No real definition but 11.5K is getting up there. Unless I'm pulling in the mountains wind resistance is more of a problem than the weight.

Denny

Old 12-15-2013, 07:40 PM
La Gasser
Freshman User
My 2013 F350 DRW 2WD Crew Cab with 4.30 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Lower Accent Two Tone Paint & Lariat Interior Package had a sticker total including $995 Destination charges was $48,355.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave HM

Towing heavy (to me) means towing something that is largely outside the slipstream of the truck, & weighs over 10,000lbs. Large boats, 102" wide tag toy haulers, & high profile 5'vers, etc.

Wind resistance is a MOTHER to beat down, & it's even more difficult out here in the mountain west because of the altitude & grades we deal with.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an '11 XLT SWB 3.73's. Speaking for just the Sync setup in the truck, I really like it. It understands my half east coast/half west coast accent perfectly. I don't have the nav in the truck, I too like the old school atlas. It reads my texts messages to me when I want it to. Phone calls are super easy. Since I reside in CA currently, I have to have that hands free stuff. I love my 6.2. I thought about getting a 6.7, but my personal needs don't justify it. I hope you find what you're looking for.