1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear

I have an original stock three on the tree from 55. It is stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear. I am limited in my mechanical ability and looked for a FAQ and tried a search for a thread, but had no luck. As I understand it, second and third will work and not first-reverse because the shifter gates have gotten out of alignment causing the linkages not to be able to engage back to the first-reverse link or something similar. I have heard that you have someone hold the clutch in and try to put the first-reverse linkage into neutral. Should this be difficult? Then what? Second-third in gear or shifter to neutral?

Any suggestions on the easiest procedures to correct the situation for someone with my limited skills?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:27 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes just get them both back into Neutral. Than get a bushing kit.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
This may help you understand how it all works: http://www.flatheadv8.org/columnshift.pdf

Old 12-14-2013, 03:12 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Thanks for the pdf - I'll add it to my learning library. I think I will first try to put second-third in neutral on the column and try to manually move the levers under the hood to what seems to be a neutral position. Will there be three positions to click to if the levers will move by hand with neutral being in the middle? If I can get another set of eyeballs - will the levers line up beside each other if both are in neutral? Should they both move freely by hand?

Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That was a common occurrence on well used column shifted 3 speeds back in the day. Grab the shift arm on the tranny, and with the clutch depressed (be sure to block the wheels before sliding underneath!) move the arm to the center position. Do the same with the other arm. The transmission should now be unlocked. Yes they should move relatively easily by hand. There is a detent for each position. The arms on the bottom of the column will be aligned when both are in neutral.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
There is a mechanism in the trans cover to prevent going into two gears at once. First thing I'd do is jack up the rear and put it on jackstands so you can spin the driveshaft. Then disconnect the linkages at the levers on the trans. You should then be able to go into all gears, one at a time, by moving levers. If you can't move the 1 - R into gear by moving the levers at the trans, you have problems inside the trans.

Do the levers look like this, on the side of the trans, or are they bent steel levers coming down off the top of the trans?

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2013, 03:30 PM
abeagle
Senior User
They come out the side of the tranny. Will it work to move the levers on the column under the hood instead of on the side of the transmission? Always safer on your feet rather than under a vehicle if you have a choice and you are moving or jerking on something.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Yes, you can do it from there but if the linkage is the problem, it won't accomplish anything. But this is all done with the engine OFF!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Thanks and I will give it a shot once the weather allows. The truck is at the back of the driveway and can't push it or get it into reverse to get it to the garage or solid drive. The weather is either rain, snow, wind, or all the above with mud and not a good time to do anything. I'll try when weather allows. I hate winter.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I always did mine on my 55 Chevy from under the hood, realigning the shift arms on the end of the column by hand, it was easy to do if you had a helper to depress the clutch, took all of about 30 sec to pop it back into alignment. Took me a lot longer to remember not to try "power shifts"!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AXracer
I always did mine on my 55 Chevy from under the hood, realigning the shift arms on the end of the column by hand, it was easy to do if you had a helper to depress the clutch, took all of about 30 sec to pop it back into alignment. Took me a lot longer to remember not to try "power shifts"!

Ya, What Ax said.^^^^

Back in the day a GF of mine had a Henry J. It was the same with that.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Weather finally cleared enough to do the procedure. My wife held the clutch and it was easy from under the hood. It was still a little difficult trying to get it to shift at the column inside, but did fall back into sequence. It was really easy compared to some things on the old stock truck.
However, things seem too loose at the column shift and it just doesn't feel right and in proper alignment. Is that the bushings? Bushings in the gate mechanism on the column or in the transmission housing?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Prolly the bushings in both if it has them. Renew them all.
They should be cheap. They used to be. If some folks had not
pissed off Numberdummy he could prolly find NOS ones for ya.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by arctic y block
... If some folks had not
pissed off Numberdummy he could prolly find NOS ones for ya.
??? Did I miss something?
PM me if you don't want to pick scabs.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
That happens when the arms (bushing) and/or selector pin wears enough that the pin goes between the arms during a shift.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear