1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 C-900 Build project Chucks Trucks

Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 PM
cstempert
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure JRJ.

Chuck's having his website revamped and we are trying to find a way to easily upload pics and/or video as we are progressing on the build. This way the client can pretty much get a very recent update whenever they want by following a link etc

We are still trying to figure out the best method to do so that we can easily tie to an iphone or pc to update on the fly, (ie photobucket, facebook, twitter, etc.) He wants to be able to easily link or embed it onto a page on the new website too.

Any opinions as to what ol' farts like us should use?

Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
cstempert
Tuned
Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Please do me and us a favor and keep us updated so we don't have to congregate in your shop to keep the board members informed and thus distracting you from progress.

This Cabover owner keeps getting jealous of the great condition of C series trucks that keep popping up.
JML

Old 12-15-2013, 01:52 PM
cstempert
Tuned
Added another thread for another truck we are working on at Chuck's
A 48-50 F-1 pick up

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13846355

Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 AM
cstempert
Tuned
56 C750 on eBay today in case anyone is inspired
Item # 201004604810

Old 12-16-2013, 09:28 AM
HDWrecker
Freshman User
Beautiful Truck!! Are you updating the air brake system too?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 PM
cstempert
Tuned
Originally Posted by HDWrecker
Beautiful Truck!! Are you updating the air brake system too?
Yes we need to make it safe for the client so some updating is going to be needed.
Most of the valves and fittings are there, but we will be adding a trailer valve and re-bending all the tubing so it's not spaghetti, probably new cans. The brakes look clean but we'll have to see how shoes look once we go to wheels. They work we'll now, so first order of business is getting it drivable again once shortening is finished.

We're moving the compressor too because the one on it is from something later and mounts low and in the way. We sourced a new bracket and compressor (bad but has the parts we need) from a local a Salvage yard.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
My 1953C750 Tractor

Interestingly, I did a similar project over 30 years ago. I still own the truck. It seemed to be low mileage with an unknown history, other than having a horse van body on the chassis.. I removed the body and shortened the frame 3.5 feet which brought it back to the 116 inch tractor wheelbase.

The transmission was 5 spd overdrive which I wasn't fond of, so I replaced it with a direct and installed a 5831 Dana (brownie) auxillary that had a slightly taller overdrive than the 5th over. This made a different truck out of it! Cruises nicely at 55 or 60, top speed is 83.

Down the road it broke a crank, so I replaced the 317 with a low mileage 332 out of a fire truck. I updated it a bit with a 4 barrell and a later distributor with both vacuum and centrifugal advance.

The amazing thing about this truck is how good it rides. Not bad bobtail and just great with a trailer. I hope the Texas customer enjoys his as much as I have mine.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomc750
Interestingly, I did a similar project over 30 years ago. I still own the truck. It seemed to be low mileage with an unknown history, other than having a horse van body on the chassis.. I removed the body and shortened the frame 3.5 feet which brought it back to the 116 inch tractor wheelbase.

The transmission was 5 spd overdrive which I wasn't fond of, so I replaced it with a direct and installed a 5831 Dana (brownie) auxillary that had a slightly taller overdrive than the 5th over. This made a different truck out of it! Cruises nicely at 55 or 60, top speed is 83.

Down the road it broke a crank, so I replaced the 317 with a low mileage 332 out of a fire truck. I updated it a bit with a 4 barrell and a later distributor with both vacuum and centrifugal advance.

The amazing thing about this truck is how good it rides. Not bad bobtail and just great with a trailer. I hope the Texas customer enjoys his as much as I have mine.
Hi Tom,
Do you have any pictures of your truck?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Tomc750
Tuned
Yes, I have lots of pics, so as to not hijack this thread, I will post them in the big truck forum, or at least attempt to do so, my computer is balky recently. Thanks for asking.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
No luck posting pics in a thread, others had problems doing so today also. They are viewable in my album however. I'll try another time.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
No luck posting pics in a thread, others had problems doing so today also. They are viewable in my album however. I'll try another time.
Tom, here is a pic of your 53. Beautiful truck! and this looks like a vintage picture with that old hardware store/feed mill loading dock.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:24 AM
cstempert
Tuned
That's the look we are going for with this. Nice trailer too

We're going to be looking for a saddle tank and period 5th wheel. I like the full fenders. over the rear too.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 AM
cstempert
Tuned
Interestingly, I did a similar project over 30 years ago. I still own the truck. It seemed to be low mileage with an unknown history, other than having a horse van body on the chassis.. I removed the body and shortened the frame 3.5 feet which brought it back to the 116 inch tractor wheelbase. The transmission was 5 spd overdrive which I wasn't fond of, so I replaced it with a direct and installed a 5831 Dana (brownie) auxillary that had a slightly taller overdrive than the 5th over. This made a different truck out of it! Cruises nicely at 55 or 60, top speed is 83. Down the road it broke a crank, so I replaced the 317 with a low mileage 332 out of a fire truck. I updated it a bit with a 4 barrell and a later distributor with both vacuum and centrifugal advance. The amazing thing about this truck is how good it rides. Not bad bobtail and just great with a trailer. I hope the Texas customer enjoys his as much as I have mine.
Interestingly, I did a similar project over 30 years ago. I still own the truck. It seemed to be low mileage with an unknown history, other than having a horse van body on the chassis.. I removed the body and shortened the frame 3.5 feet which brought it back to the 116 inch tractor wheelbase. The transmission was 5 spd overdrive which I wasn't fond of, so I replaced it with a direct and installed a 5831 Dana (brownie) auxillary that had a slightly taller overdrive than the 5th over. This made a different truck out of it! Cruises nicely at 55 or 60, top speed is 83. Down the road it broke a crank, so I replaced the 317 with a low mileage 332 out of a fire truck. I updated it a bit with a 4 barrell and a later distributor with both vacuum and centrifugal advance. The amazing thing about this truck is how good it rides. Not bad bobtail and just great with a trailer. I hope the Texas customer enjoys his as much as I have mine.
Tom
Question: when you shortened the C-750 did you address the center drive shaft carrier hight? Did you shorten the perch that attaches to the crossmember or leave it as is?

We removed 40" from the frame just behind the cab, removed one crossmember and moved the crossmember with the support forward ( just under the rear cab wall) as well as shortened the front drive 40". The rear shaft will remain the same since we moved the crossmember equal distant.

The concern is if we leave the perch, will the front shaft angle will be too steep. Of course if we shorten the perch the rear shaft angle will change slightly

Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
cstempert
Tuned
Originally Posted by cstempert
Tom Question: when you shortened the C-750 did you address the center drive shaft carrier hight? Did you shorten the perch that attaches to the crossmember or leave it as is? We removed 40" from the frame just behind the cab, removed one crossmember and moved the crossmember with the support forward ( just under the rear cab wall) as well as shortened the front drive 40". The rear shaft will remain the same since we moved the crossmember equal distant. The concern is if we leave the perch, will the front shaft angle will be too steep. Of course if we shorten the perch the rear shaft angle will change slightly
Answered my own questionable

We have to shorten the perch quite a bit to make it correct. Plan on sectioning It from about 3 1/2" tall to 1/2". Brings all the pinion angles back in line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1955 C-900 Build project Chucks Trucks