6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Intermittent Will not Crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
BOATM8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Intermittent Will not Crank

Hi All- Long time reader. This is a great site. I have a 2011 F250 w/6.7 Powerstroke. Love it. In September I came out of work, turn the key to on position...no glow plug indicator light, no high pitch whine of the fuel pump and most importantly, it won't crank. Gauges all light up, but no glow indicator, no fuel pump sound and no crank. Get towed to dealer. Next morning they try it, and it starts right up. They can't get it to fail. Sent me home with no trouble found. A few weeks later, same condition in my garage. I had thought that maybe there was some sort of safety switch that perhaps thought it wasn't in park. I put in neutral, roll back about 6 inches, glow plugs light, fires right up. Now I think I'm on to something. In the last 2 weeks, it happened 2 more times, and both times I'm able to get it to light up by rolling a couple inches. Then, last night, same problem, but parked against a curb. Try to push up hill, but no luck. Have to get towed to dealer again. Tow truck drops at dealer, and because I knew it would, I tried to start, and it worked. So any ideas? Dealer called me, says they can't get it to fail (again), but found one battery was "bad". I'm not really buying the battery story, but also understand the dealer having trouble figuring out what is wrong when nothing goes wrong for them. Tearing my hair out...

Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,388 Likes on 2,086 Posts
Sounds interesting so I am sending a Master Tech in here.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Welcome BoatMate!
Man that one's a weirdy & frustrating for sure, a bad battery, hmmm, maybe.
Give it a few and you will have 10 good ideas roll in before long...
Wanted to jump in just to watch where this goes.
Best of luck!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I believe the battery result. They sometimes only last a couple of years with diesels. (oem batteries).

I had the some thing happen on our Taurus. I was a bad starter. Flat spot on it. Next time before moving the truck tap the starter and see if that allows a start.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Classic bad ground symptoms. I learned a long time ago, if you have something wierd going on, its a ground. Theres where I'd start first.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Might explain things, Thanks Vince

Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you have multiple component failures (IC, starter, fuel pump,etc.) look for something common to all.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Could this be anything related to the anti-theft system? I know my truck will shut off if I try to take the shifter out of P while it's idling after being remote-started. Perhaps yours isn't registering that the truck is in P so it's not firing the starter?

Your gauges and accessories all popping on and the truck starting after you put it in N then back makes me wonder if somehow the theft system is getting involved.....

Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
BOATM8
New User
Thanks to all for the ideas so far. I will pick up the truck from dealer with new battery today, and we'll see. I'm skeptical about battery being cause since I've had luck multiple times putting truck in neutral, moving a few inches and then all fires up.

Ground could be issue. If something is loose somewhere, that could act like this.

Chuck- I too have thought about anti-theft. I've also thought about neutral-safety switch (assuming truck has something like this). If the NSS was thinking truck is not in park or neutral, and then I move shifter, move truck, and go back to park..could that cause this? That would explain the starter not rolling, but not sure if that explains lack of glow plugs and fuel pump.

Appreciate all the help. Will try to post a picture of my toy(s) soon.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM
army350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope that you find out what the problem is.....sooner rather than later.

Thank you for the continuous updates.

Randy

Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Unfortunately I have NO idea how the anti-theft and any NSS we may or may not have work with each other, sorry. I'm completely shooting from the hip...

Just something about your symptoms makes me say something is preventing the starter signal, rather than that anything is broken and not able to. Have you tried shifting to N and starting it when it doesn't want to in P? In other words, before ever rolling the truck or returning to P.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BOATM8
Thanks to all for the ideas so far. I will pick up the truck from dealer with new battery today, and we'll see...
Keep in touch, BOATM8, and let us know how things turn out. If you'd like me to step in and assist, send me a PM with your information and I'll see what I can do on my end. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
subscribing

Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
BOATM8
New User
Hi Crystal- Thank you very much. Apparently I cannot do a PM for a few more days as I'm a new user!

Once I get that ability, I will touch base. Really appreciate your help.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
You can always Call the 800 number, ask for Crystal....

Quick Reply: 6.7 Intermittent Will not Crank