1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

352 2 barrel carb overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 AM
clinkfield
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
352 2 barrel carb overflowing

I had my carb rebuild by a reputable company. Also installed a new fuel pump. The gas tank is clean. (No debris coming from there.)

After driving for 15 minutes or so, the engine stalls. I look under the hood and there is gas all over the carb and the top of the engine.

If I wait an hour, I can start it up and then it happens again. It has happened the last four times I have tried to drive it.

The guy who rebuilt the carb says the fuel pump is probably putting out too much pressure. How do I check that?

One guy says the gas is getting too hot and vaporizing. Is that possible? How do I check that?

Or - any other ideas as to what might be causing this?

Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 PM
63' f100
Elder User
I think its probably the float not working correctly to cut off the flue flow.

Just unscrew the top of the carburetor and take a look at the float. If the float is not installed correctly then it will cause exactly the problem you are describing.

You would have to have to have a very big fuel pump pumping way too much fuel for the fuel pump to be the problem.

Vaporized fuel would not cause it to spill fuel all over the engine, it would cause vapor lock, which is an entirely different problem.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:29 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
If its the same fuel pump you used with the carb before; it shouldn't be a problem. I would check float height and look for a sticky needle and seat. Like mentioned above the float could be installed wrong. 2 barrel Autolite? Stock pump?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 AM
clinkfield
Junior User
I never really drove it with the old fuel pump and the carb before rebuild. It ran like crap when I got it

The carb guy said the float looked good to him. He has a good rep around here.

I hooked up an inline fuel pressure gauge and have been running at right around 5psi. After installing the gauge I drove it around the block a couple of times and then propped the throttle open and let it rev at medium rpm's for about a half hour. Then I drove it around the block again. The carb did not overflow. The only thing that is different is the fuel line from the pump to the carb.

I haven't had a chance to drive it again since. Maybe just taking things apart and putting them back together will "accidentally" fix it!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM
dsrtjeeper
Elder User
Originally Posted by clinkfield
I never really drove it with the old fuel pump and the carb before rebuild. It ran like crap when I got it

The carb guy said the float looked good to him. He has a good rep around here.

I hooked up an inline fuel pressure gauge and have been running at right around 5psi. After installing the gauge I drove it around the block a couple of times and then propped the throttle open and let it rev at medium rpm's for about a half hour. Then I drove it around the block again. The carb did not overflow. The only thing that is different is the fuel line from the pump to the carb.

I haven't had a chance to drive it again since. Maybe just taking things apart and putting them back together will "accidentally" fix it!
If you installed new rubber line to carb; I suspect you may have has a piece of rubber temporarily stuck in the needle and seat. I've seen this happen many times after a piece of rubber line was cut. It only takes a fine particle. Do you have a fuel filter just before the carb?