6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

EGT and NOX Sensor...KISS IT PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Too bad you gave away your last pipe. I bet a fabricator could have helped you out with a bung in that pipe. My bet is that the aftermarket will soon have a new part number for post DPF pipes that includes this accommodation. Sux we now have another sensor to deal with.
For the most part, I keep my windows up and stereo on, so I've never heard the blow dryer or pissed off cat I've heard people mention before. I guess if I had, I would be looking to ditch it too. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait, 14 (!) EGT sensors? That's insane. That (new) sensor someone mentioned is what went bad on my new truck. It is a diesel particulate matter sensor. I got the code but it didn't shut down. It is being replaced under warranty now at the dealer.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:14 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
Wait, 14 (!) EGT sensors? That's insane. That (new) sensor someone mentioned is what went bad on my new truck. It is a diesel particulate matter sensor. I got the code but it didn't shut down. It is being replaced under warranty now at the dealer.
no. there are only 4, but labeled position at 11, 12, 13 and 14

Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Too bad you gave away your last pipe. I bet a fabricator could have helped you out with a bung in that pipe. My bet is that the aftermarket will soon have a new part number for post DPF pipes that includes this accommodation. Sux we now have another sensor to deal with.
For the most part, I keep my windows up and stereo on, so I've never heard the blow dryer or pissed off cat I've heard people mention before. I guess if I had, I would be looking to ditch it too. Good luck!
It's all good. My business has two SD trucks. My partner has a 2014 F250 CC SWB 4x4 6.7. The pipe is sitting in our warehouse ready to be installed on the truck. So, I hasn't gone far. This 14' truck has about 35,000 miles on it I think, we bought it this past summer/spring. It has airbags, 5100 shocks, VIAIR system, all the goodies. It's the dark green color with the Adobe two tone. Nice truck. It's interesting to be able to look closely at a 14 truck and a 15 truck.

The pissed off cat sound really is only an issue when there is a trailer attached. The sound is directed forward and we tow trailers all the time. Not a big deal but it's nice to get rid of.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I think you should get a DRW for the next ride. Glad I did.

End of the hijack.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread...... I just picked up a '15 and trying to sift through some of the other threads on this topic will give you a damn head ache and a bad case of cross eye!

This is very simple and easy to follow...... I got 400 miles on my truck..... In the next weekend or two I plan to take out the 4 sensors and put on some anti- seize. I will also pick up 2 spare sensors.

I see that in Smoky diesels post he Aldo list the NOX sensor........ I assume this failed also and shuts the truck down? If so I guess I need to get one also. Fortunately I have a friend that works at the dealer so I should be able to get an employee discount.

I am now looking into buying a simple code reader or possibly the Edge CTS which is a code reader but also displays a ton of info that Ford does not give you.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:03 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't anti seize bake and get hard when exposed to high temps. That's why you can't use it on brake systems. Or is there a high temp anti seize. Just curious

Old 06-07-2015, 07:08 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ncl
Doesn't anti seize bake and get hard when exposed to high temps. That's why you can't use it on brake systems. Or is there a high temp anti seize. Just curious
If you use PermaTex silver anti-seize, it won't. If you use anything with bronze or copper in it, it will get rock hard on exhaust temps.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 AM
CR3999!
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread...... I just picked up a '15 and trying to sift through some of the other threads on this topic will give you a damn head ache and a bad case of cross eye!

This is very simple and easy to follow...... I got 400 miles on my truck..... In the next weekend or two I plan to take out the 4 sensors and put on some anti- seize. I will also pick up 2 spare sensors.

I see that in Smoky diesels post he Aldo list the NOX sensor........ I assume this failed also and shuts the truck down? If so I guess I need to get one also. Fortunately I have a friend that works at the dealer so I should be able to get an employee discount.

I am now looking into buying a simple code reader or possibly the Edge CTS which is a code reader but also displays a ton of info that Ford does not give you.
Ditto, Now I have hours and hours of reading to do. Have twenty five hundred miles on mine. THANKS!
From an old 6.0 guy.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Elsimon
New User
NOx recall

I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 Diesel. My engine light came on and the dealer tells me it is not under warranty or recall. Price is $504.00 to replace. I don't like the "Replace or engine will shut down" threat. Isn't that extortion?

Does anyone have a copy of the actual recall notice? When I did a search on my VIN on Ford's website it shows no recall notices. I would like to go in with some ammunition to save me a few bucks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Originally Posted by Elsimon
I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 Diesel. My engine light came on and the dealer tells me it is not under warranty or recall. Price is $504.00 to replace. I don't like the "Replace or engine will shut down" threat. Isn't that extortion?

Does anyone have a copy of the actual recall notice? When I did a search on my VIN on Ford's website it shows no recall notices. I would like to go in with some ammunition to save me a few bucks.

How many miles on the truck? What codes is the truck throwing? $504 to replace what? A sensor? If so, which one?

Is this what you are looking for (click link, read thread)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-sensors.html

Here is another read you may find worth your time to read
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-7l-14e03.html

Old 07-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Elsimon
New User
Sorry, I was in too much of a rush to get this posted. I am told it is the NOx sensor. 70,332.5 miles. I don't know the error code only that the engine light came on over the weekend and my wife needs to do some towing this week. So in it went to the dealer and they came back with that price. I am also not sure if the price includes labor.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Gotcha. I'd encourage you to read those threads and then talk to the dealership to see what exactly they are replacing. Considering the customer satisfaction letter is out and you are under the stipulations set by FoMoCo, I'm not certain how they can charge you? Have you called FoMoCo customer service?
800.392.FORD

I'd tell you to PM Crystal (the Ford rep here), but until you have some more posts and time here, you don't have messaging capabilities from FTE. Welcome to the site

Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have been moaning and groaning for years about the engine shut down due to sensor failures on these trucks since they came out.

I do love the way you posted it and questioned it as a matter of "Extortion" however. And as much as it brought me a smile and a laugh, it's not extortion. It's a FACT!!!! Brought to you by the little gremlins who manage the emissions in joint command of the CPU electrical program and roadside assistance.

Good Luck on the fix. And notice that this is most always an extension of Murphy's Law as to the timing.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, I was in too much of a rush to get this posted. I am told it is the NOx sensor. 70,332.5 miles. I don't know the error code only that the engine light came on over the weekend and my wife needs to do some towing this week. So in it went to the dealer and they came back with that price. I am also not sure if the price includes labor.
Welcome to the site, Elsimon! As SavageNFS mentioned, since you're a new user, you won't have the ability to send private messages just yet. If you'd like to speak with someone about your concerns, you can call our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673. If you're comfortable sending your details via email, I'll be happy to research ways to help. Email your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership to custserv@ford.com. Please put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. Post here once you've sent your message; that's how I'll know to go and look for it.

Crystal

Quick Reply: EGT and NOX Sensor...KISS IT PLEASE