The $500 F250 - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

The $500 F250

Old 01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Killgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to behold
WOO! sounds awesome and nice laying down a bit of rubber haha

Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 AM
slashfan7964
Posting Guru
slashfan7964 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slashfan7964 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Always fun to lay down some rubber. Glad to see its running much better.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM
JP3
Senior User
JP3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Now I can move on to the next phases of this project. First will be repairing the gas tank vent lines. Then I'll look at the rubber brake lines and cleaning up the underhood wiring/getting headlights to work.

I am stoked that it runs good now.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
JP3
Senior User
I pulled the steering wheel off the other day. The upper portion is from a 70's Thunderbird I think. It was half-*** installed with a single t-bolt and the upper bearing is totally the wrong size or missing a bushing. I think I can either get a bearing that will fit or I can put a shim in there to tighten it all up. I should be able to make it usable. The steering wheel is total junk. I have looked at steering wheels, but the stock style wheels are more than I want to spend for a stock steering wheel. I ended up buying a very 70's looking Grant from Oreilly.

Steering column is fixed, collar is tight, bearing is shimmed and the new steering wheel is on. Signals work and cancel now. I also trouble shooted the headlights. Turned out to be a bad dimmer switch. I went in the garage and looked in my box of electrical stuff and actually had a brand new one. Swapped it in and bingo, the headlights work!

Next mission is to replace the gas tank filler tube vent hoses.

In order to do that, a guy can:
A) Drop the tank
B) Remove the bed

I chose C) Bust out the nibblers and cut an access hole. haha It's not like this truck is a beauty queen anyway. I will make some patch panels for the holes so I can get back in there if I ever need to replace the filler tube itself.

Rear tank:

Front tank:

I almost goofed and cut the front tank hole in the wrong place.

So after I replace the hoses tomorrow, I should be able to start driving it around town. Can't wait.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 AM
75Three90
Postmaster
75Three90 has a great reputation on FTE.75Three90 has a great reputation on FTE.75Three90 has a great reputation on FTE.75Three90 has a great reputation on FTE.
I made an access panel on a Ford exploder one time lol

Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 AM
77&79F250
Used OEM parts guy
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Might as well cut one for the sending unit, since you are right there.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 AM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
1958 Ford F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi I just stumbled on your Thread and I Love this style of Truck , Very cool for $500 Bucks and the wheels you put on it are really Cool looking. Part of the Fun is Taking it apart, Cleaning it up and putting it back together.. The Floor Pans actually look good and not Rusted through... Cool !!! If you get it looking close to that picture you posted up, it will look really nice and it will turn some heads on the road for sure Man I cringe when you say Cold Weather, I'm down in Florida and the few times it get's cold down here, we stay inside.... I hope you keep at it.. it's a really nice Platform for a solid Project...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:47 PM
JP3
Senior User
Productive day today! I replaced the vent hoses, but it was not without issue. I read that the hose was 5/8, so that is what I bought. Well there is no way you could ever get a 5/8 reinforced hose to go over those fittings! I went back to Oreilly and bought some 3/4 and it worked perfect.

I fired it up and took it for a drive. It really rides much nicer without the extra shocks on the front. I did notice that I mounted the steering wheel a little crooked. I was afraid that might happen and it certainly did. Upon my return I popped the hood and noticed the battery puked acid out. What the heck? I have noticed that once before, but thought it was because the battery was not secured well. I hooked up the volt meter, started the truck, 14v. Nice. I revved the engine and watched the voltmeter start climbing. 14..16..18.. Ok voltage regulator must be kaput. I guess it was over charging the battery just a wee bit. I will swap it out later.

After that was finished, I decided to pull the instrument cluster and just take a peek to check the condition of the wiring. Good thing I did. What I found was multiple cut wires, and a big blob of splices that were twisted an taped. POS... Previous Owner Sins. No solder, no connector. Phooey. I considered soldering them all up, but decided to wait until I had my wiring diagram in hand. I ended up cleaning the door panels, hvac controls (and removing them) instrument panel and dash surround.

Once I was at a stopping spot, I decided to try my hand at straightening out some of the mangled trim pieces. Whomever tore them off really did a good job of screwing them up. I banged and bent until I think they are usable. Not pretty or perfect, but usable. I also straightened the bedside trim and had to reseat the rubber portion in the mounting grooves. That was much much harder than it sounds, but it is done!!

I dumped a bottle of MMO in the fuel tank and then I checked the plugs. They were pretty black, but were all consistent. I leaned out the idle mixture quite a bit and it seemed to like it. Still not sure the timing marks are correct though.

Long day. I'm beat.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 AM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
Yeah... that is good that you checked the wiring because on my 58 was the same issue... Having to undo all the wrong from previous owner(s) and it's good you do that so you won't have an issue... Voltage Regulator is pretty cheap, I think when I changed mine it was like $60 bucks... it should take care of the problem with the Battery. Sounded like a good Productive Day.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Killgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to beholdKillgore is a splendid one to behold
Just the regulator itself is like 18 bucks at o riellys. Seemed to work fine on my truck.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Pickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to behold
Dude,,, nice work so far, keep it up!!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM
JP3
Senior User
Swapped the voltage reg from the Mustang onto the pickup. Not thinking it works either. Running voltage is 12.3v and does not change with rpm at all. Oh well it was worth a shot.

Went and bought a new reg. The new reg acts just like the one from the Mustang. So I swapped the original back on and it started at 14.2 then the voltage started climbing to 16+ while the engine was idling.

A friend commented that the idiot light circuit may need to be in place for the alternator to be excited and begin charging. I googled it and sure enough, he was right. A quick look at the wiring behind the dash cluster confirms that the wire to the voltage reg is not connected to anything. Nice. Not only is it not connected but there were several other wires incorrectly spliced. It's a wonder this thing has not caught fire (again!) and burned to the damn ground! I'm betting the bad voltage regulator may have had something to do with the apparent dash fire this thing had at some point.

Fun fun.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 PM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
WHOA !!! Yeah that could of caught Fire... But on a good note at least you are finding the issues as you go along and you can correct them....

Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM
JP3
Senior User
I feex.

I connected the green w/red (from dash light to voltage reg) to the black w/green (ignition switch to dash light) and bingo boingo the new voltage regulator operates as it should. Both wires had been cut and were not connected to anything. Small battles win the war.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
4wydnr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice truck! This is a entertaining thread and build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The $500 F250

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.