Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The $500 F250

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
This project is about to embark on a new chapter. The Mustang has reached a performance level that if I want to go faster, it will need a full cage, and a bunch of other stuff. I really don't want to jack with all that and I'm starting to get bored with it. My son is going to put the original 302 that came out of the Mustang back in it (along with a 5 speed and some N2O) and we will have a fun 12 sec car to play around with.

So, the plan so far is to swap the 552 from the Mustang into Nanner. I would love to keep the E4OD in it because I love the OD, but am not sure about that just yet. E4OD torque converters are EXPENSIVE and the stock one will not cut it. The C6 would work fine, but the truck has 4.33 gears in it and the OD is so nice to have.

The 552 makes about 650hp, so just playing with the numbers, it looks like it might end up being a low low 11 or even a high 10 second truck in good air. The best part is, the truck is much roomier for other goodies later on. Might even end up with a couple of GT45 turbos, who knows? The 552 has a Megasquirt that controls the ignition timing only right now, but I will be able to piggyback that onto the EEC-IV harness and EFI the 552 at some point.

There are going to be some challenges, like power brakes, and putting a power steering pump on that will work around the 552's electric water pump.

Can't wait to dive in!

Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM
JP3
More Turbo
Picked up a 2001 Dodge seat on Craigslist for $40. Whoo hoo shoulder belts! This is the type seat I have always wanted to put in this truck. Hope I can make it fit!

Old 08-12-2017, 08:17 AM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ya I would like to see those seats in the truck too.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
01 ram?

I am interested too.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Jacobb73
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That shifter mount!!!

Originally Posted by JP3
We got sooooooo close to driving it this weekend. Well, Saturday, because we went skiing on Sunday. Haha Bleeding the brakes turned out to be a little more troublesome than expected so we did not get them bled. Shifter is in, air intake is in, it starts, runs and acts as it should. It had a tick when we first cranked it up but that went away after it ran a little while. Now that everything is in, we really need to get after engine cleaning!

Shifter mount and intake tube turned out fantastic.

Shifter mount is made from a section of the truck's frame that we cut out.

That shifter mount looks sick!!! I was trying to figure out what to do with this... I just don't like the way it looks... (bought it this way)

Old 08-14-2017, 08:10 AM
JD Q
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seat cover repair

JP3, I too have the dodge seats in my F150. These seats are prone to tearing in the same location. I found this information: Permanent Seat Repair DIY - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums. When I replaced my covers and cushion, I could see how the steel seat frame sits higher than the seat section under load. Scooting in and out of the truck pinches the foam, causes the tear. I added the burlap and extra 1” foam across the entire surface. It’s been a year now, so far so good. I really like how the seat turned out. I wish you much luck.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Thanks for the seat fix link! How did you go about mounting the seat in your truck? I have some ideas, but additional input is always welcome.

I stuffed them into the truck Friday afternoon. They are a tight fit with the main roll bar hoop, but I think they might work Ok.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:58 AM
good to doo
Elder User
Ya I,m struggling with mounting my seats also. Need more info.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 AM
JD Q
Senior User
seat

What I did had a lot of adjustment, however, sat too high. I have a plan to correct that. But first what I did: 1) I took out the bench seat then bolted the two OEM mounts back in place on the floor. 2) Used (two) ½” s/80 steel pipe across the total width of the seats and bolted them atop the OEM mounts. 3) Drilled 1” holes through the Dodge seat bracket as close to the seat as I could (aligned the holes). 4) Welded the pipe in the dodge bracket then cut off the extra. 5) Bolt everything in. See picture. My wife is 5’ 2” and loved it. I am 6’7” and I have another plan.
Other plan: 1) I have bought another set of OEM dent side bench seat mounts. 2) I will make (four) triangular angle iron pieces to bolt in on the floor near each door to level the outside OEM seat mounts. 3) Remove the dodge seat mounts and pipe and bolt the OEM mounts to the driver and passenger seats. (The center seat will be bolted stationary w/spacers, no adjustment). 4) Bolt the OEM seat mounts to floor and triangular angle iron.
I am working on fuel return line now, but I will get back to the seats. But I have a PLAN!

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Build the e40d. Look what lightning guys have done with them on www.nloc.net. converters are expensive as they are billet lock-up units. I had a Pro-Torque 2400 stall in my stockish lightning that was awesome. Circle d converters also heavily used in the lightnings. While stock e4ods are not the best, a built one is a beautiful thing

Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM
JP3
More Turbo
I have been! I have been a member over there for a while.

Right now, the plan is to run the C6 and build the E4OD as funds allow to swap in later.

This E4OD has been rebuilt at some point and from what I found when I dropped the pan (missing valve body nuts, loose bolts) I really would not expect it to survive behind an engine with over 400 more horsepower.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Saturday I finished up the mounting frame. Not real happy with how the seat attaches to the frame on the insides just yet, but now that I have test fit them, I have figured out a better way to mount them.

The center console is just wedged in there right now. It fits pretty tight. Overall, they look pretty kick butt, sit great and fit really well.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 AM
JD Q
Senior User
The seats looks good, the roll bar fits well with the head rest.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
JP3
More Turbo
Seat is all mounted now and we drove it to the impromptu car show that happens on the first Saturday of every month. Lots of cool stuff there and Nanner had it's share of looky-lou's too.

Seat sits nice and the built-in seat belts are great. Very happy with how it turned out!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 PM
good to doo
Elder User
Ya. Great job.

Quick Reply: The $500 F250