Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear seat belts, rollcage

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1/8 plate at the bottom of each post with 4 bolts then on the bottom of the body a 1/8 plate connected to a post connected to a frame.

Mounted like that if you can't go to the frame directly right?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Well on the larger than the base plate trick, I have seen used (3/16 or 1/8" thick) on top and below the body panel.

To tie it to the frame they used on the cab front bars once thru the cab floor, 1/8" thick 1 1/2 x 3 C channel. For the middle down tubes the used 1 1/2 dia heavy wall tube.

The middle tube they used 1 1/2 scheduled 40 tube bent 90 degrees then cross braced with 1.5 square tubing.

For For the aft kicker bars 1 1/2x 1 1/2 square tubing mounted diagonally. And yes grade 8 bolts on the mid and aft fenderwell kickers, where they were plate bolted together.

I am sure they is a # of ways to do it, but this worked very well. Like I said it was on its roof more than once and the passenger side bar did flex to hit the dash, but it did not bend the frame tie.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:15 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbeardbiii
I read the posts here but I wanted to know if anyone has thought of this? I spoke to a friend that has a tube bending machine and builds roll cages for rock crawlers, 4 wheeler's, etc... about building me one for my Bronco and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Then, the next day I was behind a Jeep with the top off and the roll cage was staring me in the eye. I thought, I wonder if a pull off from a Jeep at the JY would fit? I did the measurements and of my Bronco & then went to the JY and measured several from different years and they appear to be exactly the correct width to not interfere with the rear seat width & 1" under the top of the Bronco. Therefore, the only alterations I think that would have to be done is adding some matching tubing to the two rear poles since the Jeep has them mounted on top of the rear fender well... Has anyone done this? Lastly, in case anyone wants to know about the 3rd tail light loss by removal of the hard top, also while looking at the Jeep I wondered if it's 3rd tail light that sits on its spare tire carrier would work as well. So, I measured it while at the JY, snipped the 2 wires and purchased it. Got it home and by grinding off about 1" from the front portion of the bottom of the Jeep light and welding a flat metal piece to the spare tire holder, it fit. Then, I found the 2 (1- dark Green & 1 solid Black) of 5 wires going to the Bronco's 3rd brake light connector that works the brake light, ran 10' of speaker wire from the Jeep light under the rear seal that keeps the carpet in place & up the left side rear pillar to the Bronco 3rd light connector. I then, used a barrel connector for 1 wire (connector barrel needs to be big enough to barely go over the male pin) and a "U" shaped connector to slide around the other cylinder pin.
Originally Posted by bigbeardbiii
77&79 F250,
Thank you for your post. However, I guess I should have stated that my Bronco is a 1995 and yours is an early '70's ('71?). Here is a little more indepth to where I'm at in my thinking now.... Since the J/Y quoted me $200 for the complete 6 pt. Jeep roll cage & the rear 4 pts. LxWxH measurements appear to work perfectly for the rear (removing the 2 pts. that go forward to the windscreen as again since I do not rock climb, etc...), & the later one's also have not only the foam cover but in some nicer models you can also get the additional speakers added in where the rear 2 pts. join the center bar. The only additional modification that would need to be made is cutting the additional tubing needed to raise the rear 2 pts. up, off of the front 2 pts. (that are used in the jeep to attach to the windscreen that again, I will not use/need), cutting the rear 2pts. in 1/2 & welding the additional tubing cut off the front 2 pts. to the rear 2 pts..... So, as you can see for $200., a cut saw, & a welder there is no other expense (as the additional length needed to raise the rear 2 pts. will be coming from the front 2pts. not needed). My only 2 concerns here is whether: 1. the width of the Jeep bars align with the frame for the Bronco, and 2. whether the factory Jeep female connector's on the rear 2 pts. will be in a location that will work to connect the Bronco seat belt shoulder straps? These are the only real reason for my inquiry trying to figure out if anyone had ever done this is I forgot to measure that when I was @ the J/Y!

Ok, any follow up on this? I'm curious if you actually tried the Jeep cage or had one custom built? If you did the Jeep cage I would love to see pics.