1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Request for 73-79 forum moderators for in house classifieds.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:47 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't give a **** anymore Rich, I'm going over here Ford Truck Fanatics

These *******s ran MiIIion off, and he was the best schematic/wiring guy here. Google him.... pre FMC400

Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Trying real hard

2. Personal Conduct . Post language and material suitable for the home or office. Do not post foul language, racial epithets or sexually explicit content in any form. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Posting for the purpose of gaining access to additional features of the site is not allowed.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Tim
Trying real hard

2. Personal Conduct . Post language and material suitable for the home or office. Do not post foul language, racial epithets or sexually explicit content in any form. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Posting for the purpose of gaining access to additional features of the site is not allowed.
Trying real hard to referee this....

Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 AM
boonslick
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Job

Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I ask them how we can get a dedicated/stickied thread that is a 73-79 classified WTS (want to sale) & WTB (Wanted to buy). Here is my wording....

-----What did it take to get the CC only forum approved for there own forum stickied in the top of the 73-79 forum thread list?

Is there any way the 73-79 forum could have there own classified/combo WTS or WTB thread? And have it to stickied to the top like the CC?

I feel it would get the parts for sale located by the truck owners that need them faster and give the sellers a dedicated place to list there 73-79 parts, and not out in the general classifieds.

I understand that there are certain rules and guidelines for using the Marketplace forum and that they would apply, I see no problems there.

I have heard numerous time that a 73-79 classified thread in our 73-79 section would be appreciated, what do you think? I cruise the WTB section and have to wade thru all the other truck years to get to the 73-79 parts request add.

Thanks for listening me out, Rich-------

So come on folks agree or not, post up some opinions. Let them know how you feel about it, or if you have any other suggestions or input let us and them know.

There are people that need to locate the parts and buy them and there are folks with parts for sale.
Hello and good morning Rich

You have done well my friend; 7 pages of replies!!!

I read IB Tim's reply and now you have an Administrator on board so you are on your way.

I have not seen a Thread catch on like this one.

Kudos to you!

Boon

Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Tim
Trying real hard

And your **** like restrictions don't exceed the boundries of acceptable conduct?

You've done more to impede free speech than I have, be that as it is...the horses have to eat.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Life is about choices and no one.. not even me...is bigger then FTE....this thread will remain open, lets get it back to talking how to improve the classifieds.

Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Trying real hard to referee this....

Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
If you want to see for yourself what buy/sell/trade sticky turns into, go look for yourselves at the Free Parts thread in 80-86:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...good-home.html

Tell me how useful that thread is, and how easy it is to find something in it....

I closed it just last night (after a few months of thinking about it) because:

1) It has once again become cluttered up to the point of being almost useless

2) I have no idea what parts may still be available (which ads are still valid) and I have no desire to nor intention of once again sending PMs to guys and asking, and then deleting posts as necessary (assuming they answer)

Like Rob said, I am a volunteer here with just a few hours per day (except for weekends) of a life outside of work with lots of other stuff to do besides babysitting FTE stuff.

FWIW I also hope we can come up with something that works for buy/sell/trade as we have the same needs & desires next door in 80-86, but I can tell you that stickies in a forum where stuff does not age out by itself is not the answer...

Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The market places worked very well over on honda-tech for many many years. Basically a second forum just for buy/sell/trade, split into years and models. Sadly I don't know if it is still the same as it once was because I left the forum back when some yahoo bought out the forum.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Yes right off the bat it turned into a mini parts/chat thread...does this fit ect...I read your guidelines and it seems like no one followed them IMO.

Especially the PM part, but isn't there a rule about you have to have so many posts before you PM privileges? Some people do not even know about the PM capability.....

Anyway to make the add last 45 days no matter what, like craigslist? But them people would complain like "Where did my add go?", I'm sure.

Anyway to make the current classifieds separated by truck generation/years like the main forum is?

I just went to the classifieds again and used the "advanced search" option again and got along ok. I just thought, hopped or wished that some how a classifieds section could be put in the main forum I am only on.

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Using the advanced search options, you CAN limit your search for the 73--79 years. The example below shows all parts for sale including both gas and diesel engines.

Of course the advance search or any search only works if the seller/buyer properly "enters the right description".

Ford Truck Parts for Sale - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:01 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by glruff
Using the advanced search options, you CAN limit your search for the 73--79 years. The example below shows all parts for sale including both gas and diesel engines.
Yes, that part of the Advanced Search seems to work.

But I cannot seem to figure out how to find a specific term within just those search results... the C6 transmission (for example) which I know is listed in the "Buy my stuff" ad (8th item returned in the initial search).

Of course the advance search or any search only works if the seller/buyer properly "enters the right description".
Which is a different problem, how to get sellers to properly list their ads so they can be properly categorized by the search thing....

Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That will always be the issue, either listing it by some odd name or not spelling correctly. In an ideal arrangement, the proper names and spellings would be used, but dealing with the masses, ideal is not...

How hard has the monthly Junk Yard Wish List been to manage? I do and have known that you guys are just volunteers, so I fully understand the time constraint part of it, especially on active forums. If you spend a lot of time on it, you make it look easy.... From a user perspective, the wish list seems to work out pretty well. The other aspect is time limiting. It gives an end date as to when the posting will be ending, and keeps the users engaged so as to not have a listing on for months and then finally get a response well after the part was listed.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Google search can also be used but results are not much better.

Search with Google: FTE MARKETPLACE C6 transmission

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=FTE+Marketplace+C6+transmission#

Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM
ctubutis
The JY Wishlist is easy, just close it at the end of the month and make a new one, then edit/update any posts with links to it.

But I sometimes get too busy to even do that (happens over the summer), or I forget to do it... I've let it go for 3 months at times and just edit the title to include the current month because that's the fastest thing to do.

Yes, there is a 5-post/10-day minimum (or something like that) to use the PM feature, but some people don't know what a PM is/don't know how to use them/have their preferences set up to not allow PMs. So, I then end up holding people's hands and teaching them how to use PMs, things people could invariably learn for themselves if they'd just read the instructions (a different problem by itself).

This becomes even harder when the person doesn't speak English real well and you're talking to him via Visitor's Messages on your profile... you're not quite sure what it is he's trying to say, nor are you sure how to explain it in a way that he will hopefully understand (but you just don't know if he understands or not).

So, maybe a b/s/t thread that gets rotated once a month might be a solution, but there'll still be the "im lookin 4 XYZ mail me if u hav 1 2 sell thx"-type of posts (I generally move those to the JY Wishlist thread) or "will this fit my ______" or "Do you still have this? How much is shipping to Podunk, Utah?" or "How do I figure out what kind of A/C compressor I have?" or whatever.

I have done very little to that Free Parts thread the past ~1 year, what you guys don't see is that ~1/3rd of the irrelevant posts have already been deleted.

And, then there are the paying Vendors here, those who pay money to be able to promote their wares but they have special rules they have to live by and I forget what they are, I'm not sure if they're allowed to participate in these types of buying/selling discussions or not.

I personally like the idea of a central location for b/s/t stuff but with an easy-to-use, intuitive interface that lets people find relevant stuff and bypass all the chit-chat.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
ctubutis
Google search can also be used but results are not much better.

Search with Google: FTE MARKETPLACE C6 transmission

Let me google that for you
Here's a way to maybe make the results somewhat better using google like that:

Let me google that for you

Quick Reply: Request for 73-79 forum moderators for in house classifieds.