General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Seeking riding tractor/mower advise

Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Seeking riding tractor/mower advise

I currently own a 1998 Murray rear engine riding lawn mower. It has an 8 HP Tecumseh engine and a 30" cut. I bought it new for $400.

To be honest, the only money that I've had to spend on this machine is for battery replacements, oil changes, air filters, spark plugs and inner tubes for the front tires.

Late this summer one day she belched out a nice pretty blue puff of smoke and she's been smoking blue ever since. Naturally under load she smokes more but she smokes all the time, even at idle.

I'm pretty sure that I've gotten the best part of it's life and for very little money. I will be replacing this machine in the spring. I'm sure that a repair would cost far more than it's worth.

I have no intention of spending big bucks on a 300 series Deere or a high dollar Cub Cadet just to mow 10,000 s/f lot.

I've been looking at the Troy Bilt and the Deere 100 series.

Thoughts, advise or concerns?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I see lots of quality issues with the branded Deere mowers , the ones not sold at a JD dealer . Lots are just that , " branded " cheep mowers sold at home improvement stores , lower quality , just green . I would not waste my money on one . I would just as soon buy a mower from wallmart . Then you don't feel as bad when it breaks and parts are hard to get . Just my 2cents !

Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Tim , you may want to look at the C case vent ..

Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a Troy Bilt 21hp 42in cut for 9 years, and it was something all the time, steering tie rod ends X2, blade spindles about every other year, tires dry rotted and cracked (wouldn't hold air) after 5 years.. Lower steering shaft bushing EVERY year.. Too many other things to list...

I got fed up this summer and purchased a John Deere D170 26 hp, 54 inch cut, I have close to 40 hours on it so far and all I have done is oil/filter change, and a grease job..

I mow close to 3 acres and the Troy Bilt took close to 6 hours as hard as you could go, the Deere takes about 2.5 hrs casual mowing.

Another thing the Troy Bilt was bad about skipping cutting all the grass if you let it get a little too high, you had to slow way down and most of the time cut it a second time to get a good cut. The Deere goes through the same scenario at full speed and never misses a blade of grass.. It was NOT dull blades on the Troy Bilt, I had to sharpen them after 3 mowings.. (Seemed to be soft metal) One other thing I can think of is the blades are a little more than twice as twice on the Deere..

One other tid bit is The Troy Bilt, Huskee, Cub Cadet, Yard man , and a couple others are all made by MTD..

My only regret is I didn't buy a John Deere 10 years ago..

If I can answer any more questions feel free to shoot me a PM...

Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haaaaaaaaaa this sold me on the deere John Deere Media Player

Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by slimbo13
haaaaaaaaaa this sold me on the deere John Deere Media Player

I don't need their "track" parts of my place is that rough!!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I visited Troy Bilt's website and read the reviews. It seems that certain tractors are more repair prone than others but the common theme is power and uneven cuts due largely to having no wheels on the mower deck so it can float.

It's too bad, I can remember when Troy Bilt was a name of quality.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only thing troy i used was tiller and they were the best

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by slimbo13
only thing troy i used was tiller and they were the best
You are right about the tillers that were actually built by Troy Bilt, in Troy NY... I have one from the late sixties, and it never gives any trouble, all it's ever had is oil changes, plugs/points& condenser, it usually starts on the second pull, even in the spring after sitting all winter...

The mowers (not sure about the tillers) were bought out by MTD and their stuff is almost Wal Mart quality now-a-days..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim,

I've never had good 'luck' with Tecumseh engines.

You 'could' get a replacement Briggs & Stratton engine to put on the rider, and keep on going.
(I've been building/working on B&S engines since I was a kid. Built my first mower engine from genuine junk parts!!)

I'm currently on year 22 with my old "Monkey Warts" (built by MTD) riding mower.
16 hp two-cylinder B&S engine. 42" cut.
It FINALLY needs belts, and the last time I cut grass, the engine just 'quit'. (I'm certain that the "Magnetron" ignition module has died. It did this same thing, when the mower was 2 years old.)

I'm not buying anything new. The quality just isn't there, in the newer mowers, and I am NOT paying $2,800-$4,999.99 for a Zero-Turn rider!!!!!!!

I'll ride my ole "Monkey Warts" mower 'til the wheels fall off, then, I'll put new wheels on it, and ride it some more!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, all I can add is beware the JD 100 series. Especially the ones with hydrostatic trannies. If you have acreage of any substance to mow (greater then say 1/2 acre) don't go 100 series. Everything on the machine will last but the hydro and they are not serviceable. If you buy hydro transmission from any manufacturer, look for one with true 1" axles and a drainable tranny with a filter on it. The sealed units overheat and cook the oil if a) you have hills of any sort b) you are on the portly side c) you regularly and often mow 1/2 acre or more. This is just my experience. There are probably owners that will disagree with me, but I have replaced several sealed units. Many hydro units are made by the same company -Hydro-Gear- regardless of the brand of tractor on which they are installed. Much like Tecumseh Peerless manual transmissions were (and still are) installed on virtually all brands offering manual transmissions. These manual trannies, however, seem to last an eon.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
I have a 42'' deck Craftsman that seems to run great for me 8 years so far Its ready for blades because of the dam Goffers. It has the Briggs and Stration engine cant remember the size off hand.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Whatever I end up with, I intend to keep it simple with a manual gear shift, 42" cut and a B&S engine. Sounds like all the smaller lower end models are about the same, different colors.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
I also have a Older JD 400 with the 52 deck and PTO I unhooked the deck and installed a Johnson bucket that helps around the farm for small loads , it came with a roto tiller and I just leave that on for weight in the back for the bucket. With Christmas Around the corner there deals on tractors Every were. good luck in your Choosin, ( make sure you get one with a cup holder).

Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
I have a 42'' deck Craftsman that seems to run great for me 8 years so far Its ready for blades because of the dam Goffers. It has the Briggs and Stration engine cant remember the size off hand.
I have a craftsman lt2000 42" cut with the 17.5 kohler engine. I cut my acre yard every week and occasionally the neighbor's acre. No problems so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking riding tractor/mower advise