Injector Knocks/FRx/Banjo Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Knocks/FRx/Banjo Bolts

Alright guys.

I noticed a knocking sound about 2 weeks ago. Its pretty consistent throughout the week, day in and day out. Ive seen several videos of where guys here the knock in idle, I do not. I usually only hear it with my foot in the gas. Somedays Ill hear it after 45mph and some days it'll kick in at 15mph. The knocking does stop once my foot is off the gas, obviously since I'm not pushing fuel anymore.

I just had a couple questions about what could possibly stop this from happening.

My first question is can the FRx, solution to dead head, fix the knocking? I know people have seen issues with fuel pressure once its installed but I would be getting it strictly for fuel flow. Not expecting any performance change.

My other one was can Banjo Bolts fix the problem? Obviously the banjo bolts come with a larger hole to flow more fuel, meaning more fuel to that injector.Again Im not looking for performance increase just fuel flow.

Feel free to tell me any other solutions you guys may have. Im open ears on this one.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm all experience on this one. The FRx can help if your knock is air in fuel... but the Hutch mod does a much better job, and the FRx "polishes" the fuel by eliminating deadhead.

Here's a test: Set six layers of safety (like nose up against a cement wall and set the park brake) and put the rig in Drive. Listen under the truck (from just outside the running board, no need to crawl under). Compare that with neutral. If the cackle doesn't show up with that test, then it's not too bad (yet). Injectors typically make this noise when clearances are not in your favor, but they can sometimes be adjusted to behave more quietly.

I've also had plenty of issues with loose-injector-bolt hammer.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm all experience on this one. The FRx can help if your knock is air in fuel... but the Hutch mod does a much better job, and the FRx "polishes" the fuel by eliminating deadhead.

Here's a test: Set six layers of safety (like nose up against a cement wall and set the park brake) and put the rig in Drive. Listen under the truck (from just outside the running board, no need to crawl under). Compare that with neutral. If the cackle doesn't show up with that test, then it's not too bad (yet). Injectors typically make this noise when clearances are not in your favor, but they can sometimes be adjusted to behave more quietly.

I've also had plenty of issues with loose-injector-bolt hammer.
Thanks Tugly.
I wish I could do that test but my parking break doesn't work. Could I essentially just have someone put their foot on the break while I listen?
I do plan on getting the prepump kit in March! So hopefully that'll work but that's 4 months down the road....
I have also read about that loose bolt issue, Diehard even mentioned that. I do need to replace the glow plugs eventually but that too will be next year so no pulling off the valve covers for awhile....

Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DHamSTER
Could I essentially just have someone put their foot on the break while I listen?
That makes too freaking much sense... we can't have that. We need to do everything solo, without involving our loved ones. How else are we going to raise their ire for not spending time with them?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Try this...

Get it warmed up and go for a spin where you can get up to 65 or so...

Find a nice smooth road for this...

Get up to 65 so the torque converter is nice and locked then take your foot completely off the skinny pedal.

Your injectors should go completely quiet.
If you still hear the knock... it is something in the valve train or rotating assembly.

I suspect since you only hear the knock under throttle that you may have an exhaust manifold leak.

You could always try buzz, cct, and perdel readings to rule a few more possibilities out.

Just to throw it out there...
If the armature plate has less than .003" clearance between its bottom and the injector body... there is no "deadhead" cure that can fix it. Worn metal is worn metal.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Try this...

Get it warmed up and go for a spin where you can get up to 65 or so...

Find a nice smooth road for this...

Get up to 65 so the torque converter is nice and locked then take your foot completely off the skinny pedal.

Your injectors should go completely quiet.
If you still hear the knock... it is something in the valve train or rotating assembly.

I suspect since you only hear the knock under throttle that you may have an exhaust manifold leak.

You could always try buzz, cct, and perdel readings to rule a few more possibilities out.

Just to throw it out there...
If the armature plate has less than .003" clearance between its bottom and the injector body... there is no "deadhead" cure that can fix it. Worn metal is worn metal.
Yea every time I take my foot off the pedal the truck sounds fine. Trust me I've been over 65 So it's just an exhaust leak at the manifold you think?
Uppipes or the manifold itself?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
It sounds like Christof13Tand I agree it's a single noisy stick... that test I mentioned revealed the one I had. Here's the vid from that very test:

Old 12-06-2013, 09:05 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea every time I take my foot off the pedal the truck sounds fine. Trust me I've been over 65 So it's just an exhaust leak at the manifold you think?
Uppipes or the manifold itself?
Well, unless you have addressed exhaust leaks you most likely do have some, uppipes for sure. I also had a drivers side manifold leaking, but they do make different noises then injector/valve train issues. If your like me, all of the above!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Well.... I thought it would be stick 8.... But it's on the passenger side so I'm thinking exhaust manifold to uppipe. I know Diehard just did he uppipes and for whatever reason that spot is where it still leaks.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:57 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Like I have shared before, do bellows of some brand. I did all Ford parts two and a half years ago, and am already planning on redoing uppies with bellows type pipes. It is not a job you want to do more than once. If you ever need to pull the trans, they are very easy to do from under.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Eventually I'm going to do uppipes.

Since we are on the trans topic. Can the TC be upgraded underneath?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Eventually I'm going to do uppipes.

Since we are on the trans topic. Can the TC be upgraded underneath?
You mean replaced? You would have to pull the trans so far back out of the way, you would be doing an R&R.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Gotcha thanks.