Heading to Harry's - What to Grab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading to Harry's - What to Grab?

Hey All -

i'm heading up to my uncles hunting cabin the day after Thanksgiving and since my route up that way takes me past "Harry's U-Pull It," I simply HAVE to make a stop at the self-proclaimed "World's Largest Salvage Yard." I haven't been there in two years and its always fun just to walk around if nothing else.

that said, i'm working on my shopping list now and was wondering if anyone had any input? last time I was there, I found ZERO diesel trucks, so I don't expect much in the way of engine parts, but they do have a good number of superduty's on the lot, so if one of them is a diesel, i'll certainly be grabbing all the intercooler parts from it, and whatever else I have time for.

aside from that, I don't really NEED much, but am looking to upgrade my interior with a few creature comforts.

here's a rough list. any input is much appreciated (I could probably even handle a small request or two :-)

-CC rear power doors (I've got power front doors already -though not installed yet :-)
-grey grab handles from just about any ford vehicle
-ceiling console from bronco? explorer? escape? newer F150's?
-nicer front seats (doubt i'll find any king ranch's, but who knows)
-bronco fuel tank?
-Remote Keyless Entry Module?

when it comes to the rear power doors: if they do have some, unbolting the doors is easy enough, but where to the wires route to? i.e. do they go into the B-pillar and then down to run along the rocker panel, or up and run through the ceiling? and is there a convenient connector to disconnect anywhere close or should I plan on snipping wires?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I used grab handles from two Explorers, fortunately they were the same color. The Exp only has three. After I installed the three in my 4 door I realized I also wanted one for me...so back to the pick and pull I went.

Also, if you have a 4 door, ger the clothes hanger hook. I don't know why Ford put them so any dry cleaning covered the rear window. There is already a slot in the roof metal for these along the side window. I can send a pic if it helps.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The handles I used in mine are the spring loaded kind that fold back up against the roof when not in use and they came out of a Mercury Sable. You'll have to find two of them because they only have 3 handles in each one. They also have the hooks in them for the hangars, but I eliminated them because I didn't like how they hung down into the doorway. I just fold the handle down and hang the hangers on the handle. The console I used came out of a mid to late 90's Explorer. Make sure you get the temperature sensor from up behind the grill as well and pull as much wire out and cut it off so you can use that to make your harness (make sure you get the connector that plugs into the console).

Other little odds and ends would be a SD IDM. They make 110V to drive the injectors (our only make 110V) so it's a littl ebit of an upgrade. Not what I would call a noticable improvement, but if you need a spare, get one from a SD if you have the option. The downside is that they're a pain in the butt to remove. They're tucked up under the driver side inner fender, between the inner fender steel and the outside fender skin. You'll lose some skin getting it out unless you either pull the fender completely or can remove the whole inner fender (which is no small task). Take an 8mm ratchet wrench with you if you intend to do this. It is the only way I can see that you could remove this without losing your mind unless you pull the fender.

Other SD items would be a 7.3 or 6.0 intercooler and pipes if you ever decide to do that upgrade, the e99 intake spyder is getting hard to find (unless you happen to be in teh right place at the right time and stumble onto one!). A good 17* HPOP froma late 99-03 7.3 is a cheap upgrade over the 15* pump in our trucks (get the IPR if you can as well). Grab the electric fuel pump and mounting bracket as well if you find one, they're good to use to build your own e-fuel setup.

The mid 80s F series trucks have nice chrome door handles in them that bolt right up to our trucks too. I don't know why, but they just feel SO much better than the stupid plastic handles that these trucks come with.

Other than that, if you find a 7.3 OBS you can usually get all the spare parts you need off of one (IPR, ICP, PCM, IDM, etc.)

The rear power doors have a connector inside the B pillar that disconnects the door from the truck harness. I believe the truck harness drops down from there and runs up along the rockers to the dash, so that would be a good thing to grab. Get the whole harness if you can. Also look for rear doors with clear glass if you ever intend to tint all 4 doors. There is no tint known to man that will perfectly match the factory mirror tinted glass on the rear CC doors.

I believe the remote keyless entry system requires changing the whole dash harness out, so that's not a real easy plug and play job.

Other than that, look for the more valuable and hard to find OBS parts that bring a premium. If you're willing to put down the cash up front you can make some money on these kinds of things and find some great parts for guys that are trying to keep these trucks alive. Front bumpers in good shape, clean bed (I'll take a white 8' please! LOL), rear crew cab doors are hard to find in good shape especially if they're electric, a 4x4 ZF5 transmission out of a diesel truck is worth $5-600 to most guys, D60 fronts bring about $1000 around here, an e99 intake spyder is worth about $100-150 to most guys, etc.

Can you tell I've been scouring the yards lately? LOL. I spent about 4 hours at my local yard on Friday and I still thought of things that I wish I would have gotten this weekend. I'll likely go back this coming weekend.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
thanks for the info, Leo. yeah, my main reason for the grab handle is the wife getting into the passenger seat, but I might as well do all 4 doors.

good call on the coat hook. I don't get clothes drycleaned too often, but do need to hang a coat or something there every so often. feel free to post pics, but I'm sure I can mange to find the mounting holes/slots once I drop the headliner to pain the truck. its nice to know that they're there, though.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
good info, there Nate. and good call on the SD fuel pump. I think i'll print out your post and bring it with me in addition to my own list. does anyone know if gas and diesel SD trucks both use the same fuel pump?

unfortunately, I doubt i'll have enough time to pull big stuff like a tranny, but I was already thinking it'd be nice to grab another if I could. I seriously doubt i'll find any powerstroke trucks there, though. maybe an old diesel, but even those are rare these days.

and i'll put that white 8' bed in my back pocket on the way out for you :-)

Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My handles were put in for the wife too, and the side steps. Painting may already be in your plans but you don't need to drop the headliner for the handle install. Removing the trim is all you need to remove. I used some painter's tape to give me something to make locating marks on and to provide a little protection while wielding the drill bit around. And hooking the hangers like DIY does is certainly a simpler and effective solution.

Didn't have the screw head covers in place yet...

Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
looks like it was born to be there!

thanks for the pics!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
anyone know if the gasser SD fuel pump is the same as the diesel one?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
No clue. Maybe look up a replacement part online for both gas and diesel and see if they list the same part? I'm doubting they are compatible but who knows, Ford has done stranger things.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Um, aren't the gasser fuel pumps in the tanks?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
OBS is, I don't know for sure about SD.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Don't even bother with a USED bronco fuel tank, when you can buy a NEW 38 gallon tank with all new hardware for $150

Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Yeah, I wouldn't grab a used fuel tank unless it was PERFECT. I may look for a sender from a bronco, though - for the pickup tube and float arm.

And good call on looking up SD gas vs diesel fuel pump parts, Nate.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
And good call on looking up SD gas vs diesel fuel pump parts, Nate.
I've been known to use Rockauto as a parts compatibility tool a time or two.

Did you figure it out? Are the gasser pumps in the tank on a "Thooper Dooty" too?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JP, if they have any '80-'86 model trucks, grab the metal interior door handles. They are a good upgrade to our plastic ones......right Nate..

Quick Reply: Heading to Harry's - What to Grab?