hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
Looks like a good time. Thanks for sharing Sean

Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
I wouldn't have minded missing yesterday's game...

Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Must have been rooting for the Broncos eh Sean? LOL

Jim

Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

C'est la vie.

Found some oldies from 2012.

Attached Images           
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I still have reception, Just letting you guys know that we will be on the Sand tomarrow Morning, Waiting for lil Bubbles to get home from School then were Heading out for the 3hr 58 min Drive, I'll Hotel it when we get there, Smoker and some fire wood is loaded ( wet ) but loaded .So PCH1 to marker #4 any beach name? will check back later from WIFI

Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Oceano Dunes is the official name of the place. I usually enter from Grand Avenue then head south to Post #4, after I engage the four wheel drive and air down. I will be leaving tomorrow morning about 7am, or earlier, if I get up early enough. Want to get there no later than 10am. I bought 2 of those fire logs at Winco today, and a 12 pack of generic lemon lime soda in case anyone likes that. Usually people bring enough food/drink for themselves though. I will have the Nor Cal banner with me if I can get it to fit inside the Bronco. However, you might be there before me so you won't see it. The So Cal guys have a banner as well, maybe they will have it up tomorrow morning so you can see it.

Jim

Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Pic on the way up this afternoon.

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Okay, Bronco is loaded up with everything except the cooler for the food and drinks, which I will load tomorrow before heading out. I will stop by Winco in the morning to pick up a bag of ice before jumping on the freeway, but that should not take long. Charged up all the batteries tonight, RC car, FRS radios, Nikon camera, and laptop.

Jim

Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Oceano Dunes is the official name of the place. I usually enter from Grand Avenue then head south to Post #4, after I engage the four wheel drive and air down. I will be leaving tomorrow morning about 7am, or earlier, if I get up early enough. Want to get there no later than 10am. I bought 2 of those fire logs at Winco today, and a 12 pack of generic lemon lime soda in case anyone likes that. Usually people bring enough food/drink for themselves though. I will have the Nor Cal banner with me if I can get it to fit inside the Bronco. However, you might be there before me so you won't see it. The So Cal guys have a banner as well, maybe they will have it up tomorrow morning so you can see it.

Jim
Thanks Jim, we just pulled in and I'm ready to drop out, My Wife ( bigger Bubbles) Don't repeat that LOL, took us on a scenic route 5 1/2 hours later we are here

Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Had a great time yesterday, see the So Cal thread for pics. Jim was a mad man on those dunes.

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I had a great time this weekend. And after owning the Bronco for 2 years and 3 months, and taking her on several 4x4 outings, I finally got her stuck. And not once, but twice. in the same day no less. Luckily Stewart had the foresight to bring a recovery strap, and he was able to pull me loose. The first time I got stuck I was trying to go up a steep dune, and did not have enough momentum and got stuck right at the top as I was just about to clear it. The second time I had entered the very top of a bowl, and was trying to get across the rim, but Froggy kept sliding farther into the bowl. Tried backing up, to no avail, all I did was create rooster tails. So, Stewart to the rescue again.

Lucky for me, I was not the only one to get stuck. Sean also had to be rescued by Stewart. As he tried to climb a steep sand dune, only to frame it right at the very top. (I have a video of it which I will also try and get posted tonight.) Right after Stewart pulled him down, they asked me if I wanted to try it, and being the fool that I am, I said yeah. So, having just seen Sean miss it by only a few feet, I just figured he did not have enough speed going up. So I went to the bottom, and lined up to the same path he took, only I punched it, and kept it punched. I ended up sailing over the top of the dune, all four wheels off the ground, (something else I have not done since I have owned the Bronco) and landing 21 feet from the edge with the front tires, and 12 feet from the edge with the rear tires.

Obviously, since I was driving, I don't have pics, or a video of it, however, Stewart has pics, and Sean has the video, and everyone except Scott (04badford) was there to witness it. When I hit, the ground, the only thing I was thinking at the time was "I have to drive this thing home!" LOL. Everyone asked me if I was ok, and at the time I had hurt my back only slightly doing that stunt. We checked the Bronco to see if anything was broken, but nothing was except the styro foam ice chest I had just bought that morning for the trip. It was on the floor on the passengers side in front of the seat, and it was split in two. The back ache went away after about an hour or so, and the rest of the day was uneventful. The weather did not cooperate though as it stayed cloudy most of the day, and misted on us almost all day.

Sunday was much better weather wise, and early in the morning I was able to perform a rescue of my own. I got up early, and was bored because I had forgotten to bring the inverter so I could use the laptop to watch DVD's, so I went out in the dunes solo. And just happened to spot a father and young daughter stuck at the crest of a dune just like Sean and I had been the day before (only on a different dune) I went over to see if I could help even though I had no winch or recovery strap. They were in a small Toyota 4x4 (I don't know the name of it), and he had a strap, so I just went to the bottom of the dune, and he connected it to the Bronco's rear bumper. One short tug, was all it took to break it free, and he came by to thank me.

Later during the day as we were doing one last run in the dunes, we came upon another very steep dune. Stewart made it after 2 tries, and there was someone else there in a 4x4 Ford truck, who also made it after two tries. Since their trucks are heavier, I figured it would be easy for the Bronco to make it up. Not so, I lost count of how many times I tried to make that dune, but it is somewhere around 8-10. Anyway, I finally made it, and decided to call it a day. The rest of the day was uneventful except I unlocked the hubs prior to leaving the campsite, and got stuck. LOL. Dave Sr. locked them up, and away I went.

Jim

Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

We are not worthy Jim, no make that Wildman Jim.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

And here is Sean's attempt which prompted me to try.

Jim

Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
I think it takes a lot more than that to make Sean lock his hubs

Thanks for the pics and vids, guys. Looks like a splendid time was had by all.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Lol, it seemed a lot more exciting from the drivers seat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd annual Pismo Beach GTG