1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It's time to show you guys what Ross and Ray did for me--Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
It's time to show you guys what Ross and Ray did for me--Engine Swap

I've known for a very long time that we have some very special people on this forum.....and some very good friends. I've been pretty crazy busy since Truckstock. Those of you who attended Truckstock this year saw that the flathead on my 49 was getting pretty tired. I bought the truck in July, 2010. The engine was completely stuck. I got it freed up and had a ball with it for three years, but it was time to give it a rest. The compression numbers remained above 90 on average, but the #8 cylinder was down to 25 pounds. About 18 months ago, I got the chance to buy a good running spare flathead when a local guy here decided to put a big block in a 1952 F-5. I just tucked it away for a rainy day. The guys saw it during the first Truckstock. Take a look at Ross' face. He was already planning this last summer.

Well, Ross (Albuq F-1) and Ray (Raytasch) decided they wanted to do something very nice for me, and I am still speechless about what they did. Ross stopped at Ray's house to visit on his way to Chicago to see his family before Thanksgiving. This was one heck of a "detour". East Tennessee and Kentucky are hardly "on the way" between New Mexico and Chicago. They decided to come back to Truckstock Land and do my engine swap. I tried to tell them that I really appreciated the offer, but it wasn't necessary. They kept insisting, and I certainly wasn't going to tell them no. I hustled around for about 2 weeks gathering up parts, and I cleaned a LOT of oil and grease off the "new" engine. I also did a compression test on the new engine with a car battery which showed very good numbers, and I put an oil pressure gauge on it while cranking with the battery that showed at least 30 lbs. So it was a go. I removed one of the heads and discovered that it had been bored 60 over, and everything looked great inside. Right off the bat, Ray noticed that none of the pulleys lined up with the crank pulley. Somebody had rebuilt the engine in the past, and they left this crankshaft spacer (the one that rides on the rope seals) out. As a result, the entire bottom half of the engine was coated in oil. Luckily, I had those two bad engines over in the corner, and we ended up using a sledge hammer to get the spacer shown below off the junk engine so that we could use it on this engine.

Name:  Crank Spacer (2).jpg
Views: 808
Size:  209.6 KB

Well, Ross and Ray continued with the job, and I was forced to go out of town for work from that Friday night until the following Monday. Let me repeat, they knew I had to work that weekend, and they still wanted to come. I felt terribly guilty leaving them, but they seemed to be very content and happy in my shop. After all, they're gearheads. This is their life/hobby. I did leave them two helpers for the weekend.

Name:  The dogs.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  364.0 KB

Name:  My two friends.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  74.1 KB

The original engine coming out. We later discovered that my original engine had probably never been opened after at least 92K miles (on the odometer, who knows, it might be 192K). Standard bore pistons, Ford valves, etc. Take a look at the massive amount of gook inside my engine. Keep in mind, this engine ran very well for three years for me. I honestly don't know how any of the oil made it into the crankcase. This is unbelievable. I could honestly clean it and put new rings in it, and I'd bet it would run great with nothing else.

Name:  The Goo.jpg
Views: 3719
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  Ross and Ray removing the old one.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  136.0 KB

They worked very hard cleaning the new engine and doing great prep work.

Name:  Getting New Paint.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  153.2 KB

This included having to replace one of the exhaust manifolds, which involved removing two broken bolts from the block and fixing a couple of studs in the exhaust flange. Ray and Ross know all of the tricks, including the washer welding trick, heat, etc.

Name:  Washer welding.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  151.0 KB

Name:  Heating the studs.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  139.0 KB

Then they had some fun.

Name:  Getting New Paint.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  153.2 KB

Then we had about a 2 day delay because they discovered the old clutch was worn all the way into the rivets. We talked about whether or not to get a new one during the preparation, but the old one was working well, and we decided not to order one. That was a mistake. I should have known better. My neighbor (who owns a CARQUEST) saved the day. Here's the engine installed.

Name:  Getting there.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  140.1 KB

Name:  Wiring done.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  230.7 KB

Then we had another unfortunate problem. My original fuel pump was missing the return spring (we found it in the valley of goo in about 3 pieces). I had a really old NOS fuel pump that was awful pretty, but it was no good. The guys only got to see it run for just a few seconds before they had to go on their way. I felt really guilty and bummed about that. I got a new fuel pump that weekend and adjusted the timing. It runs GREAT!!! It has a ton more power now. I am very happy, and I will never forget what Ray and Ross did. I cannot thank you guys enough.

I am uploading a couple of videos, but it will take a little while. Again, THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH. This is a very special group of people here on this FTE forum.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Just a couple a "gangsta's" .....I can hear the wrap music in the background!
LOL!! Don't mess with Ray, he's a bad ****!

Seriously, this forum does have some truly wonderful folks on it, as well as behind the scenes(wives/better halves). I have made several friends through Truckstock and would highly recommend going to such an event if you have the chance...Truly a selfless act by Ross and Ray, and Doc, you deserve this....how many guys would ask there wife if they could have their internet buddies sleep in the guest room?
Great job guys!
w

Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great post, great photos also,

Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is great Doc! Hey Ross you coming to chi town for Christmas ???
I m putting in a 391 in my 56 some time soon! LOL !

Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
That is great Doc! Hey Ross you coming to chi town for Christmas ???
I m putting in a 391 in my 56 some time soon! LOL !

That's funny!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Great story, but I must say there are great people on this site!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!

There's a lot of magic that happens in that garage. I know, I got some back in '12. Thanks to Ross the F-2 gave me a lot nicer trip on the way back home in '12.

I think FTE just brings out the best, I again had the magic in '13, the week before Truckstock '13, in my own garage. The F-2 decided to be stubborn and didn't want to go to KY. I was feeling extremely low, feeling like there wasn't anyone to help when Craig and Duane and my neighbor Grant came over and helped change the truck's mind. After a few minutes of clear non-objective thinking we had it running like a top. I have very seldom felt the feeling of friendship I did that night, I will never forget it.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Two good helpers. Two great friends. Life, it's good!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
"With Friends like that, who needs"....mechanics! Sometimes "payback" can be a good thing!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn near brings tears to my eyes and I'm not BS'n
When I talk to people about my friends they all seem to be here or someplace close by on the WWW
Ray - Ross on my Hero Wall

Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
That is truly awesome, thanks for posting it Doc.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Wow great story. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy and I haven't met you face to face yet. Ross and Ray are a couple of class acts.
This whole forum has some of the best guys I have ever met. I can't wait to actually get to see some of you one of these days.
Many of you have been instrumental in my non-mechanic self getting as far as I have.

Doc, now get with the videos.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Fantastic write up

Great story about a couple of great guys! Big thumbs up to Ross and Ray

Bobby

Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Ross and Ray ROCK!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Here's a short video I shot of it running very shortly after I got the fuel pump installed. I don't even think I had timed it before this.

Quick Reply: It's time to show you guys what Ross and Ray did for me--Engine Swap