WMO/clean unused oil ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Yup; works fine. Just got to take a look at the lever and see where it should be compared to the springed-slidey-thing in the top of the pump, such that when the lever is pulled 'on' it doesn't interfere, and when it is off, it pushes against said slidey-thing. Easier done than said.
yes, easier done than said. after reading tons of posts on the subject, it scared the hell out of me to even think about putting that cover on by myself, even though i'm a mechanic full time. i inspected the hell out of it to make sure that it just pushes on the arm like that, nothing complicated at all. easy to do right, but better be sure you're doing it right

Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mixed 60% virgin motor oil, and or ATF with #2 and 5% RUG with out a problem, in a stock fuel system, to 32* but no colder went back to pure #2 for the winter. the IdI will run on mineral oil,(Suntan lotion) in a pinch.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speedwrench72
I have mixed 60% virgin motor oil, and or ATF with #2 and 5% RUG with out a problem, in a stock fuel system, to 32* but no colder went back to pure #2 for the winter. the IdI will run on mineral oil,(Suntan lotion) in a pinch.
i got in trouble a few days ago trying to start on 75% WMO 25% #2 when the temp dropped to about 25. wore the batteries down and couldn't quite get it to come to life before work. got it to life that evening with fully charged batteries and a temp around 35, switched the mix to about 50/50 and all is well again, cold starts are only a few seconds of cranking, and i can switch to the 75% tank for all but startups and shutdowns. these darn things will run on just about anything, and i'm loving it!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM
d-day
Elder User
So just a little update guys, I see this have been a active thread lol.. I've been running 2 gallons of clean atf +4 at fill up roughly 18-19 gallons. Haven't had any problems yet

Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 PM
83capril
Elder User
Originally Posted by d-day
So just a little update guys, I see this have been a active thread lol.. I've been running 2 gallons of clean atf +4 at fill up roughly 18-19 gallons. Haven't had any problems yet
Is this "clean" as in virgin unused ATF?? If so you should be fine. I think the biggest issue is getting the used oil, atf, etc clean of metal particles or other foreign things.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM
d-day
Elder User
Originally Posted by 83capril

Is this "clean" as in virgin unused ATF?? If so you should be fine. I think the biggest issue is getting the used oil, atf, etc clean of metal particles or other foreign things.
Yes clean as in virgin lol, any pros in using just 2 gallons?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The old deuce and a halfs were multi-fuel diesel, there are undoubtedly still some around, if maybe in some state national guard armories. The military has little need for gasoline in recent years, having switched to vehicles like the Humvee and engine turbines. Basically there is one fuel used for Army aircraft and support equipment, vehicles, and generators. Jp8 is good stuff. It's supposed to be dispensed with anti-fungal and a de-icer like PRIST. An old motor sergeant said that he was part of the "red ball express" and for some reason the correct fuel wasn't available. They mixed up a batch of gasoline and 90 weight gear oil and were on their way. Said it smoked pretty bad, but got the job done. Hm.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
#2 in most of the USA is about 47 cetaine there are several types of mineral oil, mineral oil is way more refined than diesel, so some types are edible, and used as a laxative, or sun tan lotion and some are used as coolant, or lubricant in the food service industry, and is a major component of hydraulic fluid. warning, some hydraulic fluids are made fire resistant, and will not burn well at all. you can try a burn test. I prefer to use #1 to cut my oil with, but is costly, RUG will thin the oil's viscosity some, that's why I try to get 0-20 WT or ATF, I use a double dose of 911 or similar fuel additive to make me feel better, and have a drain to remove free water that may drop out of the mix. (from collecting from rain wetted barrels) and filter to 10 microns when dispensed, IMO that most any motor, conventional oil, or synthetic could be burned in the summer up to 70%, my source my have dried up.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM
83capril
Elder User
Originally Posted by d-day
Yes clean as in virgin lol, any pros in using just 2 gallons?
I myself think you would be fine running 2 gallons per tank. ATF has a lot of detergent in it and should help clean stuff up I would think...

I have heard of using ATF in your engine just before an oil change to help clean it some. Drain about a quart out, top off with ATF then run it for a bit. Then drain and refill with fresh oil & filter. I have done it. Never have heard what the magic # is for time or miles. Since I have been using Pennzoil/ Shell with the cleaning additive I no longer use ATF. I really like that oil.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
d-day
Elder User
What other kind of additives are you using aside from atf

Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM
83capril
Elder User
I myself run no other additives. I have mixed in a small amount of acetone. Like a couple shots per gallon to thin it. I did buy some diesel 911 just in case for winter. Didn't need it. Intact the truck ran well all winter. I did cut back on mixing in oil though as it was getting hard to start in the really cold days. Yet my truck is hard to start in summer. I need to redo my return lines and O rings. Then I want to check the glow plug system over.

I have done some Google searching and there is a lot of info on this subject. I don't buy into the fact that running oil/atf in these trucks for fuel will harm them. I feel it helps lubricate the pump and saves on my fuel cost. If I could get more oil I would to run.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
d-day
Elder User
So a little update, I've been running 50-75% clean/new atf and the truck has never ran this good. I had a little rough idle to where you could see the antenna move side to side... completely gone now! Runs so smooth, quite still the same amount of power as well

Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM
83capril
Elder User
Good to hear, mine is hard to start when I run 25% oil. Yet it's always hard to start. I need to double check my GP system and redo my return lines.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:23 AM
Guardian2433
New User
I thought about running Waste Motor Oil. Might smoke a lot tho

Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
get the magnets out of blower motor or window motor. They are real stout. I always save these.

Quick Reply: WMO/clean unused oil ...